Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Opinions on Babe Ruth cuts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272847)

tha-rock 08-26-2019 11:26 PM

Opinions on Babe Ruth cuts

2 Attachment(s)
I have two Babe Ruth cut autographs, which I'll describe as #1 and #2.

Ruth #1 appears to have been cut from the corner of an autograph album and is in steel tipped fountain pen.

Ruth #2 appears to be fountain pen.

I would appreciate your educated opinions on the authenticity of these.

Bpm0014 08-27-2019 07:29 AM

No good and no good.

Fuddjcal 08-27-2019 08:38 AM

Here's what I learned in Logic 101 about 40 years ago and I'd like to give you a quick lesson of everything I learned...

If all cuts are fake; therefore, the Babe Ruth cuts are fake.

Hope that helps in your "cuts" quest.

khkco4bls 08-27-2019 01:49 PM

I think number one looks better than number two but they're both fake

Kco 08-27-2019 04:49 PM

Bad on both, slant and letter formation is way off on both

w7imel 08-27-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuddjcal (Post 1911933)
Here's what I learned in Logic 101 about 40 years ago and I'd like to give you a quick lesson of everything I learned...

If all cuts are fake; therefore, the Babe Ruth cuts are fake.

Hope that helps in your "cuts" quest.

Cuts for the most part are fake. That and pencil...I avoid both. Im not saying there arent some good ones sprinkled in but I avoid them all!!!!

tha-rock 08-28-2019 04:43 PM

Thanks, guys. You don't know how much I appreciate you weighing in here.

I'm trying to take a much more critical look the autographs in my collection and determine which are not good and as folks on here have said, many of the rarer HOF sigs I got decades ago are most likely no good.

I'll probably post more in the future- again, many thanks for your comments.

homerunhitter 09-15-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w7imel (Post 1912117)
Cuts for the most part are fake. That and pencil...I avoid both. Im not saying there arent some good ones sprinkled in but I avoid them all!!!!

this is the first time I have ever heard that cuts for the most part are fake. can you please elaborate? I ask only because I want to learn as much as possible from you guys and the autograph hobby in general, especially since I collect HOF autographs and have all of the common and middle level guys and now going into the HOFers that are on average of $500-$900+ I dont want to invest in a bunch of cuts if they are fake (cuts are mostly whats avail on the market for these guys that I need for my HOF collection)

How about those perez steele postcards that have cut autographs and have been authenticated by PSA/Beckett etc...are they pretty safe to be real? (theres a ton on EBAY currently) Thanks

yanksfan09 09-15-2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homerunhitter (Post 1917127)
this is the first time I have ever heard that cuts for the most part are fake. can you please elaborate? I ask only because I want to learn as much as possible from you guys and the autograph hobby in general, especially since I collect HOF autographs and have all of the common and middle level guys and now going into the HOFers that are on average of $500-$900+ I dont want to invest in a bunch of cuts if they are fake (cuts are mostly whats avail on the market for these guys that I need for my HOF collection)

How about those perez steele postcards that have cut autographs and have been authenticated by PSA/Beckett etc...are they pretty safe to be real? (theres a ton on EBAY currently) Thanks

to say all cuts are fake is a facile argument that is the easiest thing to say. However it's far more complex in reality if people actually want to look at it on a case by case basis.

Yes it's an easy medium to fake. But on the flipside, it's also maybe the most common form , or one of them, of LEGITIMATE vintage signatures...

do your own homework.

perezfan 09-19-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1917130)
to say all cuts are fake is a facile argument that is the easiest thing to say. However it's far more complex in reality if people actually want to look at it on a case by case basis.

Yes it's an easy medium to fake. But on the flipside, it's also maybe the most common form , or one of them, of LEGITIMATE vintage signatures...

do your own homework.

Agree... excellent post, IMO.

That said, both of the Ruth cuts pictured are bad.

RichardSimon 09-20-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1918029)
Agree... excellent post, IMO.

That said, both of the Ruth cuts pictured are bad.

Ron Dross and Dave Zimmerman were two prolific forgers back in the early days of forgery. Dave only did his forgeries on cuts. Ron did mostly cuts and he was the "author" of the infamous B&W HOF plak forgeries. Their cuts still are circulating in the hobby :(. The last sentence in my signature here applies to both of these men.:)

todeen 09-20-2019 09:09 PM

I'm not an autograph authenticator. But here's my two bits: considering that most people here said the Ruth autos are bad, I took that into consideration. I looked at the PSA website at their "legitimate" examples, and determined that your two examples have the "R" going way too far in both instances. On PSA's website, Ruth's R usually stops between the "u" and the "t", whereas it seems that both of yours extend beyond the "t" and stop at the "h." There are plenty of autos there for you to compare.

https://www.psacard.com/autographfac...l/babe-ruth/42

As for consideration that all cut signatures are fake, in my opinion, is crap. I think you would be well served if they could provide you provenance with their signature, but as others have said, autograph books were a very popular way to collect autographs. I bought a Rogers Hornsby cut signature, and the seller provided provenance from where he got it. I didn't like it because the signature appeared lighter in person than in the photos - I thought he darkened the ebay photo to make the signature appear bolder, so I resold it. But it was real.