Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Rounded corners ? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=341440)

823dek 10-13-2023 08:18 PM

Rounded corners ?

WHY DO ROUNDED CORNERS HAVe A NUMERICAL GRADE ? ..CMON PAPER DOESNT LOSE BY ITSELF, NONE OF THESE SHOULD HAVE A NUMERICAL GRADE BECAUSE PAPER DOESNT DISSAPEAR ! HAVE HAD THEOLOGYS PYSCHOCYBERNETICS, ACHOVIES, SYNNOPSISES, PRESBYTERIANS AN OTHERS SAY STUPID STUFF...PAPER DOES NOT BOOGY DOWN THE ROAD IT IS TOUCHED IN A STOP SIGNED SHAPED AND FORmEd to this over the years,,,UNLESS THE CARD IS SO SUPER RARE N167 BOSTON GARTER, TEXAS TOMMY...IT IS ALL BS, AGAIN CORNERS DONT DISSAPEAR UNLESS THEY ARE TRIMMED !!!!....UULK

Casey2296 10-13-2023 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 823dek (Post 2380401)
WHY DO ROUNDED CORNERS HAVe A NUMERICAL GRADE ? ..CMON PAPER DOESNT LOSE BY ITSELF, NONE OF THESE SHOULD HAVE A NUMERICAL GRADE BECAUSE PAPER DOESNT DISSAPEAR ! HAVE HAD THEOLOGYS PYSCHOCYBERNETICS, ACHOVIES, SYNNOPSISES, PRESBYTERIANS AN OTHERS SAY STUPID STUFF...PAPER DEOS NOT BOOGY DOWN THE ROAD IT IS TOUCHED IN A STOP SIGNED SHAPED AND FORmEd to this over the years,,,UNLESS THE CARD IS SO SUPER RARE N167 BOSTON GARTER, TEXAS TOMMY...IT IS ALL BS, AGAIN CORNERS DONT DISSAPEAR UNLESS THEY ARE TRIMMED !!!!....UULK

Why are you shouting?

G1911 10-13-2023 09:18 PM

Why the caps? Why the randomly appearing atheism in the middle? Why do you hate Presbyterians specifically over other sects? How much have you had to drink? Why would a rare card be able to naturally have rounded corners without training but a common card would not be able to? What is wrong with you? Did you recently escape from a mental health facility?

So many questions!

NiceDocter 10-13-2023 10:29 PM

maybe

The OP may have a valid point..... cards with rounded corners should probably be an "A" since paper is actually missing..... I think thats what hes saying anyhow.... still comes down to eye appeal with me as far as if I want to pay $$ for any given card.

brianp-beme 10-14-2023 12:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Tom Barker game card of Hal Chase begs to differ.

Brian

Snowman 10-14-2023 03:30 AM

I'm OK with giving cards with rounded corners an A, as long as we give OC cards an F.

Vintagedeputy 10-14-2023 05:47 AM

At what percentage of rounding do we now start counting the rounding of a corner as missing paper?

Slippery slope, bad idea.

Leon 10-14-2023 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey2296 (Post 2380409)
Why are you shouting?

alcohol.

icurnmedic 10-14-2023 08:01 AM

Op is a good guy , he just does not believe in the rounded corners phenomenon . No more, No less.
FWIW probably not drinking either, LOL.

bnorth 10-14-2023 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icurnmedic (Post 2380475)
Op is a good guy , he just does not believe in the rounded corners phenomenon . No more, No less.
FWIW probably not drinking either, LOL.

LOL, he is not the only one. I have seen many that my first though is those are counterfeit because there is no way you could even make corners that round from natural wear. For the record I quit drinking 30 years ago.:)

nineunder71 10-14-2023 09:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I think many dog-eared corners are from natural wear, including this PSA1

bnorth 10-14-2023 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nineunder71 (Post 2380488)
I think many dog-eared corners are from natural wear, including this PSA1

I agree that those look natural. The card is overall beat up and dirty. For me the highly questionable ones have that much or more corner wear and the rest of the card looks NrMint.

brianp-beme 10-14-2023 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A decent chunk of my collection has rounded corners, like these two E90-1 cards I do agree with Ben that it is the Near Minty cards with evenly rounded corners that raises eyebrows.

Brian

ValKehl 10-14-2023 12:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 823dek (Post 2380401)
WHY DO ROUNDED CORNERS HAVe A NUMERICAL GRADE ? ..CMON PAPER DOESNT LOSE BY ITSELF, NONE OF THESE SHOULD HAVE A NUMERICAL GRADE BECAUSE PAPER DOESNT DISSAPEAR ! HAVE HAD THEOLOGYS PYSCHOCYBERNETICS, ACHOVIES, SYNNOPSISES, PRESBYTERIANS AN OTHERS SAY STUPID STUFF...PAPER DEOS NOT BOOGY DOWN THE ROAD IT IS TOUCHED IN A STOP SIGNED SHAPED AND FORmEd to this over the years,,,UNLESS THE CARD IS SO SUPER RARE N167 BOSTON GARTER, TEXAS TOMMY...IT IS ALL BS, AGAIN CORNERS DONT DISSAPEAR UNLESS THEY ARE TRIMMED !!!!....UULK

I'm so glad you are okay with an E224 Texas Tommy card having rounded corners, and presumably, other significant flaws as well. :)

jingram058 10-14-2023 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 2380523)
A decent chunk of my collection has rounded corners, like these two E90-1 cards I do agree with Ben that it is the Near Minty cards with evenly rounded corners that raises eyebrows.

Brian

+1 on all you say there.

Virtually all of my pre-war has rounded corners to varying degrees. Also creases, thumb tack holes, tape residue, paper loss, trimming, scrapes and scratches. But I do have a few that don't suffer from all of that. I would put it at 90 percent do, 10 percent don't.

Rhotchkiss 10-14-2023 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
THIS CARD HAS NO CORNERS

(or it has 360 of them)

jingram058 10-14-2023 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 2380578)
THIS CARD HAS NO CORNERS

(or it has 360 of them)

Pretty darned cool, sir!

robw1959 10-14-2023 12:41 PM

The direct answer to the round corner question is that kids who collected those cards long ago played simple games with them. One of the main games involved tossing a card in the card so that the corners spun around and landed randomly on the pavement or whatever hard surface was there. That is the primary reason why so many vintage cards have rounded corners.