Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Raw T card buying on Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=135344)

Jmad 04-05-2011 08:27 PM

Raw T card buying on Ebay

I'm brand new to the T cards (spending most of my time in the post war forum, you guys have made me jealous with your pick ups!) and am apprehensive of buying raw on Ebay due to lack of knowledge. I have been looking at slabbed cards, but they are all at or above SMR prices (and mostly BIN. Grading isn't necessarily important to me at this point, but authenticity is!

Who are the trusted Ebay sellers you guys feel comfortable buying cards raw??

Thanks for any advice!

willworkforT206 04-05-2011 09:35 PM

Raw T card buying on Ebay

You can't go wrong with buythatcard. When cards are trimmed, he discloses it in the ebay listing. Just read the description box in the listing closely. buythatcard is a top notch seller for raw vintage cards...and he's also a Net54 board member. I've bought many raw T206s from him without any issues.

Good luck.

Steve

FrankWakefield 04-05-2011 09:36 PM

What if you bought a few raw cards from some of the folks on here who are trustworthy and who sell (here, directly, or on eBay)?

That way you'll be sure you're getting the real thing. Once you have a few in hand, you should be on your way to being able to discern real cards from reprints, and problem cards from ok cards. And in the process, you will befriend a few folks here. Then, you can email them about cards you're after, they can check the auctions, and tell you what they think. I've done that for half a dozen folks... some of the old guys won't mind helping you a bit.

sportscardpete 04-06-2011 07:06 AM

If you ever need help you can shoot me a PM!

Try this search out for t206's:

(t206, t 206) -rp -reprint -reprints -2010 -2009 -topps -etopps -honus

And do auction only.

This should help weed out all the other crappy stuff =)

Jmad 04-06-2011 07:36 AM

Thanks for the tips Steve and SCP!!!

Frank- I check B/S/T daily, but haven't found anything I am looking for. I want my first few to be T205, and it seems the cards haven't been what I am after. They are also a little less frequent than the 206's. That does make me think to check some member pages for Ebay ID's though. Thanks for the advice.

nebboy 04-06-2011 08:13 AM

It is true a lot less T205s here on B/S/T but there here.
Ive made some good buys and trades.
The T205 guys have helped me out ALOT and contunue to send info ana offers all the time. :D:D:D:D

OH and THANKS PETE for the search I just changed it to T205 and saved it - worked great!!

Big Ben 04-06-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportscardpete (Post 884559)
If you ever need help you can shoot me a PM!

Try this search out for t206's:

(t206, t 206) -rp -reprint -reprints -2010 -2009 -topps -etopps -honus

And do auction only.

This should help weed out all the other crappy stuff =)

Thanks for the search tip!:) That weeds out a lot of junk!

rp12367 04-06-2011 09:52 AM

Good Tip

I run almost the same search as Pete suggested if really want to narrow it down even more, check the Include Description box and it will knock out even more junk. Still some stuff may slip though the cracks...

rp12367 04-06-2011 10:22 AM

Sellers/Tips

As for sellers on e-bay. I have had many trouble free transactions with yankeeinmaine, joesvintagesportscards, cookiemonster501 just to name a few off top of my head. Plus the B/S/T here is a great place to look. Also don't dis-regard low grade, graded cards. If you do some searching sometimes they can be cheaper than raw cards of same player/condition and you know there legit and you're not guessing if it's a Fair SGC 20/PSA 1.5, Good SGC 30/PSA 2 etc... Also it will help get you familiar with grades and you will be able to spot fakes/reprints etc easier. My rule of thumb is if it's a SGC30/PSA 2 or under common, I break it out of the holder as the price difference is negotiable raw or slabbed. Hope this helps some. Best of Luck with your collection.

tbob 04-06-2011 10:26 AM

Jmad- it's not only on ebay that you can get stung buying a raw card, I have purchased raw cards from different prominent auction houses which were later graded as authentic because they were trimmed. I bought a lot of E94 cards about 2 years ago from a major auction house and 2 of the 10 came back trimmed. I also bought a rather expensive card on the BST which was raw but looked fine and had it graded 2-3 years later and it came back from SGC as authentic. You just never know. The best thing to do is to read this board with all the good tips on detecting altered cards, use your experience, try buying a small order first from a new dealer/seller to see how his customer service, packaging, response time, fairness in grading is, and then go from there. There are nice raw cards on ebay which you can pick up at good prices, it just takes a sense of awareness. Good luck!
tbob

Jmad 04-06-2011 12:31 PM

Ralph and TBob- great advice and thanks for sharing with me. I guess there really is no way to protect yourself without being educated enough to discern the differences between real and fake/altered. I have a lot to learn about T cards, thanks again for your help!

Jmad 04-06-2011 07:46 PM

Anyone have a history with Stevens Creek Sports Cards? He goes through pretty good detail as to the condition of the cards. For graded examples, these seem to be the best descriptions I've seen! He has 100% positive feedback and has quite a few listed.

Leon 04-07-2011 02:23 PM

yeap

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmad (Post 884754)
Anyone have a history with Stevens Creek Sports Cards? He goes through pretty good detail as to the condition of the cards. For graded examples, these seem to be the best descriptions I've seen! He has 100% positive feedback and has quite a few listed.

I have bought from them many times with no issues. I don't recall of hearing of any either. Good luck!!

Jmad 04-07-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 884959)
I have bought from them many times with no issues. I don't recall of hearing of any either. Good luck!!

Thanks for the response! I made my first purchase and can't wait to get it in hand!! I finally get the join the "Pick Up" thread!! :D