Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CLOSING TONIGHT - Love of the Game Auctions Spring Premier Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=281495)

Al C.risafulli 04-11-2020 09:14 AM

CLOSING TONIGHT - Love of the Game Auctions Spring Premier Auction

Hi everyone:

I hope this email finds you and your loved ones healthy and safe.

Just a reminder that tonight is the closing night of Love of the Game's Spring Premier auction. Extended bidding begins at 9PM eastern time, and the double overtime period begins at 2am.

There are a lot of highlights in this auction, but a few that are particularly relevant to this board:

Lot #1 is a recently-discovered T206 Ty Cobb w/Ty Cobb back.

The auction also features an enormous selection of 1914 and 1915 Cracker Jack - including a complete 1914 set (#5 on the PSA Registry), offered card-by-card, plus all the extra cards issued in 1915, including all the pose and player variations. You can find those here.

Also included in the auction is a host of memorabilia related to the 1919 Black Sox scandal, including cards, autographs, and World Series programs and ticket stubs.

We also have a large assortment of signed baseballs, including a lot of outstanding team-signed baseballs (check out the St. Louis Browns balls, all among the finest vintage signed baseballs I've ever seen).

As always, I hope you've found the auction entertaining, and best of luck to all our bidders and consignors.

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/catalog.aspx

Please stay healthy!

-Al

Jay Wolt 04-11-2020 09:20 AM

Al Good luck tonight

3-2-count 04-11-2020 06:53 PM

Good luck Al.

mannybb24 04-11-2020 08:39 PM

I know the auction is hours from closing tonight but I made the mistake of not bidding before extending bidding so I am unable to bid.
So, if the winner of lot 657, the Nat Strong Album, would be interested in making a quick turnaround buck I would love to hear from them.

Thank you,
Steve

mouschi 04-11-2020 09:10 PM

Some of those colored woodcuts are really pretty!

unamuzd1 04-12-2020 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mannybb24 (Post 1970207)
I know the auction is hours from closing tonight but I made the mistake of not bidding before extending bidding so I am unable to bid.

I goofed and did the same thing on a different item. Al Bumbry hit the first home run I ever saw, when I was five or six. I'd meant to get a bid in on his bat from the seasons when I was five or six, but didn't get around to it until 9:06 pm. Oops!

mantlefan 04-12-2020 07:47 AM

Cobb

Opinions on Lot #1 206 Cobb/Cobb back closing at $70K?

Weak economy? Would the consignor have done better with a more prominent Auction House?

chriskim 04-12-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1970280)

Weak economy? Would the consignor have done better with a more prominent Auction House?

It seems to be latter, i didn't realize they had Cobb back until it was already under 15-min rules. I would have had put in my bid and try to win that for under $100k

Republicaninmass 04-12-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1970280)

Actually it was 86k after the BP, add that people have to pay sales tax and it sold in REA for 108k in 2018, I think it was fair. The sky isnt falling and it seems more of these cobb/cobbs are being found.

mouschi 04-12-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 1970300)
It seems to be latter, i didn't realize they had Cobb back until it was already under 15-min rules. I would have had put in my bid and try to win that for under $100k

Same - I didn't see it until the under 15 minute rule ... also I don't have $100k for it.

mechanicalman 04-12-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 1970300)

For three weeks, the very first lot in the auction has an image of the Cobb back clearly displayed, and it’s the AH’s fault you didn’t see until late Saturday night?

x2drich2000 04-12-2020 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mechanicalman (Post 1970313)
For three weeks, the very first lot in the auction has an image of the Cobb back clearly displayed, and it’s the AH’s fault you didn’t see until late Saturday night?

Not to mention it was posted in about 1/2 the LOTG emails, including those for the consignment deadline before the auction opened. It also had a full page write up in the catalog, and the back scan was the only thing on the front inside cover. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this also the worst condition example?

chriskim 04-12-2020 09:33 AM

Quote:

I am sorry, it is totally my fault becuz I didn't even know such AH exist at all.

chriskim 04-12-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1970310)
Actually it was 86k after the BP, add that people have to pay sales tax and it sold in REA for 108k in 2018, I think it was fair. The sky isnt falling and it seems more of these cobb/cobbs are being found.

What sales tax? This AH doesn't charge sales tax ..... yet!

3-2-count 04-12-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

This!

chriskim 04-12-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x2drich2000 (Post 1970320)
Not to mention it was posted in about 1/2 the LOTG emails, including those for the consignment deadline before the auction opened. It also had a full page write up in the catalog, and the back scan was the only thing on the front inside cover. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this also the worst condition example?

Please do NOT blame me for not getting the Cobb back for under $100k, keeping such amount of money in my bank probably a better choice. $100k will make a lot more money in stock market than investing on a Cobb back.

pokerplyr80 04-12-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

I agree. There seem to be a lot of these available lately, relatively. And this wasn't exactly a high eye appeal for the grade example. I don't think the result would have been much different at another AH.

mantlefan 04-12-2020 10:18 AM

Cobb/Cobb

Quote:

There were no taxes collected by LOTG on this card unless the winner lived in New York.

So if the winner of this card for $108K in REA 12/18 was the seller, he took a $38,000 loss last night. Ouch!

LOTG has a much lower profile than REA, Heritage, Goldin, Lelands, Mile High etc. so I can understand how a potential bidder for this card might not have been aware of the auction.

Just goes to show you, when in doubt, use REA.

chriskim 04-12-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1970342)
There were no taxes collected by LOTG on this card unless the winner lived in New York.

So if the winner of this card for $108K in REA 12/18 was the seller, he took a $38,000 loss last night. Ouch!

LOTG has a much lower profile than REA, Heritage, Goldin, Lelands, Mile High etc. so I can understand how a potential bidder for this card might not have been aware of the auction.

This!!! And I still have my money with no regret but feel bad for the consignee. But I would think the consignee is probably getting 5% to 10% of reverse commission.

Kawika 04-12-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1970342)

Frank: It is plain to see that you have a personal bitch with Al. Your predictable LOTG teardowns are mean spirited and unbecoming. Give it a rest, old boy.

mantlefan 04-12-2020 10:29 AM

Rebate

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 1970343)
This!!! And I still have my money with no regret but feel bad for the consignee. But I would think the consignee is probably getting 5% to 10% of reverse commission.

A 10% reverse commission would net him $77K. Still a long way from $108,000.

3-2-count 04-12-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawika (Post 1970347)
Frank: It is plain to see that you have a personal bitch with Al. Your predictable LOTG teardowns are mean spirited and unbecoming. Give it a rest, old boy.

Bingo! Agreed!

RCMcKenzie 04-12-2020 10:32 AM

Cobb

There is a market value for T206 Cobb's with common backs. For rare backs that are 10's of thousands of dollars, you are better off looking at what the 2nd under-bidder bid, to guess the market value. I find it difficult to believe that anyone who knows what a Ty Cobb back is, has never heard of LOTG.

Are they the last of the Mohicans as far as late, late auctions? I used to like to stay up late, but now it's past my bedtime. Rob

mantlefan 04-12-2020 10:37 AM

Bitch

Quote:

Happy Easter to you too David.

David, I'm just making observations about 2020 card prices and auction houses.

Where do you see "mean spirited and unbecoming" comments in this thread?

mantlefan 04-12-2020 10:39 AM

Minion

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1970349)
Bingo! Agreed!

Another minion of LOTG pipes in!

Read the comments of how bidders weren't aware of LOTG and how they're critical of their late, late closing times. I guess they "have a personal bitch with Al" too.

chriskim 04-12-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 1970350)
I find it difficult to believe that anyone who knows what a Ty Cobb back is, has never heard of LOTG.

That's me... :(

3-2-count 04-12-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1970354)

You finally got something right for a change. Congratulations!

https://photos.imageevent.com/threet...nt/minions.jpg

Leon 04-12-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 1970357)
That's me... :(

Then you are not very observant. Only reading the front page of the forum, this thread posted at 10:14 am CST yesterday, would have enlightened you to the auction. Or maybe glimpsing at an ad every now and then....
I thought the price was about right for the condition.

rats60 04-12-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 1970354)

Read the comments of how bidders weren't aware of LOTG and how they're critical of their late, late closing times. I guess they "have a personal bitch with Al" too.

A thread was posted here when the auction started. Why can they find this thread, but not find the original LOTG thread? I always watch this board for new auctions to see if there are any of my wants selling. I would think any serious buyer would too. It is one of the primary reasons that I am here.

Frank A 04-12-2020 11:00 AM

I thought that whole auction brought some pretty good prices.

RCMcKenzie 04-12-2020 11:03 AM

1935 Goudey all 4 players signed

I had an underbid on the 1935 Goudey Indians card with all four signatures, including Averill. I have very few autographs in my collection and did not know how high I should go, so I didn't bid higher. I guess all 4 players must have lived a long time and attended card shows to sign. I wonder what the back story is on how the original owner got the signatures. I would like to have won that card, but I don't bid to win, if I'm not confident about what I know about an item. Is it uncommon to have a 35 Goudey with all 4 signatures? It seemed like an amazing item to me.

OriolesHOF 04-12-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

That too is my observation. As a Gastroenterologist, he just can't resist the urge to give Al/LOTG a rear delivery.

scooter729 04-12-2020 11:42 AM

I thought the 1926-29 Foxx Exhibit was very strong at $4,500 all-in for an SGC 4. Was there anything special about this one which would've driven it so high? I expected it to sell for 1/4 of that price - am I way off base?

Snapolit1 04-12-2020 12:21 PM

Wasn’t the Fox exhibits autographed?

Imagine Fox signatures are pretty rare.

Rhotchkiss 04-12-2020 12:52 PM

I think the Cobb/Cobb was a total steal (BTW- acquired by a board member). Only 24 of these known.... I don’t think it had anything to do with the auction house. I believe too many Cobb backs have been available in the past year, so they don’t feel uncommon, and the supply has put-stripped demand for now. Maybe with this low one, people will keep them off the market for a while.

Otherwise, I think the auction did very well and brought strong prices for consignors.

chriskim 04-12-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1970408)
I think the Cobb/Cobb was a total steal (BTW- acquired by a board member). Only 24 of these known.... I don’t think it had anything to do with the auction house. I believe too many Cobb backs have been available in the past year, so they don’t feel uncommon, and the supply has put-stripped demand for now. Maybe with this low one, people will keep them off the market for a while.

Otherwise, I think the auction did very well and brought strong prices for consignors.

I believe the consignor is a board member here too

Shoeless Moe 04-12-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 1970343)

Then if you had half a brain you would have won it and then consigned it to one of the other auction houses.

But no you look at the auction when it's in OT. Who does that? You are on a freaking stay at home order, you'll never have more time in your life to look at auctions.

Hopefully you will do better on the stock market with your money, just don't jump in after 4 pm when it's closed.

Kingcobb 04-12-2020 01:13 PM

Lotg

I think the results were strong for the current unknowns. I really liked the closing format. Wish they would move from 2am to midnight before they start the double overtime for us older folks.

Daryl Fraley

1952boyntoncollector 04-12-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

lol

1952boyntoncollector 04-12-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1970415)
Then if you had half a brain you would have won it and then consigned it to one of the other auction houses.

But no you look at the auction when it's in OT. Who does that? You are on a freaking stay at home order, you'll never have more time in your life to look at auctions.

Hopefully you will do better on the stock market with your money, just don't jump in after 4 pm when it's closed.

at least with stocks you can buy after 4 pm even if dont own a share

chriskim 04-12-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1970415)
.....would have won it and then consigned it to one of the other auction houses.

Is that how u flip your cards... LOL. You must be very bad in math.

LOL... I feel very comfortable still having the $100k in my pocket. I am very confident I would come out way ahead in stock than investing in this particular Cobb.

Shoeless Moe 04-12-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 1970421)
Is that how u flip your cards... LOL. You must be very bad in math.

LOL... I feel very comfortable still having the $100k in my pocket. I am very confident I would come out way ahead in stock than investing in this particular Cobb.

No genius, you said in your first post it went way low in your eyes and had you seen it you would have tried to win it for under 100K, then you agreed with someone that it would have done better at another auction house.

You also claimed to have never heard of LOTG, but somehow you are on their Site for Extended bidding.

Get your stories straight.

Republicaninmass 04-12-2020 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskim (Post 1970421)
I am very confident I would come out way ahead in stock than investing in this particular Cobb.

Sure, if you had only "bought yesterday and held until tomorrow"

I would agree a cobb/cobb isnt the best of Investments vehicles
Based on This sale and these "finds" make the pricing pretty volatile.

I used to kick. Myself years ago for passing on a lower grade one. It was literally a day before the lucky 7 find happened. I thought having more to pick from, might stimulate the market.

chriskim 04-12-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe (Post 1970423)
No genius, you said in your first post it went way low in your eyes and had you seen it you would have tried to win it for under 100K, then you agreed with someone that it would have done better at another auction house.

You also claimed to have never heard of LOTG, but someone you are on their Site for Extended bidding.

Get your stories straight.

geezz... I have never heard of LOTG... then saw this CLOSING TONIGHT post last nite so I clicked to check it out. Like u said... i have nothing else to do at home and just click click click on random stuffs.... make sense now???

I would have tried to win it just becuz i found out LOTG still doesn't charge sales tax that would seem to be a DISCOUNT to me. It would definitely do better (at least I would have bidded on it) if it was in a bigger AH.

I am still happy with the money still in my pocket. PERIOD

ThomasL 04-12-2020 02:03 PM

Man I saw this thread a day too late, def would have jumped the prices up on a few items

Shoeless Moe 04-12-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasL (Post 1970438)
Man I saw this thread a day too late, def would have jumped the prices up on a few items

You definitely missed out, lots of Black Sox items.

pherbener 04-12-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1970382)
I thought the 1926-29 Foxx Exhibit was very strong at $4,500 all-in for an SGC 4. Was there anything special about this one which would've driven it so high? I expected it to sell for 1/4 of that price - am I way off base?

Hey Scott! The Foxx Exhibit is considered his rookie card by most and has been undervalued for a long time. I would have bid higher on it were it not for the mark on the right hip on the card. I'd gladly pay $4-$5 K for a nice 4 at this point!

chriskim 04-12-2020 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasL (Post 1970438)

LOL... pls don't say things like this. Many people got pissed off we (myself included) not knowing this AH had auction closing last nite.

perezfan 04-12-2020 02:42 PM

I had 13 consignments in this auction, and was very content with the prices realized on 12 of the 13. This was in the face of a very shaky economy with lots of variables, and with REA running their auction concurrently in full-force. For me (as a consignor) LOTG realizes prices that are as strong as any other AH out there. Their descriptions are always among the most detailed, and their fees are among the very lowest. I don't know what more a consignor could ask for.

And on the buying end, it was extremely competitive going after the dozen or so lots that I was aggressively bidding on. Though I was outbid on almost all of them, I scored a couple of very tough memorabilia items that I had never seen offered before (including REA, Lelands, Heritage, Hunt, Goldin, SCP, Mile High or anywhere else).

No comment on the Cobb/Cobb, other than to say you'd have to live on another planet to have missed it. Granted, LOTG might not be quite as big as some of the others since they came onto the scene more recently. But they are the most customer-friendly, and continue to grow bigger and better with every auction.

VERY happy with the results! :)

Snapolit1 04-12-2020 02:47 PM

I guess I'm officially an old man (living on the east coast). Two auctions and I happily shut the computer off at 1030 and went to sleep. Just knowing I was not going to be spending money at 2 or 3 am was all the pleasant thoughts I needed to zonk out.

Good to see despite the worldwide economic apocalypse upon us that there are still people wiling to shell out nearly 6 figures for a card.