Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A crease's effect on card value (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=65031)

Archive 04-25-2004 10:51 AM

A crease's effect on card value

Posted By: <b>Casey</b><p>Hi all:<BR><BR>As avid vintage card collectors, I would like to post a question to the forum in order to get some input regarding the effect that a crease can have on a highly desireable card. I am currently considering the purchase of a great looking rookie card, however there is a noticeable crease in one of the corners. The crease does not take away from the overall visual appearance, but it is noticeable when viewing the card at slight angles. This card is otherwise a very nice specimen of a classic rookie. I would most likely submit this card for grading upon purchase. <BR><BR>Please provide some perspective for me in regards to how much I can expect a crease of this nature to devalue a great pre-1950 $2,000 rookie card.<BR><BR>Thank you in advance,<BR>Casey<BR><BR>

Archive 04-25-2004 01:25 PM

Posted By: <b>t-206collector</b><p>Depending on corner damage, a crease is very detrimental to the value of the card, even if it often does not affect the overall appearance. A card which would appear to be excellent or better is immediately relegated to VG status, in my opinion.

Archive 04-25-2004 01:46 PM

Posted By: <b>steve</b><p>A crease would almost certaintly lower a card to vg grade; with that said depending on its severity price would follow suit.

Archive 04-25-2004 02:14 PM

Posted By: <b>Elliot</b><p>Sounds like the card in question might only have a wrinkle, in which case it could be graded vg-ex.

Archive 04-25-2004 06:54 PM

Posted By: <b>Casey</b><p>A wrinkle is something that I am trying to understand a bit more about. From what I have read, a wrinkle appears not to disturb or break the paint of the card, which this 'crease' has not done. It's a single line that I have always considered a 'crease,' but it sounds like wrinkles are less damaging. Any more wisdome on this topic would be appreciated. <BR><BR>Thank you all to the previous replies.<BR>Casey

Archive 04-26-2004 12:55 AM

Posted By: <b>Lee Behrens</b><p>My opinion on creases is that yes they will devalue the card, but to what degree and how much depends on the location of the crease and how bad it is. There are many collectors out there, me included, who are more than willing to buy cards with creases and I will definately pay more for a caard that does no have a very noticable crease. One big negative for me is a crease in the facail area.

Archive 04-26-2004 06:43 AM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>If the card is otherwise near mint/mint or better, a visible front crease will take it down to vg. A back crease that does not affect the front will take it to vg-ex at best. However, ensuring that the card is otherwise nm-mt involves very careful analysis of the rest of the card. My advice is to assume that the card is vg and pay accordingly.