Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   PWCC's 1936 Goudey World Wide Gum DiMaggio PSA 7 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234837)

botn 02-03-2017 02:33 PM

PWCC's 1936 Goudey World Wide Gum DiMaggio PSA 7

PWCC has a generously graded 36 WWG Joe D, http://www.ebay.com/itm/142260836796 but I guess it looks better than it did before, http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...maggio-rookie/.

ullmandds 02-03-2017 02:41 PM

wow! thats some ROI!

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-03-2017 02:46 PM

So how did someone remove such a significant amount of age toning to render the untoned spots nearly invisible in this incarnation? A miracle of modern card doctoring.

Peter_Spaeth 02-03-2017 03:00 PM

A Lady Macbeth job to be sure.

aconte 02-03-2017 03:31 PM

Well, that stinks!

Wow!

botn 02-03-2017 03:31 PM

Had not noticed that the WWG Joe D as a PSA 7 sold recently in a Goldin Auction because I do not look at their auctions. Their scan was a bit misleading as it is washed out and the stain is not as obvious as it is in the PWCC scan. https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=25573

aloondilana 02-03-2017 03:41 PM

Wwg

Whoever cleaned it up did the hobby a huge favor. Great card either way.

ccre 02-03-2017 03:50 PM

HOLY MOLY. I'm in the wrong business. Definitely crazy ROI.

HRBAKER 02-03-2017 04:09 PM

Remember........

Never Get Cheated!

D. Bergin 02-03-2017 04:27 PM

It takes a lot of balls to soak a $6600 card, but I guess it paid off in end.

Still a NM (7) and you can still see the remnants of the tape stains IS a little concerning.

Wonder if that would be a (7) on any modern card with similar evidence of past taping on it.

Looking at the REA auction, it was probably cleaned up just to get the (4). Now another round of cleaning got it to a (7). :eek:

HRBAKER 02-03-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1627172)

Still a NM (7) and you can still see the remnants of the tape stains IS a little concerning.

Wonder if that would be a (7) on any modern card with similar evidence of past taping on it.

Looking at the REA auction, it was probably cleaned up just to get the (4). Now another round of cleaning got it to a (7). :eek:

Yep, some crack professional grading all the way around.

irv 02-03-2017 04:35 PM

Is there a company not out there that specifically cleans/fixes cards?

It's hard to say with this pic/card, but I would tend to believe it was professionally done?

HRBAKER 02-03-2017 04:37 PM

It may have been professionally done.
The question is why wasn't it "professionally" caught?

Jobu 02-03-2017 04:38 PM

I don't know much about restoration of cards, but to me this looks like the first card was up against some acidic paper and the two corners were protected. The result is toning, which happens in old prints that have been framed with non-acid free mats and backing. The process to remove this toning is well established and very common. If my assumptions are correct, it might not have taken a whole lot to remove the toning from this one.

seablaster 02-03-2017 04:40 PM

:eek:

D. Bergin 02-03-2017 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1627178)
Is there a company not out there that specifically cleans/fixes cards?

It's hard to say with this pic/card, but I would tend to believe it was professionally done?

There's restoration companies that clean up posters, but that's more accepted in that field.

They aren't cheap but I'm sure some of them would handle cards if given the business. This one certainly paid off for somebody.

Likely not the guy who bought it from Goldin though. They'll probably be ecstatic if they break even at this point.

bnorth 02-03-2017 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1627180)

Because there is no money in that.:eek:

BeanTown 02-03-2017 04:53 PM

Or another question should be who submitted the card and did they get a favor done. #PSAblewit

irv 02-03-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1627180)

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1627184)
There's restoration companies that clean up posters, but that's more accepted in that field.

They aren't cheap but I'm sure some of them would handle cards if given the business. This one certainly paid off for somebody.

Likely not the guy who bought it from Goldin though. They'll probably be ecstatic if they break even at this point.

I knew I had read about them. I assume they are still in business seeing as their website is still up and running.
http://www.gonewiththestain.com/

Aquarian Sports Cards 02-03-2017 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D. Bergin (Post 1627172)

THey're not tape stains. The REA listing describes the marks very well, the card is age toned EXCEPT in those odd rectangular patches, so something was resting on or protecting those areas of original color. I want to know how they removed the toning from the rest of the card to get it to match those spots of original color so well.

DeanH3 02-03-2017 05:35 PM

:eek: is correct!

bnorth 02-03-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1627197)
THey're not tape stains. The REA listing describes the marks very well, the card is age toned EXCEPT in those odd rectangular patches, so something was resting on or protecting those areas of original color. I want to know how they removed the toning from the rest of the card to get it to match those spots of original color so well.

I highly doubt this fellow Net54 member will reveal his card doctoring secrets but he would do the work for you for a small or large fee.:) http://www.gonewiththestain.com/

spaidly 02-03-2017 05:55 PM

Whoa. Incredible.

Arazi4442 02-03-2017 06:07 PM

Sorry, may be a stupid question, but how do we know these are the same 2 cards?

aloondilana 02-03-2017 06:08 PM

WWG DiMaggio

I don't care about its past, it's a PSA 7 now and I'll take it!!!

It's like a fat broad that loses 75 pounds and becomes hot.

bnorth 02-03-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aloondilana (Post 1627206)

If that is really your belief I have some awesome missing color cards I would love to sell you.

Just so you know those women that lose 75 pounds only look hot with clothes on.

aloondilana 02-03-2017 06:16 PM

Lol

So true!!

asoriano 02-03-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

i don't care about its past, it's a psa 7 now and i'll take it!!!

lolol

Neal 02-03-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

:D

Great card, and have zero problem with removing tape and stain residue

If I had the cheddar, I'd still want to own it

aloondilana 02-03-2017 06:36 PM

Wwg

Right !!! It's a darn POP 1 PSA 7. None higher!!!
Why are we even attempting to knock this card?
Any one of us would kill to have this.

BeanTown 02-03-2017 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Are we talking about shallow "Joe"

botn 02-03-2017 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aloondilana (Post 1627217)
Right !!! It's a darn POP 1 PSA 7. None higher!!!
Why are we even attempting to knock this card?
Any one of us would kill to have this.

Gee John I hope that is not how you came to own it. :eek:

Peter_Spaeth 02-04-2017 06:08 AM

If the restoration is acceptable to the community then there should be no concern about disclosing it. But somehow i am guessing PWCC is not going to do that and the consignor would not want that.

orly57 02-04-2017 06:35 AM

Quote:

That is a great analogy, but in the eyes of some (like Peter) it would be like she lost that 75 pounds by having marathon sex with hundreds of different men. Yeah, she looks great, but she is tarnished. I happen to agree with you that I don't really care if the card was soaked so long as it grades. The Mona Lisa and the Sisteen Chapel get restored all the time. I don't think any of us would consider those works of art to be tarnished or less valuable because of it. After all aren't baseball cards just small pieces of art?

Peter_Spaeth 02-04-2017 06:45 AM

There is no deception in art restoration. There is a world of deception in baseball card restoration/alteration, because rarely is any of it disclosed, and the whole point is to make a card look better and grade higher while deceiving the grading companies and potential buyers into thinking it's original.

As I said, if the restoration in this case is no big deal, then the consignor should have no objection to its disclosure. But something tells me the consignor would have been furious if PWCC had posted a picture of the SGC 50 in the auction and explained the work done by Towle or whoever did it.

Can't have it both ways. If it's acceptable and even a good thing as some seem to be saying, you should have no objection to disclosure.

orly57 02-04-2017 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1627308)
There is no deception in art restoration. There is a world of deception in baseball card restoration/alteration, because rarely is any of it disclosed, and the whole point is to make a card look better and grade higher while deceiving the grading companies and potential buyers into thinking it's original.

As I said, if the restoration in this case is no big deal, then the consignor should have no objection to its disclosure. But something tells me the consignor would have been furious if PWCC had posted a picture of the SGC 50 in the auction and explained the work done by Towle or whoever did it.

Can't have it both ways. If it's acceptable and even a good thing as some seem to be saying, you should have no objection to disclosure.

All fair points

ullmandds 02-04-2017 07:24 AM

i highly doubt this card was "just" soaked!

Snapolit1 02-04-2017 07:25 AM

Interesting debate. When I go to sell my house I'm hoping to brush over a couple of 100 flaws/issues. I won't actively deceive anyone, or make any affirmative claims that are false, but I'm going to do everything I can to make the house present well and detract attention away from its shortcomings. Might slap some paint on the side of the house that turns to hell after a few months for some odd reason. May scrub the garage door that always attracts some green mold crud. Does that make me a bad guy?

Did anyone ever answer how we know this is the same card?

spaidly 02-04-2017 07:28 AM

Vintage car restoration is acceptable (and disclosed) but collectors pay way way more for untouched, original paint, low mileage jewels that are "condition rarities". The value goes way down if a car(d) is sold as original and then you find out it was reconditioned. That, my friends, is fraud. I would have loved to own that DiMaggio if I could afford it but now it is a lie in a holder.
Scott

Leon 02-04-2017 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1627326)
Interesting debate. When I go to sell my house I'm hoping to brush over a couple of 100 flaws/issues. I won't actively deceive anyone, or make any affirmative claims that are false, but I'm going to do everything I can to make the house present well and detract attention away from its shortcomings. Might slap some paint on the side of the house that turns to hell after a few months for some odd reason. May scrub the garage door that always attracts some green mold crud. Does that make me a bad guy?

People get their panties in a wad when there is a lack of transparency. That is understandable. I have no issue with the cleaner card. It looks great. And I don't blame PSA one bit. I have been told by one of the best graders I know, who has had personal cards conserved and cleaned, said there was literally NO way he could tell anything was done to his cards. It isn't PSA's fault if there is nothing to see.

ullmandds 02-04-2017 07:30 AM

its pretty obvious its the same card...just look at the before and after for christ sake?

Leon 02-04-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1627330)
its pretty obvious its the same card...just look at the before and after for christ sake?

Who said it wasn't the same card? I agree, it's pretty obvious.

D. Bergin 02-04-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

The same discoloration marks on the front are still visible on both....even the cleaned up card.

Also, same centering and same print/toning dots on back of card.

ullmandds 02-04-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arazi4442 (Post 1627205)
Sorry, may be a stupid question, but how do we know these are the same 2 cards?

among others.

Stonepony 02-04-2017 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1627339)
among others.

Lol, have a second cup Pete!

D. Bergin 02-04-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1627325)
i highly doubt this card was "just" soaked!

Maybe a little bleach, a little of this, a lot of that.......

Look at that REA version of the card. If those lighter spots are the original color of the card, then that's not "toning". That's a stain!

I'd guess it was soaked out of a scrapbook. The "toning" is glue residue that seeped into the paper, and the lighter marks are one of three things.

#1. Old tape that covered that area, and then deteriorated

#2. Something similar to stamp mounts

#3. The evidence of whatever tool was used to hold the card in place when it was taking it's chemical bath

Leon 02-04-2017 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1627339)
among others.

others? (plural) Who?

ullmandds 02-04-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

this other...just poured my first cup!!!!

Leon 02-04-2017 08:03 AM

You said among other(s) after that? Have 1 more cup, I am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1627345)
this other...just poured my first cup!!!!

Republicaninmass 02-04-2017 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spaidly (Post 1627328)
Vintage car restoration is acceptable (and disclosed) but collectors pay way way more for untouched, original paint, low mileage jewels that are "condition rarities". The value goes way down if a car(d) is sold as original and then you find out it was reconditioned. That, my friends, is fraud. I would have loved to own that DiMaggio if I could afford it but now it is a lie in a holder.
Scott

What if all it needed was a little wet sand and buff? ;)