Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Babe Ruth auto card (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264512)

jerrys 01-13-2019 06:33 PM

Babe Ruth auto card

What is wrong with one?
I don't save autographs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey...M&LH_Auction=1

yanksfan09 01-13-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerrys (Post 1845049)
What is wrong with one?
I don't save autographs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey...M&LH_Auction=1

A lot!

yanksfan09 01-13-2019 06:38 PM

Not sure if you're asking seriously or being sarcastic/funny, but seller states its a "reprint" both card and signature are printed fakes. Only thing wrong is people are bidding on it for some reason.

Leon 01-14-2019 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1845053)
Not sure if you're asking seriously or being sarcastic/funny, but seller states its a "reprint" both card and signature are printed fakes. Only thing wrong is people are bidding on it for some reason.

Private bidding is probably just his brother and sister shilling for him.

mr2686 01-14-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1845173)
Private bidding is probably just his brother and sister shilling for him.

I've always felt that THAT type of of private bidding should be followed by Corporal Punishment. LOL

thetruthisoutthere 01-14-2019 08:52 AM

Ebay Seller Baseballcardsand collectibles

https://live.autographmagazine.com/f...ed-signed-mick

Yastrzemski Sports 01-14-2019 09:41 AM

What offends me most is the sellers arrogance in stating that no bids retracted, nonpayers will be reported, etc. As if the buyer did something wrong because the seller tricked them into bidding. If you are going to make a business built on fooling people with reprints - and you don’t put the word reprint in the title, then you have to take what comes with it. Lots of refunds, lots of bad feedback, lots of angry customers. The upside is you will fool some people and make a few bucks here and there. It’s what you signed up for.

Michael B 01-14-2019 11:39 AM

I will not defend the bozo with these listings, however he does have the words 'READ LISTING' in all caps in the title and he does have the words 'REPRINT' in caps and in another color as a separate second line in the description. If you are going to bid without at least a cursory glance at the description you must take some responsibility. The first bidder was one day after it was listed and the last bidder was 3 hours before it ended. This was not a case of several people seeing the listing at the last moment and blindly bidding on a perceived steal. I find it very offensive when people sell reprints of signed items. It is very common on ebay UK in the autograph listings, though they seem to not it in the title with 'RP'. Unfortunately there are going to be people who are going to purchase such items whether it is for legitimate purposes (cheap display) or nefarious reasons (sell to an uneducated person).

Yastrzemski Sports 01-14-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael B (Post 1845256)
I will not defend the bozo with these listings, however he does have the words 'READ LISTING' in all caps in the title and he does have the words 'REPRINT' in caps and in another color as a separate second line in the description. If you are going to bid without at least a cursory glance at the description you must take some responsibility. The first bidder was one day after it was listed and the last bidder was 3 hours before it ended. This was not a case of several people seeing the listing at the last moment and blindly bidding on a perceived steal. I find it very offensive when people sell reprints of signed items. It is very common on ebay UK in the autograph listings, though they seem to not it in the title with 'RP'. Unfortunately there are going to be people who are going to purchase such items whether it is for legitimate purposes (cheap display) or nefarious reasons (sell to an uneducated person).

As a buyer I sometimes bid on a lot of things quickly and don’t thoroughly read the description - guilty. The last time I got fooled I purchased a Juan Marichal Rookie which had buried in the description somewhere that it was a reprint. I couldn’t tell from the picture and it was around $30-40 so it fooled more than me. When I went to return it the seller threw a fit but in the end eBay sides with me because the title says it is a 1961 Topps and it is not. Similarly, this guy’s title said it was a 1933 goudey and it is not. The title should read Facsimile Babe Ruth Autograph with reproduction card. But if he writes that he doesn’t get $50 from some unsuspecting passerby. I think we’ve all learned to go right by anything that says READ DESCRIPTION but it is still misleading because the item is not what it says it is.

Michael B 01-14-2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports (Post 1845265)
As a buyer I sometimes bid on a lot of things quickly and don’t thoroughly read the description - guilty. The last time I got fooled I purchased a Juan Marichal Rookie which had buried in the description somewhere that it was a reprint. I couldn’t tell from the picture and it was around $30-40 so it fooled more than me. When I went to return it the seller threw a fit but in the end eBay sides with me because the title says it is a 1961 Topps and it is not. Similarly, this guy’s title said it was a 1933 goudey and it is not. The title should read Facsimile Babe Ruth Autograph with reproduction card. But if he writes that he doesn’t get $50 from some unsuspecting passerby. I think we’ve all learned to go right by anything that says READ DESCRIPTION but it is still misleading because the item is not what it says it is.

That is fair and true. It is easy to get caught up in the title without reading the description. When I look at a lot of items I think that I will go back and read later, but I want to get it saved for the time being and keep looking at other listings. I do agree that his listing is deceptive, but he is doing what many people do. Catch someone with the title and reveal the facts further down. Even U-Haul does it. How many trucks have the $19.95 per day on the side. It is not until you go to rent the truck that you find out that miles are additional and since it is a commercial vehicle you personal auto insurance probably does not cover it. I believe it was Bishop Fulton Sheen who said 'The big print giveth and the fine print taketh away' (later reworded and reused by Tom Waits).