Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Selling a Collection or Starting One (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169732)

HOF Yankees 05-31-2013 03:05 PM

Selling a Collection or Starting One

I didn't know where to put this so I decided here at the top. Now I was thinking this for the past two days, what is a collectors bad time selling off that prized collection that you cherish and devoted time, money and effort too, or starting that first collection and well just getting started?? I am currently in the process of selling off a modern day hockey collection that seems tougher to sell because of the semimetal value of the cards and all the time it took to accumulate the cards. It seems like when I want to sell this collection I get a feeling like "no not that one", or "I should keep that one and continue the collection", just stuff like that. Anyone else feel this about a collection you are so near and dear too. I remember back in the day when starting a collection was almost a great time cause you wonder what challenges are ahead and the amount of information out there, and what cards or memorabilia can I collect on my budget, man those days of starting a collection, seems like yesterday!

tschock 05-31-2013 03:30 PM

The hardest part is making the decision in deciding what to keep and what goes. But I've found that once I've made that decision and it's gone, I didn't miss it. Granted, this was stuff "sitting in a closet".

I would suggest asking yourself, "Is this part of my collection I enjoy on a regular basis?". If you can define what "enjoy" and "regular basis" means to you, then the decision becomes a bit easier to make (IMHO).

In my case, it was stuff I hadn't even looked at in years(?). Even though it took me awhile to put it together, it was just "stored away". As well, my "enjoyment" is looking at the cards, maybe every few months. Since that wasn't happening, I decided said what's the point, and it made the move out the door so much easier.

My $0.02.

Cardboard Junkie 05-31-2013 03:52 PM

I change collecting directions about as often as I change underwear, that is to say, about every two weeks. And I, (and everyone around me), welcome the change.:)

travrosty 05-31-2013 05:15 PM

if you cant let it go or are torn about it, then you dont want to sell it, just keep it then.

HOF Yankees 05-31-2013 08:17 PM

I went through it and keeping my favorite team stuff

steve B 05-31-2013 08:21 PM

I have a few collections, plus a bunch of stuff I bought to sell.

I don't have much trouble selling the stuff I bought to sell, aside from laziness about actually doing it.

The collections though......I seldom sell something. I've sold two "collection" cards since I joined, both going to collections that the cards just fit better. I still have a few minor pangs when I see them, but that's balanced by knowing they're in really great specialized collections.

Before joining, the last time I sold cards from the collection was I think 1985 or 86. I sold a 48 Bowman set and a couple T206s to fund a ski trip. I still regret selling the Bowman set. It was probably one of the worst sets. Berra was colorized with crayon - A yellow uniform? Maybe the kid went on to design the Padres uniforms. About 10 cards were worn round from flipping and were waxed as well. Musial had paperloss on the front, and One of the other better cards had stapleholes. I think only 3 or 4 were as good as VG.

There's a few "inventory" things that I thnk are just waiting for the right home. (Anyone collect Rexall drug store memorabilia? )

And before anyone asks, Yes I have way too much stuff.

Steve B

t206fix 05-31-2013 11:52 PM

Wow

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie (Post 1139564)
I change collecting directions about as often as I change underwear, that is to say, about every two weeks. And I, (and everyone around me), welcome the change.:)

Dave - you live in Hawaii and change your undies every two weeks? You probably get the beach to yourself...:o

rainier2004 06-01-2013 02:58 PM

Good question, I have no answers as I am currently trying to decide whether to sell my 178 CJs or continue on to finish the "set" at 180...not sure what to do and answers don't seem to be coming as I've been in purgatory with this choice for 2+ weeks now.

HOF Yankees 06-19-2013 07:51 PM

hockey collection has sold, now only need to worry about vintage baseball, and vintage football collections now