Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   TTM newbie question (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=160591)

almostdone 12-24-2012 12:12 PM

TTM newbie question

I am just starting to do through the mail autos for fun. I have gotten back a few so far and have enjoyed it. So far the majority of what I have sent have been cards but I have done a couple of baseballs and gotten them back (Bobby Doerr and Minie Minoso).

My question is does any one have any good advice on how the best way to send a ball with a SASE? I mean in the area of packaging expecially without have to make a special trip to the post office and stand in line. That is what I've done so far but it is not convienient considering the distance from my home and work.

Any tips or advice on this or anything else on TTM auto would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew

earlywynnfan 12-24-2012 12:38 PM

I use paypal to print my own labels to send it to the player. Use a small box, figure out the weight, buy some prepaid stamps (our PO has a "mail-it-yourself" machine that'll print out whatever denomination), enclose a name tag with my return address on it, and put it in my box for the mailman.

The one I just sent needed $2.80 for return, that depends on the size of the box. I include a pen, which is a problem if you use a 4x4x4 box, the best small size, because I have to snip off the back end of the pen. (put the pen and ball in separate baggies, one pen let loose on me once.)

I used to use a bubble mailer, and never had a problem with that method, either, except you can't re-use them. That way you can use a larger one to ship to the player, and have the ball ready in a pre-addressed, pre-stamped smaller one for return.

Often, since so many of the players I've written to have signed for free, I'll make a donation to a worthy cause, photo-copy the check, and send it as a thank you to the players.

Ken

PS: Warning: once you start this, you cannot stop. The thrill of going to the mailbox is highly addictive. I like the more obscure players, the ones with really cool stories, so I started reading more about baseball history and sending out tons of auto requests (I'd send a request first, with a return postcard.) If you don't have Jack Smalling's address book, it'd make a great after-Christmas present to yourself. I'd estimate about 400 of my baseballs are through the mail.

mschwade 12-24-2012 08:40 PM

Drew! Had that same question when I first started out and without a doubt the easiest way for both you and the athlete is BUBBLE MAILERS. Enclose a bubble mailer where all they have to do is peel the flap and seal it. Just got Josh Hamilton back on Saturday!

Best of luck with your TTM endeavors!

Take care,
Matt

mschwade 12-24-2012 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earlywynnfan (Post 1066179)
PS: Warning: once you start this, you cannot stop. The thrill of going to the mailbox is highly addictive.

Thanks Ken! I just read this to my wife and now she thinks you and I are the only crazy people in this world :)

dgo71 12-24-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschwade (Post 1066307)
Thanks Ken! I just read this to my wife and now she thinks you and I are the only crazy people in this world :)

Assure her, that this is not the case.

almostdone 12-25-2012 05:16 AM

My wife keeps looking at me oddly and saying "You told me you're not an autograph collector". I keep telling her I'm not this is just a samll thing but my obsession is slowly taking over.
I start to panic if the mailman is 10 minutes later than normal.
Drew

toyman55 12-25-2012 08:33 AM

Where can I get players addresses

I have never asked for an autograph in the mail. Where can I get a list of players who sign and their addresses.

Happy Holidays to all,
I love this site.

almostdone 12-25-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toyman55 (Post 1066413)
I have never asked for an autograph in the mail. Where can I get a list of players who sign and their addresses.

Happy Holidays to all,
I love this site.

I have been using sportscardforum.com Go to the TTM Manager tab and you should be able to navigate from there.

Good luck and enjoy!

Drew