Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Senior moment or just (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=149140)

WWGjohn 03-22-2012 06:20 PM

Senior moment or just

plain numbnuts? I'm down to four cards to complete my English only backs 1933 World Wide Gum set (already finished the French/English backs). I see a Ted Lyons (#7) on Ebay and wait to snipe last night. I WIN!!! When I look at the auction this morning, it dawns on me, THIS WAS A 33 GOUDEY LYONS.
It had been listed with a bunch of 33 WWG's and apparently the rose colored glasses were on really tight.

Now I turn 66 tomorrow so do I chalk this up to senioritis or just plain ole numbnuts? Anybody else ever pull this one?

John Harrell

z28jd 03-22-2012 06:33 PM

While putting together a 1956 topps set I once bought two Early Wynn cards from the same dealer at a show, about ten cards total I handed him and asked for a price for all of them, not even realizing two Wynn's were in there.

Then off ebay I saw a Jackie Robinson priced great and hit the buy it now, only to open the package when I got it to realize I bought a 55 topps instead. I even went back to the auction to check, figuring he sent me the wrong card...nope, it was me.

fkw 03-22-2012 07:11 PM

years ago, when I first used snipe services, I manually typed in the auction numbers and a few days later I won a lot of 5 mid 1980s Dan Fouts cards. I paid and got them too. I still dont know what I was trying to snipe, and why if I missed a number it still ended up being a sports card auction I won.. lol, I still have them somewhere in my junk box... :)

iggyman 03-22-2012 07:16 PM

Bama,

I can relate, I once had the brilliant idea that I needed all the Topps 1958 yellow-letter variations. A few months later, I spot on eBay a nice PSA "4" 1958 Clemente with a $100 buy it now. I quickly hit the purchase button thinking I had just found the somewhat more scarcer yellow letter. When it arrived, I soon realized that I made a big mistake and actually purchased the more common white letter. Since I had no need for it, I put the card on eBay via a straight .99 cents auction. Card sold at a $45 loss + the fees. To make matters ironic, the high bidder was the original buy-it-now seller, who promptly put it back on eBay for $100. I'm sure I made his day.

Lovely Day...

Brian Van Horn 03-22-2012 09:18 PM

Senior moment or just

John,

Happy Birthday. Now, what was the subject of this post?

;)

tbob 03-22-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadiangoudeyjohn (Post 977674)
plain numbnuts? I'm down to four cards to complete my English only backs 1933 World Wide Gum set (already finished the French/English backs). I see a Ted Lyons (#7) on Ebay and wait to snipe last night. I WIN!!! When I look at the auction this morning, it dawns on me, THIS WAS A 33 GOUDEY LYONS.
It had been listed with a bunch of 33 WWG's and apparently the rose colored glasses were on really tight.

Now I turn 66 tomorrow so do I chalk this up to senioritis or just plain ole numbnuts? Anybody else ever pull this one?

John Harrell

John- been there, done that, more than once. :(
tbob

freakhappy 03-22-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggyman (Post 977688)
Bama,

I can relate, I once had the brilliant idea that I needed all the Topps 1958 yellow-letter variations. A few months later, I spot on eBay a nice PSA "4" 1958 Clemente with a $100 buy it now. I quickly hit the purchase button thinking I had just found the somewhat more scarcer yellow letter. When it arrived, I soon realized that I made a big mistake and actually purchased the more common white letter. Since I had no need for it, I put the card on eBay via a straight .99 cents auction. Card sold at a $45 loss + the fees. To make matters ironic, the high bidder was the original buy-it-now seller, who promptly put it back on eBay for $100. I'm sure I made his day.

Lovely Day...

Thanks, I needed this :D

I'm sure you can laugh now, but surely it P'ed you off a great deal when it first happened...makes a great story tho :)

Iwantmorecards77 03-22-2012 11:37 PM

Not vintage, but I'll give it a go...

I did this last week...I needed (okay, wanted) at 1995 Bowman's Best Chris Carpenter for my rookie card collection...saw a BIN of $5, figuring I didn't have to wait until an actual auction and besides, it's only five bucks. Turns out - I accidently purchased a 1997 Bowman Chrome Chris Carpenter. Book value: 50 cents. Oops.

okmaybent@aol.com 03-23-2012 12:11 AM

Twice things come to mind.

1) I had been watching this card for a while that was $275. What I thought I was doing was hitting the "Best Offer" button but instead hit the "Buy it Now" button. I was so mad and tried to get Ebay to reverse ( it had been just 2 minutes) it but they wouldnt. However, even tho I paid too much Im very happy I got it.

2) In an auction once there was only about 2 minutes left. I meant to put in a $55.00 bid. Instead I put in a $5500.00 bid. Luckily it only went to $75 and that was a fine winning price to me. I look at this one as a blessing too because $55 wouldnt have won it and in retrospect the $75 was a good price. But had someone else put in a crazy bid to make sure that they won it I might have had to paid $500 or $1000. Whew!

David W 03-23-2012 05:27 AM

I put a bid in on a 1966 Lou Brock card. I needed the OPC version, and it was the Topps version.

I had misread the title which was 1966 Lou Brock Topps O/C.

My eyes went to the O/C and thought they saw OPC.....

zljones 03-23-2012 05:45 AM

I bought a 1954 Topps Hank Aaron rookie card from Canada for about $135. I figured I did well in the auction. But duh, I did not bother to ask the shady seller what the card measurements were. When I got it it was 2 1/2 by 3 1/2. Just a dirty reprint. I had to fight tooth and nail to get my money back and he did not reimburse for the shipping so I lost $25.:mad:

frankbmd 03-23-2012 08:55 AM

fingers and toes

I've read this thread 20, 40, 60 or 80 times. My wife suggested I mark my fingers and toes with a different color each time for an accurate count. :D:D

pete zouras 03-24-2012 05:22 AM

I once drove from Northern Virginia to the Philly show in Fort Washington (just under 3 hours), only to find (to my horror :eek:) that they were having an RV/gun show that weekend--it was the wrong weekend! I punished myself by not letting myself go to the card show the next weekend.