Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whats the oldest unopened pack you ever opened and any luck? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=153783)

GrayGhost 07-13-2012 07:47 AM

Whats the oldest unopened pack you ever opened and any luck?

I can recall studying in 1984 for a college exam, and opening a 1963 Cello I got from Mr. Mint. Got A clemente and Staub rookie, gorgeous stuff.

Later. a 1954 bowman pack from a Mr. Mint find. Nine commons, but boy were they beautiful. wish I had em today.

Anybody else open any really old packs over the years and pull anything good?

bcookie 07-13-2012 08:00 AM

2 years ago i bought 1 pack of 1978 Topps from BBCE and pulled the Murray rc

jerseygary 07-13-2012 08:16 AM

My Mom just passed away last week and going through the house I found an unopened pack of '88 Topps baseball my Pop must have bought for me and forgot to give me (I was past baseball card collecting age in '88 but he would buy me 1 pack every summer and give it to me when I visited). It's sitting here on my desk now, I'm just trying to decide when is the best time to open it up...

BleedinBlue 07-13-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseygary (Post 1013678)
My Mom just passed away last week and going through the house I found an unopened pack of '88 Topps baseball my Pop must have bought for me and forgot to give me (I was past baseball card collecting age in '88 but he would buy me 1 pack every summer and give it to me when I visited). It's sitting here on my desk now, I'm just trying to decide when is the best time to open it up...

That pack is much more valuable as is. Leave it sealed and set it aside. As it is it retains sentimental value. Opened it's just junk.

ullmandds 07-13-2012 08:21 AM

I've never purchased old packs...so my answer would be 1978 topps...eventually I got the whole set...so probably the thurman munson was my favorite card!!!!

rainier2004 07-13-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue (Post 1013682)
That pack is much more valuable as is. Leave it sealed and set it aside. As it is it retains sentimental value. Opened it's just junk.

Definitely....

sportscardpete 07-13-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseygary (Post 1013678)

You have to leave that pack in tact!

tedzan 07-13-2012 08:34 AM

As a kid (growing up in the 1940's) my very first BB cards were from Bond Bread packages.

http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...ookiestars.jpg

My first BB cards from waxpacks were purchased in the Spring of 1949 when the 1949 LEAF Gum cards were available.
http://photos.imageevent.com/tedzan7...baberuth49.jpg
In recent years (2001), I bought an unopened 1949 BOWMAN 5-cent pack from ebay. Upon opening it, I instantly realized it was a fake. It contained a
skinny slab of TOPPS gum and 5 varying condition cards of various series. Having collected the BOWMAN's as a kid, I knew this was a NO-NO !

TED Z

GrayGhost 07-13-2012 08:46 AM

Yikes Ted on the 49 Bowman. Wow.

One other from me. I used to run a card show w a friend of mine, and there was a vintage find of unopened boxes here in CT. one of our dealers opened a 1962 pack in front of all of us/customers too. He pulled a GORGEOUS Brock RC . That was prob early 90s

dherm360 07-13-2012 08:50 AM

I have a few 1951 topps red back packs that are still unopened, yesterday I opened a 77 topps, did ok, got a Munson, Ryan/Seaver, a Brett, Dwight Evans and Keith Hernandez. I actually bought it because 77 topps was the first pack of cards my mom ever bought me and got me hooked because of the Charlie Moore (Brewers) I pulled

DixieBaseball 07-13-2012 09:08 AM

86' Fleer Basketball (Jordan RC)

Ok this is not exactly vintage, but it was a cool experience none the less... I was at a local mall card show a couple of years back, and I am standing at a dealer's table when a guy walks up with his kid and asked to see the wax box of 1986 Fleer Basketball and the remaining 4 packs in the box left. (I had already spotted this through the dealer glass and was very skeptical, as it looked fishy to me since all the packs were gone except for a scant few, so I thought perhaps the packs were picked over, etc.) The guy asked how much for one pack and the dealer told him since he had already sold each of the packs in the box except the last four, he would sell him each pack for $50 each or all four for $150. The guy waivered and said he wanted to buy just one. I noticed he would hold the packs up to the light, really look at them close, etc. So anyway, the guy was able to buy one pack for $40, and then he and his son opened the pack right there in front of me. Before he opened it he showed me that Ewing was on the back of the pack, and then as he got to the middle of the pack he pulled a gem Jordan RC. As soon as he pulled it, the dealer grabbed a top loader and that puppy made its way inside within 30 seconds of being pulled from the pack. It was centered very well and pretty obvious it was going to be a 9 or 10. Not a bad investment and really cool to see it in person.

t206blogcom 07-13-2012 09:53 AM

I recently bought a partial case of 89 Bowman and bought a couple of 87 Topps and 86 Topps wax boxes - some of my favorites from my childhood collecting years - for the purposes of cheap entertainment. It was neat opening packs again, smelling the fresh cards, gum and wax - a very distinct smell that reminded me of spending youthful summers opening baseball cards. I was tempted to even try the old sticks of gum, but didn't feel like adding a trip to the dentist to my things to do, or giving myself stomach cramps from hell.

I ended up pulling at least one (in many cases 6 or more) of all the cards, stars and rookies you'd expect to find from these years. I know they're not worth much, but I've always been the collector and am in this hobby for the entertainment, not the profit.

Sadly, I ended up just donating most of the cards to a local thrift store as I had no use in stacks of commons nobody wants. I tried to get a local shop to buy some, but they laughed and said they had enough packing materials for their shipments.

In the end, it was a couple of days of entertainment for me that made me feel like a kid again and I got some pack fresh cards from it that mean something to me.

darwinbulldog 07-13-2012 10:07 AM

I bought some 1979 Topps wax packs on ebay about 8 or 9 years ago. When I was buying them, I planned to keep them sealed, but I got bored one day and, well, now the world has 20 fewer unopened 1979 Topps wax packs. I got a couple of Nolan Ryans but no Ozzie Smith.

peterb69 07-13-2012 10:23 AM

I turn the big 5-Oh in a couple of weeks. This past March I bought an unopened 1962 Topps baseball pack off ebay. On my birthday I am going to let these cards see the light of day after 50 years in darkness.

I just hope it is a legit unopened pack so I at least have a chance of pulling a HOF card.

Rob D. 07-13-2012 11:07 AM

1933 Goudey Sport Kings. Helene Madison. Bummer.

gashouse34 07-13-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darwinbulldog (Post 1013730)
I bought some 1979 Topps wax packs on ebay about 8 or 9 years ago. When I was buying them, I planned to keep them sealed, but I got bored one day and, well, now the world has 20 fewer unopened 1979 Topps wax packs. I got a couple of Nolan Ryans but no Ozzie Smith.

When I was a kid I used to save up money and my dad would take me to a card shop. He would help me out a little on the cost if I couldn't pay for it all. I remember once we bought a '72 and a '79 topps unopened packs. I remember opening them when we got out to the car...great memories. My '72 was nothing but commons but the '79 had an Ozzie rookie! Being my Dad is a lifelong Cards fan and me following his footsteps it was the greatest thing ever!

Buythatcard 07-13-2012 11:34 AM

About 5 years ago, I came across a bunch of worthless unopened packs from the 70's. Some of them included the gum. So, when I opend the packs, I decided to try the gum. Just imagine chewing a piece of chalk that was grounded up. Had to quickly wash my mouth out with the closest liquid that I could find.

Definitely not the memory I had when I was a kid and the gum was fresh.

freakhappy 07-13-2012 12:00 PM

'86 topps football

So about ten years ago I thought it would be cool to get an unopened pack of '86 football because the set is loaded with HOF'ers and includes the great Jerry Rice. I ended up purchasing a rack pack for about $15-20, which I thought was easily worth it. After going through the first two sections of the pack with no luck I didn't expect anything good in the last. Weird enough I pull a Rice RC in the middle of the last pack and it looks great! I couldn't believe I actually pulled the gem of the set! It made my day to say the least. I later sent it in for grading and received an 8.5 from Beckett...I still have the card.

Matthew H 07-13-2012 12:28 PM

My dad bought me a pack of 1951 red backs at the '91 National. He told me that if I keep it sealed long enough it would be valuable someday... I quietly opened it in the backseat on the way home. I saw a Monte Irvin and a Hank Bauer. I put them back in and folded the pack back up. That's how it sits today. One of my favorite memories for sure! I told my myself that one day I'll be able to afford some of the great cards I saw that day.

Griffins 07-13-2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1013751)

I've got a '33 Sport Kings pack, can tell it's got Weissmuller in it, so never tempted to open it.

Pup6913 07-13-2012 12:50 PM

57 topps and pulled a mint Clemente

Rob D. 07-13-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 1013783)
I've got a '33 Sport Kings pack, can tell it's got Weissmuller in it, so never tempted to open it.

The wrapper on mine was folded so tightly, it wasn't possible to "peak" at the card without unfolding it to the point it would be clear it had been opened. As much as I tried to identify the card through the wrapper, I couldn't. Plus, I was younger and foolish.

Johnny beats Helene any day of the week.

philliesphan 07-13-2012 03:24 PM

Anthony, does that mean

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffins (Post 1013783)

You can be tempted to crack some of your other vintage wax...?

I once opened a 1952 pack. I'm still mad at myself....

Matthew H 07-13-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob D. (Post 1013751)

Wow, I bet that day was ruined.

Donscards 07-13-2012 04:45 PM

1955 Topps unopened cello pack

I opened a 1955 topps cello pack around 15-20 years ago there were 24 cards----I can still remember going to my sports room and with a little penknive opened the pack carfully----one of the first cards i saw was a Roberto Clemente RC---then Yogi Berra---Duke Snider--and yes another Roberto Clemente Rookie---all the cards were near mint-mint---I would think the clementes would be at least a 8---there was not grading then----I had the pack at a Ed Keetz show in Albany for $1500 with no takers---on the way home, I thought what the heck, even if I get all commons, they are still worth $20 each---the pack was high numbers----it was the greatest pack I opened---I sold all the cards and kept the better Clemente until a friend offered me $2600 plus tickets to Aerosmith (and also to meet them)--he did the lighting for Aerosmith---I also gave Joe Perry a Larry Bird Rookie for his son at the concert.----I hate to tell the story because most people would think (oh yea--right---2 Clementes in a pack---but it did happen. Don

campyfan39 07-13-2012 06:52 PM

Keep us updated and good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterb69 (Post 1013736)
I turn the big 5-Oh in a couple of weeks. This past March I bought an unopened 1962 Topps baseball pack off ebay. On my birthday I am going to let these cards see the light of day after 50 years in darkness.

I just hope it is a legit unopened pack so I at least have a chance of pulling a HOF card.

Rich Klein 07-13-2012 07:08 PM

I have opened 1960 packs

When I was working part-time for John Broggi back in the day, he got part of the Alan Rosen Paris Tennessee find of 1954 and 1955 Bowman packs and 1960 Topps packs.

I opened one 1960 Topps pack, pulled a Mantle and quit.

At the time, that pack was 28 years old

Rich

Rob D. 07-13-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donscards (Post 1013898)
I opened a 1955 topps cello pack around 15-20 years ago there were 24 cards----I can still remember going to my sports room and with a little penknive opened the pack carfully----one of the first cards i saw was a Roberto Clemente RC---then Yogi Berra---Duke Snider--and yes another Roberto Clemente Rookie---all the cards were near mint-mint---I would think the clementes would be at least a 8---there was not grading then----I had the pack at a Ed Keetz show in Albany for $1500 with no takers---on the way home, I thought what the heck, even if I get all commons, they are still worth $20 each---the pack was high numbers----it was the greatest pack I opened---I sold all the cards and kept the better Clemente until a friend offered me $2600 plus tickets to Aerosmith (and also to meet them)--he did the lighting for Aerosmith---I also gave Joe Perry a Larry Bird Rookie for his son at the concert.----I hate to tell the story because most people would think (oh yea--right---2 Clementes in a pack---but it did happen. Don

Great story, Don.

Theoldprofessor 07-13-2012 07:41 PM

Unopened

I have a few boxes of unopened 1984 Topps lying around, and in the spirit of the evening I thought I'd open a few packs. First card ... Dale Berra. So much for nostalgia.

Gary Dunaier 07-13-2012 09:16 PM

Maybe a year or so ago, perhaps two, I found unopened packs of 1982 Topps in one of those vending machines that sell packs of cards. Usually the oldest I'll see is '86, and there are plenty of '88s and '89s.

Anyway I bought a few of those '82 packs - I think they were $1.00 apiece, maybe they were $2.00 - and I opened 'em - and I pulled a "Future Stars" Cal Ripken rookie.

GrayGhost 07-13-2012 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterb69 (Post 1013736)

I turn 50 in October. Id love to open an older pack. Im thinking of a 75 mini. Anyways, I hope its a clean pack and you MUST report to us what you pull sir

Great replies guys, keep it going.

CobbSpikedMe 07-13-2012 09:59 PM

Not terribly vintage but I have an old countertop Donruss display that holds three boxes of wax packs. It's sitting on my dresser and it has a box of 88 and a box of 89 Topps in it. Every now and then I pull a couple packs out as I walk by and tear them open like I was a kid again. It's awesome. I know I'm not going to pull anything of value, but it's the thrill of just opening some wax from my childhood that I'm searching for. And I get it every time. :D

Sterling Sports Auctions 07-13-2012 10:50 PM

I see no mention of anyone chewing the gum. In the early 90's I opened a pack of 77 Topps and decided to see what the gum tasted liked. The results, it tasted like cardboard and disintegrated in my mouth. Don't remember the cards but they must not have been any good.

Lee

CobbSpikedMe 07-13-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlingshoegiverouterguy (Post 1013998)
I see no mention of anyone chewing the gum. In the early 90's I opened a pack of 77 Topps and decided to see what the gum tasted liked. The results, it tasted like cardboard and disintegrated in my mouth. Don't remember the cards but they must not have been any good.

Lee

Lee,

I did try the gum from my 88 and 89 packs! It was terrible. It tasted like it was chemically treated and disintegrated like you said. :)

Jcfowler6 07-14-2012 12:00 AM

Random Packs laying around

3 Attachment(s)
Opened a 1979 topps and got an Ozzie Smith rookie. And the gum always sucks. No matter what stay away from the gum.

Jim65 07-14-2012 05:06 AM

About 15-20 years ago, I bought a 1954 Bowman FB 1 cent pack that had a mint Otto Graham. Other than that I have had terrible luck opening packs so I stopped. :)

GrayGhost 07-14-2012 06:56 AM

That 62 pack opened at Brian and I's show years back, I TRIED to chew the gum, it was rank and dissolved. spit rest out. YECH.

I loved 81 fleer gum. Damn Topps and their lawsuit.;)

2dueces 07-14-2012 08:22 AM

1966 Topps Football. PSA 7 Namath. Many 8's and 9 commons still in my set today. And at least 20 boxes of 1966 Monster Laffs. Prolly put together 5 sets of those. I do remember opening a 1963 Fleer Football box but can't remember what I pulled. 1965 Tall Boy football. Still have all the Bills from that box. 1964 Topps football. Still have those cards but some how they all are creased in the middle. 1966 Topps baseball. All those except the Yankees and orioles made it into my bike spokes or the inside of my baseball hat to keep the shape. :)

frankbmd 07-14-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim65 (Post 1014023)
About 15-20 years ago, I bought a 1954 Bowman FB 1 cent pack that had a mint Otto Graham. Other than that I have had terrible luck opening packs so I stopped. :)

1954 Bowman Football for me too.

No Graham, but the gum was deelicious.

Stautner was the card.

GrayGhost 07-14-2012 09:07 AM

Look at this clown;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng0AjN3TTFs

goudey1933 07-15-2012 07:04 PM

Not baseball but I opened 2 79 Topps hockey packs about 10 years ago...paid $20 each and got a Gretzky rookie and a Howe.A 1970 Topps basketball with a Maravich rookie showing through the back...kept closed and sold it.Baseball 1973 Topps ..a Palmer.Pack cost me $15 at the time.I think pre 1976 packs are priced such that unless you get the key card you will lose $$$.But is sure tempting to do.
I wish I had the spare money to relive my 2 favorite pack opening experiences...1971 with the tin coin..my 1st packs and 1975 ..the 1st year I actually collected /completed a set from packs.Memories of going through rack packs at the toy store trying to find those last evasive cards.Those days are gone but they were very cool.

goudey1933 07-15-2012 07:11 PM

What dealer these days has the best vintage selection of the pre 1976 packs? Reading the posts about the 1950's packs being opened was pretty cool.You guys must have been nervous as hell...like russian roullette.

mrvster 07-15-2012 07:54 PM

Jerseygary

my deepest sympathy about you mom.....never sell that pack...leave it as is....

Peace

Johnny

GrayGhost 07-15-2012 07:59 PM

Tho its only 23 years old now. I just got an 89 score FB pack. Itching, but waiting for my friend to get home from Maine. When I get my mini pack, hopefully in October, I'll post the photos and results here:)

sycks22 07-15-2012 08:21 PM

A couple weeks ago at a show I picked up a '82 Donruss pack for $2 and got the Ripken rookie, pretty excited about that. I also remember pulling a '84Mattingly topps rookie out of a pack in the mid '90's and was jumping up and down.

GrayGhost 07-15-2012 08:34 PM

With the newer, by comparison at least, stuff, its just the fun of opening and finding the name, eg. the Ripken in the Donruss.

I think the old pack openers, and I used to be one, are NUTS. If ANYONE opens something awesome, give us results and photos of what you pull;)

sox1903wschamp 07-15-2012 09:05 PM

Opened about four 5 cent 1962 Topps packs back in the early 80's from a card shop in Kansas City. The owner had a whole box out and was selling packs for maybe 15-20 bucks a pop. I know, in hindsight I should have purchased everything.

Don't remember any stars and I think the centered cards are in my set to this day.

GrayGhost 07-15-2012 09:19 PM

I had a dealer friend in the middle later 80s who had a huge deal coming w Mr. Mint. the day before, I went to his store, and he had a bunch of 65 cello packs. He said I could have five for 15.00 each. :rolleyes:

I remember getting Clemente, Maris and Koufax out of some of the packs I opened. AT LEAST nines. Sadly they and the packs are long gone. This thread is bringing back a LOT of memories from the good old days.

Course, then there was the 69 cello I got from the Atlanta National in 1992 from The Prince of Cards. I didn't open it till a few months later. Twelve commons, w TWO CARDS w WAX on the face in the middle of the pack. Needless to say, I WAS FURIOUS:mad:

Griffins 07-15-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goudey1933 (Post 1014588)
What dealer these days has the best vintage selection of the pre 1976 packs? Reading the posts about the 1950's packs being opened was pretty cool.You guys must have been nervous as hell...like russian roullette.

Steve Hart is your best and only choice.

GrayGhost 07-16-2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffins (Post 1014669)
steve hart is your best and only choice.

+500

www.bbcexchange.com