Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Seeking a Bit of Basketball Purchasing Advice... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265008)

JollyElm 01-25-2019 04:09 PM

Seeking a Bit of Basketball Purchasing Advice...

I am negotiating with a seller regarding a 1961 Fleer Wilt Chamberlain In Action card, which is basically the uglier of his twin rookie cards in that set (yes, weak analogy) and I'm looking for insight into what you would pay for it. It's a PSA 7 in the new slab (definitely fitting the 7 criteria visually) and the centering is a bit off. Not deserving an OC qualifier, but it's evident.

I have checked current ebay ask prices and looked at past auction prices - where a quick glance shows there is a bit of a disparity, as it seems the card has definitely trended a bit upwards in the last year or so - so I certainly know what they are going for in general. My point being that this card really is a semi-Wilt Chamberlain RC, so I feel it is a preeminent card. Does it hold that kind of stature in the basketball card world??

Any basketball card collectors want to tell me what price range you would be comfortable with? I have some CC points I can use to knock it down just a bit, but not enough to make it a definite go. This is clearly just a wide open question and you aren't seeing said card, so please avoid the usual tropes like "offer what you can afford" and all of that obvious nonsense. Just looking for people shooting from the hip, telling me what would be a 'good' price in your mind, saying, "I'd definitely jump at it if I could get it for XXX dollars."

Thanks!

Peter_Spaeth 01-25-2019 04:16 PM

I don't think the In Action cards are very coveted except perhaps by set collectors, just my impression. Personally for the same money I'd rather have whatever Wilt I could get in the 1969 set which I think is a very nice looking card.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 01-26-2019 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1848870)
I don't think the In Action cards are very coveted except perhaps by set collectors, just my impression. Personally for the same money I'd rather have whatever Wilt I could get in the 1969 set which I think is a very nice looking card.

+1

The In Action cards are kind of meh. Kind of like buying a League Leaders card instead of the rookie card from the same set.

Arthur

vintage mesiah 01-26-2019 12:40 PM

Without looking at the card itself , I say buy what makes u happy , if that’s what u always wanted to get a Fleer 61 but can’t get his actual rookie card then next best thing to get his IA “ugly brother”.A nice well centered in psa 7 I would pay from $300-$325 ..

jb67 01-26-2019 09:16 PM

Here the recent VCP sales.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/image...61-chamberlain

JollyElm 01-26-2019 11:14 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I was definitely feeling on the same page as Peter and Arthur. A similar comparison could be made regarding the Julius Erving situation of 1972. Whereas the Topps set includes his rookie card, there is also a separate all star card of him. Basically a secondary RC. (He's also on a 'Leaders' card.) It's strange to me that more collectors don't covet that "Dr. J" card as well. It's his rookie year, for cripes sake, but it doesn't share the limelight.

Smalltown 01-27-2019 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1848870)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger (Post 1849022)
+1

The In Action cards are kind of meh. Kind of like buying a League Leaders card instead of the rookie card from the same set.

Arthur

I'm gonna disagree. I'd much rather the IA over the '69 card. Having both the regular RC and the IA is such a nice pairing.

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 01-28-2019 07:22 AM

Jewish-collector 02-01-2019 04:14 PM

The Chamberlain IA card is, obviously, not as desirable as the main card, but it is still nice. Don't automatically say no. If you want an accurate up to date value of it, ask basketball card guru, Michael Rakosi about it.

But, remember one thing above all, "Sometimes you gotta say, "WTF" and go for it.