Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Analysis of 1933 Goudey rarity (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264982)

jason.1969 01-25-2019 05:49 AM

Analysis of 1933 Goudey rarity

I did some work that might be of interest to Goudey collectors. As with much of my digging into this set, the analysis becomes more speculative as it goes on. Still, even if you think the second half is rubbish, I would bet a lot that the first half is very solid.

https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...-goudey-cards/

scottglevy 01-25-2019 06:09 AM

Jason,

Thank you for your solid research on this. As someone who is insane enough to be slowly putting together a signed 33 Goudey set, I never stopped to think about the rarity of the underlying cards themselves. I didn’t even understand the basic of how the set was produced. Thanks again for sharing your hard work with us all.

Great job!
Scott

jason.1969 01-25-2019 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottglevy (Post 1848688)
Jason,

Thank you for your solid research on this. As someone who is insane enough to be slowly putting together a signed 33 Goudey set, I never stopped to think about the rarity of the underlying cards themselves. I didn’t even understand the basic of how the set was produced. Thanks again for sharing your hard work with us all.

Great job!
Scott

Thanks, Scott. Good luck building the set. This has been a super enjoyable set for me to dig into, though my budget keeps me more detective than owner at the moment!

steve B 01-25-2019 08:47 AM

One thing that may put the numbers a bit out is how the set was usually viewed, with a high number group. Those would have been graded more often, and probably earlier before the sheet layouts were readily available.

When I was looking at a couple other sets, Hofers were usually graded about twice as often. I didn't take all that close of a look, so it was really just a general thing. The numbers for the three Ruth cards from the same sheet aren't surprising.

Ricky 01-25-2019 08:48 AM

Fantastic job, Jason. Great information.

jason.1969 01-25-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1848726)
One thing that may put the numbers a bit out is how the set was usually viewed, with a high number group. Those would have been graded more often, and probably earlier before the sheet layouts were readily available.

When I was looking at a couple other sets, Hofers were usually graded about twice as often. I didn't take all that close of a look, so it was really just a general thing. The numbers for the three Ruth cards from the same sheet aren't surprising.

That's a really good point. I was so happy just to finish that I may take a long break before thinking too hard about what impact this might have had.

jason.1969 01-25-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky (Post 1848727)
Fantastic job, Jason. Great information.

Thanks, Ricky. It was a fun article to research and work on.

Promethius88 03-28-2019 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Very interesting read. Thank you for the work! A question... I have recently picked up a few of the 33s and all appear to be good except finding, after my purchase and arrival home, that a #154 Foxx is cut shorter than others. I read another post briefly touching on the fact that 33 Goudeys were known to have size issues. I couldn't see that the cards was at least recently trimmed and I wonder the possibility of it just being cut like that from the factory?? The pic below shows my 2 #29 Foxx cards in the middle and the right and the #154 on the left. You can see that the #154 is smaller top to bottom.
And I don't mean to hijack your thread by any means. Just seems like you have some good insight! Thanks! Tim

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-28-2019 05:13 AM

Looks good from here.

bigfish 03-28-2019 06:12 AM

33 goudey

Thanks for sharing!