Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   eBay authenticity guarantee (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345847)

bswhiten 02-02-2024 10:21 AM

eBay authenticity guarantee

What happens if a seller mislabels an item but you know it is a rare oddball and original. Would the third party pick up on that and say not authentic and send back to seller or most likely no and just let fly as authentic? I want the item and my guess is neither the seller nor the authenticator know what it really is.
No posting pic in case it gets sent back to seller.
Thanks.

raulus 02-02-2024 10:29 AM

A few people here have had this exact problem. Rare item not really well labeled by the seller gets sent to AG program, and gets rejected by the Authenticator and sent back to the seller.

I have experienced some situations were the Authenticator will email me with their concerns and findings and ask if I still want the item. But apparently that doesn’t happen every time. Sometimes they just cancel it and it’s over.

gunboat82 02-02-2024 01:29 PM

For my last three experiences, the authenticator has rejected the item and mailed it to the buyer anyway with a note that it didn't qualify for the Authenticity Guarantee. This has happened with a Colgan's Chip (eBay said it's not a card), strip card (eBay said it should have been listed as a "lot," even though it was a single strip), and a Topps redemption card (eBay said it's not a card).

Apparently eBay sometimes decides in its discretion to just reject the item and complete the transaction anyway, without asking the buyer if he/she still wants it.

bobbyw8469 02-02-2024 01:48 PM

Big brother knows best.

jayshum 02-02-2024 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunboat82 (Post 2409889)
For my last three experiences, the authenticator has rejected the item and mailed it to the buyer anyway with a note that it didn't qualify for the Authenticity Guarantee. This has happened with a Colgan's Chip (eBay said it's not a card), strip card (eBay said it should have been listed as a "lot," even though it was a single strip), and a Topps redemption card (eBay said it's not a card).

Apparently eBay sometimes decides in its discretion to just reject the item and complete the transaction anyway, without asking the buyer if he/she still wants it.

It makes some sense that if they decide something should not have been sent for authentication that it would then just be sent to the buyer. That's different than if something is rejected for some reason even if the reason is they aren't familiar enough with it to authenticate.

Leon 02-06-2024 04:29 PM

They said a Colgan's chip was a card and rejected :eek: You should have asked them why it's in the American Card Catalog, if it's not a card? I guess it's debatable within the hobby but no way should a legit E card series be rejected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2409898)
It makes some sense that if they decide something should not have been sent for authentication that it would then just be sent to the buyer. That's different than if something is rejected for some reason even if the reason is they aren't familiar enough with it to authenticate.

EddieP 02-07-2024 08:25 AM

eBay won’t authenticate Poscards which at face value seems ok. But if you send them a 1926-29 Exhibits Blank back, eBay will send it through eBay authentication. However, if you send them a 1926-29 Exhibits Postcard back it will get rejected.

raulus 02-07-2024 01:14 PM

For whatever reason, they're still figuring out the details with pieces that we all consider to be cards, but don't look like the standard postwar mainline piece.

I just had a piece I purchased on eBay that was sent for authentication, and just got an email that it couldn't be authenticated because it was miscategorized. It's a PSA-graded postwar piece from an oddball set that is a jumbo size, from the 1960 sports pix premiums set. I suspect eBay basically decided that this isn't really a sports card.

They're still sending it to me, but it technically didn't go through authentication.

In this case, I don't really care, because the odds that it's fake are low. But it would be nice if eBay could get their act together and be a little more transparent about what does and doesn't qualify for the AG program, just so it doesn't seem like they're just making stuff up as they go.

bswhiten 02-07-2024 05:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The item belongs in postwar, but I figured I would post here where I asked the question :)

eBay sent to but said it was not eligible for authentication like some of you said. Totally fine for me since I knew what it was. 5 graded copies.