Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cobb Bat Off UZIT on the bay..... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=219265)

Joshchisox08 03-07-2016 07:38 PM

Cobb Bat Off UZIT on the bay.....

Another member and myself have been discussing this card via pm. We both have come to the conclusion that there's a reason it resides in a GAI slab. Thoughts?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1911-T206-Ty-C...779?nav=SEARCH

Joshwesley 03-07-2016 08:04 PM

Unless it's somehow skinned etc.... The grade just doesn't matter... That's a beauty and has to be worth tens of thousands of dollars.. The uzit Cobb abides!

Still.... I'd rather have the satchel Paige SP 48 lead on eBay right now, if I could have my pick!!

philliesfan 03-07-2016 08:06 PM

Awesome card..........if its real and unaltered.
Robert

trdcrdkid 03-07-2016 08:16 PM

It says "Copeland Collection" on the back of the flip. Didn't Mastro sell Copeland most of his cards, and catalogue them for Sotheby's when they auctioned them off in 1991?

Sean 03-07-2016 08:16 PM

The top edge appears trimmed. Still worth $10k, but not what this seller is asking.

The way I see it, the card is really a PSA Authentic in a GAI slab.

Joshchisox08 03-07-2016 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1512862)
The top edge appears trimmed. Still worth $10k, but not what this seller is asking.

The way I see it, the card is really a PSA Authentic in a GAI slab.

Exactly Sean. I personally would still love to own that. Uzit is the coolest back ever! Besides the poor man's (hey that's me!) Polar Bear backs!

pokerplyr80 03-08-2016 12:19 AM

This card is still in a GAI holder for the same reason any high end card is. It's either over graded or altered and couldn't cross. The first thing any of us would do with a card like that is send it into PSA. I'm sure this occurred to the owner as well.

gnaz01 03-08-2016 03:25 AM

Just to remind everyone, the Copeland collection also had the famous (or is it infamous) Gretzky/McNall PSA 8 Wagner in it too........

Cozumeleno 03-08-2016 08:31 AM

By adding the language that it has not been altered or restored in any way, couldn't someone buy it, see what PSA/SGC says, and then get their money back if it was trimmed, even though the return policy is only 14 days? I would assume eBay would make them refund that purchase, correct?

Paul S 03-08-2016 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cozumeleno (Post 1512998)
By adding the language that it has not been altered or restored in any way, couldn't someone buy it, see what PSA/SGC says, and then get their money back if it was trimmed, even though the return policy is only 14 days? I would assume eBay would make them refund that purchase, correct?

Coz - You're up to bat. Let us know how it turns out for you:D;);) - Paul

frankbmd 03-08-2016 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1513006)

Who's on deck?:eek:

Eric72 03-08-2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1513010)

I Don't Know.

Paul S 03-08-2016 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1513010)

Unjtas of Namatth. I can't decide.:confused::rolleyes:

Cozumeleno 03-08-2016 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1513006)

Ha - going to have to take a pass. Somehow selling a house that I'm still paying the mortgage on doesn't seem like a viable solution. :)

vintagetoppsguy 03-08-2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1512862)
The top edge appears trimmed.

If you look at the top border, it slopes slightly upwards if you're looking at it from left to right. The bottom border seems to mirror the top border. It also slopes slightly upwards if you're looking at it from left to right. It looks like a factory cut (although a sloppy one) to me and definitely not uncommon. Here's one that's a lot more pronounced...

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AEEAAO...kq/s-l1600.jpg

iwantitiwinit 03-08-2016 05:56 PM

It's in a GAI slab because PSA and/or SGC wouldn't grade it above authentic. Period. It doesn't make any sense for the reason to be anything else. If you owned it and were looking to sell it given the prices for gai v. psa or gai v. sgc wouldn't you have it re-slabbed if it were possible to get a decent numerical grade from PSA or SGC.

vintagetoppsguy 03-08-2016 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 1513212)
It's in a GAI slab because PSA and/or SGC wouldn't grade it above authentic. Period. It doesn't make any sense for the reason to be anything else. If you owned it and were looking to sell it given the prices for gai v. psa or gai v. sgc wouldn't you have it re-slabbed if it were possible to get a decent numerical grade from PSA or SGC.

Its a Ty Cobb Uzit. Its more rare than the Ty Cobb with Ty Cobb back. It doesnt matter if its in a PRO holder. :rolleyes:

Basically you're saying if it weren't trimmed, it would be in a PSA holder, right? Like the PSA 8 Wagner? :rolleyes:

deadballfreaK 03-08-2016 07:46 PM

Look at his other stuff. Lots of very high end items.

MVSNYC 03-08-2016 07:52 PM

It's called a "diamond cut", very common.

atx840 03-08-2016 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1513259)

+1 great card. Love seeing these impossibly tough combos show up in high grade.

ashes13 03-08-2016 08:35 PM

How does PSA handle diamond cuts on a t206 card that would otherwise be a 7 or an 8? Sharp corners, centered, etc.

ullmandds 03-08-2016 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
what all the fuss is about

Jobu 03-08-2016 08:55 PM

For the sake of discussion, let's assume this crosses to a PSA 6.5 and gets sent to REA. Does it sell for $125,000?

BBB 03-08-2016 09:58 PM

Cobb Bat Off UZIT on the bay.....

Quote:

I had a too-good-to-be-true cy young portrait (looks ex+http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...dcc9734138.jpg)

thought it was a diamond cut. PSA disagreed and gave it an "authentic". Maybe there's scissor marks I'm missing (not an expert at IDing scissor marks unless very obvious). Wondering if anyone w a diamond cut rejected by PSA (without any obvious scissor marks) should try GAI in order to increase value several fold compared to a N or A from PSA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joshchisox08 03-09-2016 04:13 AM

Quote:

This was also discussed, however I'm not overly familiar with diamond cuts and pointed out below PSA gave that Cy Young a trimmed grading.

It just seems illogical that the card wouldn't be crossed over to a PSA slab so those who have their virtual albums and what not could have it in there and well it's more appealing in a PSA or SGC slab.

Not sure about the rest of you but I prefer PSA or SGC slabs. I will not buy any card slabbed in any other grading service. I'm sure most if not everyone will agree that if this were in a PSA holder with that grade then that outlandish price wouldn't be so outlandish well maybe it would be but.......

The point I'm trying to make is that let's say it is a diamond cut then why doesn't the seller/owner cross it over it just makes sense.

Unless I'm mistaken and diamond cuts receive a trimmed designation. Again I'm just finding out about diamond cuts and what the difference is after a couple years of collecting T206s.

BBB 03-11-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 (Post 1513328)
This was also discussed, however I'm not overly familiar with diamond cuts and pointed out below PSA gave that Cy Young a trimmed grading.

It just seems illogical that the card wouldn't be crossed over to a PSA slab so those who have their virtual albums and what not could have it in there and well it's more appealing in a PSA or SGC slab.

Not sure about the rest of you but I prefer PSA or SGC slabs. I will not buy any card slabbed in any other grading service. I'm sure most if not everyone will agree that if this were in a PSA holder with that grade then that outlandish price wouldn't be so outlandish well maybe it would be but.......

The point I'm trying to make is that let's say it is a diamond cut then why doesn't the seller/owner cross it over it just makes sense.

Unless I'm mistaken and diamond cuts receive a trimmed designation. Again I'm just finding out about diamond cuts and what the difference is after a couple years of collecting T206s.

I usually don't disagree with Psa , but in this case The edges don't look different than any other t206 I have (other than the diamond cut). It's also without size requirements. So am wondering if PSA defaults to trimmed when they see high grade diamond cuts.

Yoda 03-11-2016 10:18 AM

I think I recall a little history of the card; it has been around a while and has resided in the Wentz Bros. (BMW) vault for some time until they decided to put it up for sale again. I have seen and handled it, and it is a very special T206. I can't recall if it was in the GAI holder or not, but I somehow doubt somebody submitted it to them raw as the 1st grader of choice even though they were a much more respected TPG back then then they are now.

MVSNYC 03-11-2016 10:31 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Slight Diamond Cut...

pokerplyr80 03-11-2016 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBB (Post 1513305)
I had a too-good-to-be-true cy young portrait (looks ex+http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...dcc9734138.jpg)

thought it was a diamond cut. PSA disagreed and gave it an "authentic". Maybe there's scissor marks I'm missing (not an expert at IDing scissor marks unless very obvious). Wondering if anyone w a diamond cut rejected by PSA (without any obvious scissor marks) should try GAI in order to increase value several fold compared to a N or A from PSA?

Personally I would crack it out and send it into SGC if you believe it hasn't been trimmed. Nothing to lose but the grading and shipping fees, and a lot of upside potential if you're right.

Joshchisox08 03-11-2016 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1514189)
Slight Diamond Cut...

Can I have that card? :D