Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yellow/gold vs White stock on R315's (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=134871)

ls7plus 03-26-2011 10:43 PM

Yellow/gold vs White stock on R315's

The R 315's can be found most often on lighter white stock, versus heavier gold or yellow stock.

What percentage of the time do you suppose the heavier yellow or gold stock was used to print the R 315's, as opposed to the regular, lighter white stock?

Seems like I see the regualar white stock at least five times as often as the yellow, or gold. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Larry

wrapperguy 03-27-2011 04:54 PM

R315

My father and I have been collecting this set for years. We originally just went for one example of each player, whether it had writing or not at the bottom. Then, for some unexplained reason, we decided to go for a "no writing" set and a "with writing" set and started going after the yellow prints also. Still missing about 7 of each category. You are correct that the yellow is considerably tougher though I cannot give you a ratio. When looking at the Old Cardboard checklist, I can say with certainty that a Ruth yellow does exist. I saw it at the Cleveland National in 2009 (and passed on it - oops!). Good luck with the set. I have about 40 dupes if you are interested.
Jeff

Leon 03-27-2011 05:03 PM

R315 not another.....

2 Attachment(s)
I guess I haven't been paying attention to the colors of the R315's.... I thought I was good with having one from each of the writing categories and one of each of the strip categories....guess not.....I don't remember seeing a yellow, but like I say, might have just skipped over it. Too much to keep up with :)....

nolemmings 03-27-2011 06:54 PM

The yellows turn up periodically on ebay. I collect this set VERY casually, so I'm no expert, but I would weigh in as saying the whites outnumber the yellows anywhere from 30-1 to 40-1. The yellows command a premium, but nowhere near the degree of difficulty, more like 2x-3x, sometimes less.

leftygrove10 03-27-2011 07:00 PM

I believe that each card only comes in two different variations. There are a total of four variations. So not every card is available in yellow.

ls7plus 03-28-2011 12:25 AM

Muchos Gracias, Guys. Appreaciate your feedback. I have the Foxx in both, and was considering collecting the stars/hall-of-famers in both yellow/gold and white. Sounds like a long term project, but I like those!

Jeff, I appreciate your offer, but am all tapped out at the moment after buying the 1907 Dietsche Fielding Cobb from Tony Arnold. Perhaps I'll get back with you when cash flow in my law practice improves (tough doing plaintiff's work and criminal defense work in Michigan right now--not much $$ in supply!).

Larry

glchen 04-07-2011 04:03 PM

Weird that this thread comes out, and 1-2 weeks later, the Ruth yellow stock appears on ebay (and I believe sold by a board member): Link

Anyway, I picked up since I had no idea the yellow stock was a scarce variation. Originally, I just thought the card looked dirty or stained and was going to pass on it.

ls7plus 04-07-2011 04:33 PM

2009 National

Interesting, Gary. I too saw the yellow/gold Ruth at the 2009 National, and passed on it, but only because I finally got the dealer who had won the yellow/gold Foxx (PSA ExMt 6) in an earlier Goodwin auction to sell it to me for a lot closer to my price than his, after more than a year of trying!

I like the rarer stuff--might have some significant added value as time goes by.

Thanks to the board for keeping me up to date.

Larry