Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 Threads (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=145271)

bcbgcbrcb 12-24-2011 05:32 AM

T206 Threads

As I post this, 8 out of the 10 most recent threads on the main board here are specifically T206 related. To me, this is quite much, in my opinion, these along with '33 Goudeys are the easiest cards to find and very plentiful. I don't really understand the phenomenal level of interest in them.

T206Collector 12-24-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb (Post 949682)
As I post this, 8 out of the 10 most recent threads on the main board here are specifically T206 related. To me, this is quite much, in my opinion, these along with '33 Goudeys are the easiest cards to find and very plentiful. I don't really understand the phenomenal level of interest in them.

There are a lot of responses to this, but my opinion is that the easy to find phenomenon also feeds the level of interest and the ability to write new stuff about them every day. Being part of a T206 community gives you a LOT of material to write about, because the set is so monstrous, and is collected in so many different ways.

If there was a discussion forum dedicated to rare cards, you'd hardly ever see a post because so few people would have anything to say.

tonyo 12-24-2011 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 949685)
There are a lot of responses to this, but my opinion is that the easy to find phenomenon also feeds the level of interest and the ability to write new stuff about them every day. Being part of a T206 community gives you a LOT of material to write about, because the set is so monstrous, and is collected in so many different ways.

If there was a discussion forum dedicated to rare cards, you'd hardly ever see a post because so few people would have anything to say.

This is pretty much my viewpoint. When I discovered prewar two years ago, It was so easy to find info about t206 so for me it was natural to gravitate to the set. I think that is one of the great things about t206.....so much to read and learn. It is a self feeding fire.

I like that the cards are plentiful.....I like to shop. Plus it is (relatively) easy to sell duplicates.

David W 12-24-2011 06:59 AM

Since the T 206's are probably at least 60% of all available pre war cards, and affordable to virtually anyone, of course there will always be an over abundance of posts about the set.

It is possibly the most popular baseball card set ever.

Ease 12-24-2011 07:04 AM

I say the more the merrier, I don't collect t206, but enjoy reading about em.

joshvox 12-24-2011 07:29 AM

As a fairly new collector of T206 cards, I enjoy reading these many threads, and learning all I can. The fact that I now own several 100+ year old pieces of cardboard just brings a smile to my face. I didn't decide to collect them because of their rarity or value, but because they are just simply great looking cards which provide a link for me to the history of a game that I love.

Runscott 12-24-2011 08:20 AM

When is 'JustSoCyYoungResource.com' coming out?

ullmandds 12-24-2011 09:50 AM

That'd be a pretty desolate place!

barrysloate 12-24-2011 10:09 AM

I'm with Phil on this one. There is no reason at all to prevent anyone from discussing T206, or asking any question they want about the set. That's what the board is for. But we don't need to start a new thread every time someone has a passing thought. Maybe if there were some way to consolidate the threads the main page would look a little cleaner. I think we've reached the tipping point where it is starting to bother the people who don't collect them. Maybe it would be a good time for someone to come up with a good alternative. I've said to Leon it might not be a bad idea to have a link at the top of the page called "net54 T206 headquarters", or something to that effect. I know many would prefer to leave things as is, but it's at least worth a discussion.

Runscott 12-24-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 949754)
I'm with Phil on this one. There is no reason at all to prevent anyone from discussing T206, or asking any question they want about the set. That's what the board is for. But we don't need to start a new thread every time someone has a passing thought. Maybe if there were some way to consolidate the threads the main page would look a little cleaner. I think we've reached the tipping point where it is starting to bother the people who don't collect them. Maybe it would be a good time for someone to come up with a good alternative. I've said to Leon it might not be a bad idea to have a link at the top of the page called "net54 T206 headquarters", or something to that effect. I know many would prefer to leave things as is, but it's at least worth a discussion.

Welcome to the club. I'm in your boat over on the memorabilia side, where all the threads about autographs, and "look what I spent a zillion bucks on" have watered down the photo discussions so much that I gave up and no longer start photo threads over there.

The number of T206 threads is probably proportionate to the number of T206 collectors on this board - that makes complete sense to me, and seems both fair and reasonable.

Leon 12-24-2011 10:27 AM

my thoughts

I am always open to discussing changes concerning the board. As is always, I prefer no changes unless they are demonstrably for the better.

bbcard1 12-24-2011 10:38 AM

You know what I do when I see threads I'm not interested in? I don't click on them. Right now, I am real interested in T206s, but not at all in backs.

Leon 12-24-2011 10:42 AM

should mention

I am not a T206 (focused) collector but those frequent threads certainly don't bother me. As a few have said, their number corresponds to the amount of interest from our members. I think that is how forums are supposed to work? And it's not like there are so many new threads that you can't wade through them easily. Still it's not a bad discussion and I certainly understand the point made by the original poster. All in fun.... best regards

Runscott 12-24-2011 10:53 AM

I would like to personally thank Phil for starting this great T206 thread. My kids are both out of town, my girlfriend's packing for a move on Monday, and I'm bored out of my mind.

I might get out a squeaky toy.

Merry Christmas all.

barrysloate 12-24-2011 10:57 AM

Maybe then it's up to the poster to use his discretion. If there is a thread about Drum backs and you have a question about Uzits, just piggyback on that thread. No need to start a new one. I agree with Scott that the number of threads are equal to the interest in the set, but one can still find a thread already in progress to post on.

T206Collector 12-24-2011 11:04 AM

If anyone cares, I have never collected T206 backs, and have grown quite bored of reading all the back threads. I would prefer more signed T206 threads! :D

Keep in mind, T206s are a gateway card. I dabble in all sorts of enjoyable cards I read about here, after I've come here for my '06 fix.

"06 Fix" trademark 2011 T206Collector. Patent Pending. All Rights Reserved.

teetwoohsix 12-24-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runscott (Post 949763)
i would like to personally thank phil for starting this great t206 thread. My kids are both out of town, my girlfriend's packing for a move on monday, and i'm bored out of my mind.

I might get out a squeaky toy.

Merry christmas all.

lol

jp1216 12-24-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T206Collector (Post 949766)
Keep in mind, T206s are a gateway card.

No they aren't - I can quit anytime..... ;)

3-2-count 12-24-2011 01:11 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! I currently like things exactly how they are in regards to T206 threads.

wonkaticket 12-24-2011 01:25 PM

I'm going to start a thread call show your S-L-O-A-T-E T206s, show any cards that you have that start with the letters in Barry's name. :)

John

teetwoohsix 12-24-2011 01:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 949799)
I'm going to start a thread call show your S-L-O-A-T-E T206s, show any cards that have start with the letters in Barry's name. :)

John

B

rainier2004 12-24-2011 02:49 PM

I dont collect t206s but like the forum set-up as is. Honestly, I really dont understand why we dont talk more about CRacker Jacks...Im sooo jealous you guys are always "t206" this, and "rare back" that and "factory number" blah, blah, blah....so little love for the Cjs. More power to all of you and keep the forum the way it is. Crack if you gottem.

familytoad 12-24-2011 02:49 PM

Party Foul--the last scans (B) should all be in separate threads.

And while we are piling on...I only collect the HOFers from the T206 set, either raw or SGC...so what I really hate is T206 PSA commons;) Please don't start any threads about those!

<just kidding, I don't mind reading about t206 cards...and for that matter, the more scans the merrier...keep coming with a virtual set if you'd like...those threads are cool no matter what set is being featured>

HRBAKER 12-24-2011 03:00 PM

I think the Net206 Forum is fine like it is. ;)
As a non-interested bystander I just don't open most T206 related threads.
Purely as a matter of housekeeping I do see some merit to Barry's idea.

barrysloate 12-24-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 949799)
I'm going to start a thread call show your S-L-O-A-T-E T206s, show any cards that have start with the letters in Barry's name. :)

John

It wouldn't be any less intelligent than some of the ones we already have.:p

Hi John, happy holiday!