Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Collecting Packs and Boxes (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=268848)

bigdog2003 05-10-2019 12:48 PM

Collecting Packs and Boxes

I have been thinking about getting into collecting packs and boxes that I remember opening as a kid. I was born in 1985, and bought stuff through the 90's, and I thought it would be neat to own some unopened stuff from that time. The only issue is, I don't know where to start.

I need some help on where to buy, how to store/display it, tips anybody might have. I'm talking about stuff that is super overproduced like 90 donruss, 91 topps, fleer and score from the late 80's and early 90's. Shipping adds up quick from what I have seen looking around, so I'm trying to find the best option to pick this stuff up.

lowpopper 05-10-2019 02:55 PM

You can get a lot of that stuff pretty cheap by the case.

Store it in a dry place that stays at room temp.

Even the mass produced junk wax boxes will have value eventually. People just keep ripping them open. Regardless of how much was produced, it is still a finite amount.

Bigdaddy 05-11-2019 10:58 AM

If you live anywhere near a local card show, that can be the best place to pick up some unopened junk wax. No shipping charges and dealers are usually pretty glad to not have to haul boxes back home at the end of the day - so they are usually willing to deal if you offer to take several boxes.

I've seen lots of tables with $5 boxes of unopened junk wax.

bigfanNY 05-13-2019 08:19 PM

Box Display

1 Attachment(s)
I have a few of these wire display racks that I use to display Donruss Boxes. They used to be more available but seem to have dried up a bit. last couple I got were at a local show maybe 7 or 8 years ago. When I put out 5 or 6 out they look pretty cool. I will try and put some more shots up.
I also had a topps wax display that I put out in front of 1976 uncut sheet that I liked but the last few years have seen so much stuff come in displays have become difficult.

bigdog2003 05-14-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigdaddy (Post 1876778)
If you live anywhere near a local card show, that can be the best place to pick up some unopened junk wax. No shipping charges and dealers are usually pretty glad to not have to haul boxes back home at the end of the day - so they are usually willing to deal if you offer to take several boxes.

I've seen lots of tables with $5 boxes of unopened junk wax.

The only show around here is a card and comic combined show. I went once, and it was mostly comics with some very overpriced cards. I may try to go to it again when they have it.

1989FFCollector 06-03-2019 03:42 PM

I would also make a few ads in your local CL, Offerup, Letgo, facebook groups etc. Have had some luck going that route.

Side note- Wow! My 1st post.....never knew. Been lurking for years on here and other boards. Been collecting on/off since the late 80's. Used to be a big FF collector among many other niches.

bnorth 06-03-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1989FFCollector (Post 1884519)
I would also make a few ads in your local CL, Offerup, Letgo, facebook groups etc. Have had some luck going that route.

Side note- Wow! My 1st post.....never knew. Been lurking for years on here and other boards. Been collecting on/off since the late 80's. Used to be a big FF collector among many other niches.

Hi Donovan, welcome to the forum, that's a long time before a first post.:)

Griffins 06-03-2019 05:28 PM

There are a few facebook groups that just specialize in people collecting wax, boxes, racks etc, the stuff from the '80's is starting to finally pick up in value.
You might try joining a few of those groups.

1989FFCollector 06-04-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1877478)
I have a few of these wire display racks that I use to display Donruss Boxes. They used to be more available but seem to have dried up a bit. last couple I got were at a local show maybe 7 or 8 years ago. When I put out 5 or 6 out they look pretty cool. I will try and put some more shots up.
I also had a topps wax display that I put out in front of 1976 uncut sheet that I liked but the last few years have seen so much stuff come in displays have become difficult.

Big fan of store displays and advertising. Never seen those before. I like them. Do the Donruss ones happen to have a sign at the top? Have a pic of the Topps one?

1989FFCollector 06-04-2019 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1884557)
Hi Donovan, welcome to the forum, that's a long time before a first post.:)

They say if you don't have anything nice to say....

I kid. Hey Ben! See you around.

tulsaboy 06-06-2019 01:45 PM

Welcome to the fun world of unopened box and pack collecting!!! Several suggestions...
If you are looking for super cheap but fun appearance, hop on ebay and search for "Donruss counter display." Donruss made these super cool display units that had (in some cases) about 200 packs in them. They are designed to display at an angle, so you get lots of color and good graphics. They made them from about 1985-1990 or so, and the 1988-1990 ones are super cheap. The shipping is usually more than the cost of the display, at least for 1988 and 1990. Looking at those will at least give you a good idea of what is out there.

Like other posters have suggested, troll around to your local card shops and constantly check craigslist and other such online local postings. I have bought a decent bit of wax from folks' closets that they just want to get rid of.

There are a couple of really good facebook groups out there that are specifically for vintage wax and packs. Search around and you will find them. Go back and start reading through the last several months of posts there. You will start to get a feel for the community, for what is available, and what the costs are. Then jump right in. So far I have yet to be taken advantage of, either as a buyer or as a seller.

I would also suggest that you decide on a focus initially, just to help control yourself. For instance: A run of Donruss wax boxes from 1981-1990. Or a box of every Topps baseball product in 1988- wax, cello, rack, etc. This will help you have a plan for what to look for, and will help regulate your spending. I personally am working on getting a pack, box, and case from 1986 Topps in each format that it was sold at retail- so that means wax, cello, jumbo cello, rack, and grocery rack. It has helped me have a narrow focus for my hunt, and that has made it fun.

Do a lot of research. Most of the regular, junk era wax (from about 1987-1996 or so) is easily available at 5-10 bucks a box. Don't get hosed, don't overpay, and pay very close attention to shipping. On ebay, a 1987 Topps wax box will cost you 10 bucks, and then 12-14 for shipping. At a local show, one of the dealers will likely sell you one for 5-8 bucks.

kevin

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 06-15-2019 11:27 AM

I've been buying junk wax for years. Some I open but most of it I keep. I've found quite a bit at local antique stores. They're priced a little higher than eBay but without the shipping they end up being a deal.

If you're going to buy good "junk wax" your best bet is BBCE. With '87 Topps Bonds now hitting $50 I wouldn't buy anything pre-1988 off eBay. It's just not worth the hassle.

If you want to get hardcore there are some very difficult to find issues that are getting even harder to locate these days.

Arthur