Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Slabs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=230023)

Manny Trillo 10-17-2016 03:55 PM

Slabs

is there anybody on here who once they buy a card that's been slabbed take the card out and put it in a more attractive holder. I did this years ago with my Brett rookie. I like the one inch screw down lucite holders. I realize you taking the value off when you do that but I'm intent on keeping my cards long-term and someday when I go to sell them I can get them reslabbed. I'd rather enjoy them in a holder that I like.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

D.P.Johnson 10-17-2016 04:26 PM

I seem to recall someone mentioning those screw-down holders can somehow damage cards. That being said, I either buy "raw" cards and keep them "raw" or, if I buy them slabbbed, I keep them in the slab. I like to keep my "raw" cards in those binder sleeves so I can look at them easily...

Neal 10-17-2016 04:32 PM

Not a fan of the screw down holders.
I still have a ton of cards in 9 pocket sheets from some binders as a kid. They will stay where they are.
I have yet to crack a PSA or SGC slab, and never would crack one that holds a Brett RC! :)

irv 10-17-2016 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson (Post 1594468)
I seem to recall someone mentioning those screw-down holders can somehow damage cards. That being said, I either buy "raw" cards and keep them "raw" or, if I buy them slabbbed, I keep them in the slab. I like to keep my "raw" cards in those binder sleeves so I can look at them easily...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neal (Post 1594469)
Not a fan of the screw down holders.
I still have a ton of cards in 9 pocket sheets from some binders as a kid. They will stay where they are.
I have yet to crack a PSA or SGC slab, and never would crack one that holds a Brett RC! :)

I could be wrong but I believe the OP is talking about the 1 screw, not 4 screw holders?
The one screw, from what I know about them, have a recessed area for the card to sit, which of course keeps all the weight off of the card.

If it's the other 4 screw type which squishes the card, then gently does it when screwing them down!

I had my Mantle and Mays in the large 4 screw cubes for over 20yrs and panicked when I read on here what they can do!:eek:

Luckily I never screwed them down tight and thankfully I placed them on their side instead of laying them flat as I ha zero issues with them when I removed them from their cubes. :)

DBesse27 10-17-2016 05:01 PM

When the OP refers to "one inch lucite" holders, I assume he means the 4 screw bricks. The one screws aren't a full inch thick and I don't believe they're made of lucite. If you do mean the 4 screw bricks, STAY AWAY!! Not only can they press the corners and edges, I've seen cases where the card sticks to the lucite and removing it leaves some of the ink behind.

irv 10-17-2016 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1594480)
When the OP refers to "one inch lucite" holders, I assume he means the 4 screw bricks. The one screws aren't a full inch thick and I don't believe they're made of lucite. If you do mean the 4 screw bricks, STAY AWAY!! Not only can they press the corners and edges, I've seen cases where the card sticks to the lucite and removing it leaves some of the ink behind.

You're right, Dan. The 1 screw holders are thin compared to the cubes. Hopefully he hasn't screwed them down tight nor laid them flat on their backs for an extended period of time as I believe just the weight of them is enough to cause the sticking.

Mine are now, and have been for a while, in regular card holders with a modified/cut plastic sleeve. (New Vintage holders and sleeves are on order)
Like I mentioned, I panicked when I found out here what they can do!

KCRfan1 10-17-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBesse27 (Post 1594480)

I have seen cards warp too......from personal experience. ugh.

swarmee 10-17-2016 05:51 PM

The problem with them sticking is when moisture gets in and there's no place for it to get out. Plus many boxes of baseball cards have been stored in basements, attics, and garages where they are not weather or temperature-controlled.

Manny Trillo 10-17-2016 08:48 PM

They are the one inch holders with the 4 screws as shown in the picture in this thread. Thanks for the warnings. Always put the card in a sleeve first before putting it in the holder. I just removed a Ricky Don Drysdale from one of these holders that I've had it in since 1986, and everything seems fine with the card. What does it mean to "press the corners and edges"?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

KCRfan1 10-17-2016 10:46 PM

The corners of the card can be compressed when the screws are tightened. The sides will be unaffected though.

swarmee 10-18-2016 04:09 AM

The first ones of those "brick" holders didn't have a cutout for the card width in them, so tightening them in the brick would actually flatten the card and widen it. PSA will not grade those cards, labeling them "Altered Stock" since the card is no longer it's original shape/size. Some people used them to make the card larger so they could be trimmed sharply back down to original size.