Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/t - Safes (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=249519)

Snapolit1 01-01-2018 08:51 AM

I put minimal thought into it and bought a Sentry safe from Amazon. Brand has a solid reputation. Heavy as hell and some dude carried it into my house. Works fine.
Flood and fire rating? If my house burns to the ground my collection will be the least of my worries. And is insured. Flood a little more important as I did have a terrible flood on the other side of my home.

Peter_Spaeth 01-01-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1734512)
I put minimal thought into it and bought a Sentry safe from Amazon. Brand has a solid reputation. Heavy as hell and some dude carried it into my house. Works fine.
Flood and fire rating? If my house burns to the ground my collection will be the least of my worries. And is insured. Flood a little more important as I did have a terrible flood on the other side of my home.

If some dude carried it into your house, that implies some dude could carry it out of your house, no?

frankbmd 01-01-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1734537)
If some dude carried it into your house, that implies some dude could carry it out of your house, no?

Some dude stronger than you Peter.;)

RedsFan1941 01-01-2018 10:21 AM

Quote:

he put minimal thought into it.

Snapolit1 01-01-2018 10:23 AM

Quote:

Ha. Well it was in the box. When I took it out to the box my son and I had a hell of a time carrying to together. I guess they make the plastic shell very hard to carry. Very slippery. And I did bolt to the floor.

Joe_G. 01-01-2018 10:42 AM

I opted for Liberty Lincoln Safe years ago, built into closet which would require walls to be torn down to remove it. The safe will stay with the house :) Not a guarantee against theft but another layer of protection. I also have the safelert service which allows me to check on temperature, humidity, door open/close status etc. It has a very sensitive "shake" feature that when triggered texts me. If I lay a hand on the safe I receive a text within ~30 seconds. If wifi mysteriously goes down I receive a similar notice. I can also set custom triggers on temperature and humidity which is helpful if you are, for example, in a high humidity environment. This feature can remind you to turn on the dehumidifier (safe has its own dry rod dehumidifier, one of several accessories you can consider). Tornado and fire are more likely than theft in Iowa; the Liberty safe provides some protection from all (heavy, quite a few layers of fire board, ball bearing steel hardplate, 14 bolt, etc.).

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-linc...html?tab=specs

http://www.libertysafe.com/accessory...-17-pg-85.html

hcv123 01-01-2018 10:43 AM

Excellent advice

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiggerZagger (Post 1734465)
Having explored this topic as a complete novice in the past year and coming out of it much wiser, I'd throw in a few key tidbits:

--If you want more than to keep out nosy neighborhood kids, then do NOT buy anything rated as a RSC (Residential Security Container) which is anything from Costco/Walmart/etc. or labeled as a 'Gun Safe'. You need a "Vault".

--Any determined individual with a prybar will have nearly any Safe open within 60 seconds. (Check out YouTube for examples if you don't want to sleep well at night...)

--Layering of security measures is key, with a conventional Alarm/Motion/Camera system as well as concealment both effective layers of security in addition to the Safe itself.

--Best rule of thumb is to invest in Steel -- Use your $$$ to buy as thick of steel gauge for the body and door of the safe as possible. This is all that truly provides resilience to an attack. This also necessarily increases the weight of the safe. A decent Vault is going to be 1000 lbs plus. Anything less will fall under an RSC definition, typically.

--I would strongly recommend enlisting a local safe/security company who specializes in this area of work.

--Be sure to bolt the Safe to your foundation/floor once mounted. All Safes of even modest size have pre-drilled holes in the bottom, and not bolting it down will allow the Safe to be tipped and attacked from the side, where the Body is typically much thinner gauge steel than the Door.

--If the collection is too valuable to be held safely at home with peace of mind, use a Safety Deposit Box at the Bank.

I echo the above sentiments completely. Did a lot of homework too. Put all the good stuff in safe deposit box. Have house alarm and cameras.

pawpawdiv9 01-01-2018 11:08 AM

i got 2 safes. One is the Sentry Safe (in case I take some cards somewhere) and the other is a bigger electronic one.
I work in the construction field and know a bit about fire-ratings. Best is concrete-blocks(2-4hr if solid). Then the thick 1" inch stuff (core-board) used in elevator shafts. Then its your basic 5/8 sheetrock (1hr). Also, theres a mineral wool insulation that's reisitant (we call rock-wool)
Back to the safes. Buy the best rating...it just means it will stay below 350 degrees for that certain amount of time.
But keep in mind, paper discolors at 350 degrees (as I read somewhere)
So, keep in mind, not just the safe you select, think where your putting it as well.
Best bet- is the bank.

silvor 01-01-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainier2004 (Post 1734422)
I am looking at this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On...MB-E/202996367

Any help/assistance is always appreciated.

Don't get this safe. That lock is pure junk and the cheapest piece of crap I've ever seen. It's just thin plastic. Lots of reviews on the gun forums about the lock failing and a locksmith had to come out to get the guns out.

For guns, a lower level safe may be fine as even in a fire the gun will still be operable after fire and water. And gun parts are easily replaced But for documents, like cards, you need a better safe. Liberty makes safes that are intended for documents. There are other companies too.

Frank A 01-01-2018 11:50 AM

I bought my safe at Tractor Supply. They have sales on them a few times a year. Buy a Gun safe, it's bigger and you never know what you might want to put in it. Good safes also.