Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Is it possible ... Old Mill SL Brown (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248435)

greco827 12-05-2017 09:03 AM

Is it possible ... Old Mill SL Brown

Many people have posted about an Old Mill Brown which is just faded black, and some are definitely harder to tell than others, especially without having a legitimate brown to compare to. Anyway, this got me thinking ...

Is it possible, or has anyone come across, any older PSA graded Old Mill SL cards which are brown? I ask because initially, they were all marked as T206. Then they added Old Mill to the label, but made no distinction between the Old Mill BBS and Old Mill (SL), and only later added the (SL) distinction to the label for southern leaguers. Seems like it would be possible that there may be a few gems out there which aren't mislabeled per se, but simply "under-labeled". Has anyone ever come across any of these or know of any stories where this has occurred? I suppose Lenox would also be possible, just so much less likely.

brob28 12-05-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco827 (Post 1726656)
Many people have posted about an Old Mill Brown which is just faded black, and some are definitely harder to tell than others, especially without having a legitimate brown to compare to. Anyway, this got me thinking ...

Is it possible, or has anyone come across, any older PSA graded Old Mill SL cards are brown? I ask because initially, they were all marked as T206. Then they added Old Mill to the label, but made no distinction between the Old Mill BBS and Old Mill (SL), and only later added the (SL) distinction to the label for southern leaguers. Seems like it would be possible that there may be a few gems out there which aren't mislabeled per se, but simply "under-labeled". Has anyone ever come across any of these or know of any stories where this has occurred? I suppose Lenox would also be possible, just so much less likely.

My memory is not what it once was but I think a board member came across one on ebay under the exact circumstances you mention a few years ago. "Brown Old Mill" search came up with 500 threads - too many for me to search through.

Sean 12-05-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brob28 (Post 1726660)
My memory is not what it once was but I think a board member came across one on ebay under the exact circumstances you mention a few years ago. "Brown Old Mill" search came up with 500 threads - too many for me to search through.

Yes, Jerry bought a Brown Old Mill on ebay for $50. It was mislabeled as a plain Old Mill. That card currently resides in Ryan H's collection. :)

Sean 12-05-2017 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greco827 (Post 1726656)

Is it possible, or has anyone come across, any older PSA graded Old Mill SL cards which are brown? I ask because initially, they were all marked as T206. Then they added Old Mill to the label, but made no distinction between the Old Mill BBS and Old Mill (SL), and only later added the (SL) distinction to the label for southern leaguers. Seems like it would be possible that there may be a few gems out there which aren't mislabeled per se, but simply "under-labeled". Has anyone ever come across any of these or know of any stories where this has occurred? I suppose Lenox would also be possible, just so much less likely.

I have a Lenox Brown that is simply labelled as Lenox. I got it graded in 2009, before PSA designated them as brown. But I bought it in a 2004 auction, where it was listed as brown, so I didn't get it at a ridiculously low price.

Attachment 297524

Attachment 297525

swarmee 12-05-2017 04:14 PM

But yes, those types of cards are out there hiding in slabs. And to think, PSA still doesn't break out the brand on T205 cards!

Rhotchkiss 12-05-2017 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1726709)
Yes, Jerry bought a Brown Old Mill on ebay for $50. It was mislabeled as a plain Old Mill. That card currently resides in Ryan H's collection. :)

Totally! So the story goes, PSA mislabeled a brown old mill (Sid Smith), as just an old mill. It was then posted on eBay, where someone bought it for $50 and had Re-slabbed in an SGC A slab. Johnny V traded for it at the Atlantic city national two years ago (I think), and I was lucky to get it from Johnny about a year ago. So, this is a major, and personal, PSA mis-label.

However, I doubt there are many more- the cards are so rare and valuable that I would imagine if in doubt, southern old mill owners have had theirs re-looked at. But you never know.....

danmckee 12-06-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1726798)
Totally! So the story goes, PSA mislabeled a brown old mill (Sid Smith), as just an old mill. It was then posted on eBay, where someone bought it for $50 and had Re-slabbed in an SGC A slab. Johnny V traded for it at the Atlantic city national two years ago (I think), and I was lucky to get it from Johnny about a year ago. So, this is a major, and personal, PSA mis-label.

However, I doubt there are many more- the cards are so rare and valuable that I would imagine if in doubt, southern old mill owners have had theirs re-looked at. But you never know.....

Yes PWCC sold it, had no clue it was a rare brown and Jerry scored it out.

Incredible steal!