Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The best use of GASKETS revealed (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224490)

frankbmd 06-25-2016 11:19 AM

The best use of GASKETS revealed

1 Attachment(s)
This thread is not about cards sliding around in SGC holders because the gaskets are too thin.:eek:

This thread is not about the grading accuracy of the various TPGs.:confused:

This thread is not about resale value of the same card in various holders.:mad:

This thread is not about why you crack slabs or why you don't.

This thread is not about telling you that SGC T206 gaskets are identical, I think, to old GAI T206 gaskets, but they are.:cool:

So why in hell are you reading this?

Do you scan cards on a flat bed scanner? :) or :(

Do you leave the top up when you scan to get a black contrasting background? :) or :(

Are you compulsive about the appearance of your scans? :) or :(

Do you abhor scans where cards are tilted? :) or :(

Do you hate scans where cropping has created an apparent razor sharp edge? :) or :(

Do you hate wasting time straightening scans to satisfy your OCD? :) or :(

If you answered yes to the previous six questions, then you are reading the right thread.

Try placing a row of gaskets along the edge of your scanning bed. Place the raw cards against the edge of the gaskets. You may also align the cards with the opening in the gaskets, if you crop individual cards directly from the scanning bed. If scanning many cards of the same tyoe, the cards will be cropped appropriately without having to duplicate this step. Scan several cards at the same time with the top up. Note that you do not have to remove the gaskets before scanning as they are black.

Now aren't all you crackers sorry that when you cracked your slabs, you sent your gaskets to the dumpster?

You can't find useful information on this forum every day, but sometimes you just get lucky.:D

Confused? Here are some "Gaskets in Action" as described preceded by an example of an expedited scan using this technique. Can you tell which side of the card is a gasket border?

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...86/156-westrum

hangman62 06-25-2016 12:57 PM

the best

1 Attachment(s)
Cant go wrong with this either..its 2 in 1 really

sbfinley 06-25-2016 02:48 PM

I've used a Ultra Pro t-card insert for years to brace cards I scan. Before that it was a PSA Tim Lincecum RC. That card didn't leave the scanner bed for three to four years.

Edit to add: If you also collect modern issues, you can rest an edge of the card/slab on the gasket and scan it at an angle to make refractors pop.

x2drich2000 06-25-2016 03:20 PM

I like this idea for raw cards. I kind of do the same basic idea when scanning graded cards. I have a few preset areas outlined and saved in my scanner software for each type of graded cards (sgc regular, psa regular, psa supersze, sgc supersided, etc). I then stole my kids legos to make a spacer to ensure the card lines up in the right spot every time. So each time, I put the legos on the scanner, line the card up, lift the legos out, scan, put the legos back in, flip the card over, line it back up, lift the legos out and scan again. No additional cropping needed and cards are always straight. The only thing I need to do, would be rename the file so I can easily identify what it is from the file name.

DJ

Jobu 06-25-2016 03:20 PM

Me gusta Frank, I am going to give this a go.

Another tip that I devised for raw cards on scanners where the surface is recessed a little: I had the hardware store cut me a piece of glass that I put on the scanner bed for raw cards. This allows me to pick up the glass and gently slide the card off the edge when I am done so that I don't have to find a way to pick the card up off of the scanner.

Peter_Spaeth 06-25-2016 03:24 PM

A tisket, a tasket
A black SGC gasket

frankbmd 06-25-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1554802)
A tisket, a tasket
A black SGC gasket

Finally a constructive comment.

Paul S 06-25-2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1554836)
Finally a constructive comment.

I wouldn't blow a gasket over it.

edjs 06-25-2016 08:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought for sure you would be talking about these gaskets....:D

CMIZ5290 06-25-2016 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 1554912)
I thought for sure you would be talking about these gaskets....:D

SGC holders are an absolute joke, period....