Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SGC is now authenticating autographs (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=162420)

probstein123 01-28-2013 06:28 PM

SGC is now authenticating autographs

SGC is now authenticating autographs

here is a sample:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Topps-5...item5652409ed3

kmac32 01-28-2013 06:34 PM

Wonder what they charge. I have a really nice Ernie Banks 1965 topps autograph obtained in person at Cubs camp in 2007

probstein123 01-28-2013 06:37 PM

Wonder what they charge.

I'm sure they will cheaper than both JSA and PSA for starters while they build a name in authenticating autos....

here is the phone numbers for them
800-SGC-9212 or 973-984-0018

good luck, and for HOF ers like banks, they will put HOF on the slab

thats pretty cool

yanks12025 01-28-2013 06:40 PM

I thought they already did autos?

Wymers Auction 01-28-2013 06:41 PM

It is about time they grabbed up some of that money they have been leaving on the table. I hope they do as good a job on autos as they do on cards.

probstein123 01-28-2013 06:42 PM

I thought they already did autos?

before JSA would approve the auto and they would slab for them...

NOW , they are doing the authenticating....

probstein123 01-28-2013 06:43 PM

I hope they do as good a job on autos as they do on cards.

==> good point, and I agree....did you see how they wrote Deceased on the Weaver flip, thats pretty cool....

canjond 01-28-2013 06:51 PM

Doesn't JSA own SGC now? I would assume they were the ones doing the authentication, no?

probstein123 01-28-2013 06:55 PM

Doesn't JSA own SGC now?

no, that business partnership ended....SGC is not owned by JSA...at one point, JSA invested capital and was helping manage SGC , but SGC is currently independently owned and operated....

kmac32 01-28-2013 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one for you Rick

probstein123 01-28-2013 07:03 PM

Here's one for you Rick

ken, that's a beauty

where did u get it signed ?

HOFAUTOS 01-28-2013 07:07 PM

How much are they charging? I can't find anything on their website.

Also, anyone know who's doing the authenticating over there?

kmac32 01-28-2013 07:13 PM

Cubs fantasy camp held every year in Mesa Arizona. It was the 25h anniversary camp and Mr Cub made an appearance. We were having cocktails in a hotel room of the camp photographer when Ernie walked in. Was awesome.

probstein123 01-28-2013 07:22 PM

How much are they charging? I can't find anything on their website. Also, anyone kno

How much are they charging? I can't find anything on their website.

Also, anyone know who's doing the authenticating over there?

==> I don't think their site has the prices yet...
I'm not sure who is doing the authenticating but I heard the person worked at either jsa or psa at some point....

probstein123 01-28-2013 07:23 PM

We were having cocktails in a hotel room of the camp photographer when Ernie walked i

very cool

kmac32 01-28-2013 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by probstein123 (Post 1080232)
very cool

He had some great stories. Ernie had me call my wife and he talked with her for about 5 minutes. He kept on telling her that she was the boss of our home and she needed to keep me in line. He was very personable. Signed anything we wanted signed.

shelly 01-28-2013 08:06 PM

Travis, where are you? Another company with three letters. For the rest of you have them tell you who authenticates for them and what there background is. I just can not think that anyone would be so excited with even knowing anything about the people that you are going to spend your money to tell you if it is (In there opinion it is authentic)
This is one more of many that have your interest because you respect them for something that has nothing to do with autographs.
I cant wait for all of you that come on this site and ask our opinions. Once you get a no I am sure you will seek out SGC to make sure. Wow how much do the charge. I cant wait a new company to tell me something you ask of us everyday. They are great, how exciting it to have a new company to take my money.

Jim, Richard, David,Chris, Travis or anyone else that has any balls should no longer give you any opinion.Pay
for it:( You know have a new place to spend your money. I am sure there experts are so much better than the people you ask everyday on this site for nothing.
I will say this, if anyone I have mentioned is part of this company. It is time for you to get paid.

travrosty 01-28-2013 08:20 PM

i would like to know who the authenticators are, what their experience is, exactly who looks at the autograph. these are questions i have never gotten answers to.

it will be another psa, jsa clone to take your money and not give any transparency, responsibility, accountability, accuracy, customer service. same old same old. second verse, same as the first.

cubsfan-budman 01-28-2013 08:24 PM

after reading tons of posts on grading services and frankly, tending to agree with the curmudgeons on most of their points, i think this is actually a pretty cool deal. more competition means doing more to earn business and if collectors need transparency and accountability hopefully these companies will start using those things to attract customers.

in the meantime, i intend to stay the heck off shelly's lawn.

Big Dave 01-28-2013 08:59 PM

If eBay doesn't except their autograph authentications .....it won't matter at all.

probstein123 01-29-2013 07:50 AM

If eBay doesn't except their autograph authentications .....it won't matter at all.

dave, you are 10,000% correct, I was told that this was in process...sgc is very well regarded within the "trust and safety " world of ebay , so I think they should be able to get approved...

Smanzari 01-29-2013 08:03 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up on the Weaver Signed RC- I needed one for the signed HOF RC collection and this is the first one I have seen, in what seems like weeks, at a decent price!

probstein123 01-29-2013 08:11 AM

Thanks for the heads up on the Weaver Signed RC

enjoy, we will ship it today, thanks
rick

JimStinson 01-29-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1080263)
Travis, where are you? Another company with three letters. For the rest of you have them tell you who authenticates for them and what there background is. I just can not think that anyone would be so excited with even knowing anything about the people that you are going to spend your money to tell you if it is (In there opinion it is authentic)
This is one more of many that have your interest because you respect them for something that has nothing to do with autographs.
I cant wait for all of you that come on this site and ask our opinions. Once you get a no I am sure you will seek out SGC to make sure. Wow how much do the charge. I cant wait a new company to tell me something you ask of us everyday. They are great, how exciting it to have a new company to take my money.

Jim, Richard, David,Chris, Travis or anyone else that has any balls should no longer give you any opinion.Pay
for it:( You know have a new place to spend your money. I am sure there experts are so much better than the people you ask everyday on this site for nothing.
I will say this, if anyone I have mentioned is part of this company. It is time for you to get paid.

+1 Opinions given for free (at least when it comes to autographs) are percieved as having no value no matter how great or limited the expertise of the person rendering the opinion. However take the exact same item , charge $100.00 to have someone examine it and slab it (No matter for the level of expertise of the examiner or lack of it) and that item will be then be held with the same degree of reverence reserved for the Rosetta Stone or other precious artifact. It baffles me

HOFAUTOS 01-29-2013 09:30 AM

I only get items I want to sell authenticated, and most collectors have never heard of Jim, Travis, Richard, or Chris, therefore they want the item to have a PSA/DNA or JSA certificate. I don't like it but that's the way things are. The first thing they ask us who is the cert from? Without even examining the autograph! It sucks that its this way but it is what it is.

Side note - I love the SGC holder and wouldn't mind getting some of my signed cards slabbed. That's why I wanted to know how much it is.

Sean1125 01-29-2013 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS (Post 1080435)
I only get items I want to sell authenticated, and most collectors have never heard of Jim, Travis, Richard, or Chris, therefore they want the item to have a PSA/DNA or JSA certificate. I don't like it but that's the way things are. The first thing they ask us who is the cert from? Without even examining the autograph! It sucks that its this way but it is what it is.

Side note - I love the SGC holder and wouldn't mind getting some of my signed cards slabbed. That's why I wanted to know how much it is.

I would much rather give anyone on your list my business but when I go to sell at a show I show the cert or mention a name and they say "Oh so it's not PSA?"... So frustrating... :(

Duluth Eskimo 01-29-2013 09:50 AM

SGC authenticating autographs

I find it ironic that someone who owns a large auction / consignment business is "introducing" a service for SGC without providing any details regarding questions about primary authenticators working for SGC. I do not necessarily agree that PSA and JSA and potentially others do not have a purpose in the hobby as others routinely mention, but others are right on point with specific questions. If you plan on "mentioning" a service like this that is not public yet or listed on the SGC website (if others are correct) you should come clean with your knowledge or let others know where they can get their questions answered. This seems a little too convenient.

Fuddjcal 01-29-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1080420)
+1 Opinions given for free (at least when it comes to autographs) are percieved as having no value no matter how great or limited the expertise of the person rendering the opinion. However take the exact same item , charge $100.00 to have someone examine it and slab it (No matter for the level of expertise of the examiner or lack of it) and that item will be then be held with the same degree of reverence reserved for the Rosetta Stone or other precious artifact. It baffles me

+1 agree...totally baffling. It's Buffoonery 101.:D

chaddurbin 01-29-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1080446)
I find it ironic that someone who owns a large auction / consignment business is "introducing" a service for SGC without providing any details regarding questions about primary authenticators working for SGC. I do not necessarily agree that PSA and JSA and potentially others do not have a purpose in the hobby as others routinely mention, but others are right on point with specific questions. If you plan on "mentioning" a service like this that is not public yet or listed on the SGC website (if others are correct) you should come clean with your knowledge or let others know where they can get their questions answered. This seems a little too convenient.

yes, and he conveniently glosses over other threads about shillings in his auctions etc. sgc has always been pretty upfront, i think they will have to let us know who the authenticator(s) is/are when they get this rolling. i'm thinking there has to be at least 2-3 experts as a modern players' sigs and signing habits are totally different than older players.

let's see, richard hasn't responded in this thread and he's only a state over from sgc so maybe they scooped him up? ;)

otismalibu 01-29-2013 11:48 AM

No mention of this on their site...yet.

http://www.sgccard.com/boards/ubbthreads.php

FWIW, there was a $11 special that ran about this time last year. The thread is in the Auto section.

mschwade 01-29-2013 11:59 AM

From what I've been told, Michael Root (former JSA authenticator and director) will be doing the authentications. Rumor has it, they originally tried to recruit one of our valuable forum members.

probstein123 01-29-2013 12:47 PM

any details regarding questions about primary authenticators working for SGC

any details regarding questions about primary authenticators working for SGC
==> I was told today that mike root is the director of authentication for SGC and that he was the former director of authentication at JSA...also, they have a large pool of consultants lined up helping , I don't know any of those names at this time , but I'm confident SGC will make them available once they update their website and launch and official press release.....

shelly 01-29-2013 01:09 PM

Just what the hobby needs more experts.

drc 01-29-2013 01:23 PM

I don't know about this or that expert, but do know SGC is a reputable company that is concerned and careful about accurate identification in other areas.

shelly 01-29-2013 04:02 PM

So, Mike Root leaves James Spence to now run SGC. I don not see much of a change here. I thought up until know Jim did all there authenticating. Now they will make more money by entering a new market place besides autograph cards.;) Very nice. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JimStinson 01-29-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mschwade (Post 1080519)
From what I've been told, Michael Root (former JSA authenticator and director) will be doing the authentications. Rumor has it, they originally tried to recruit one of our valuable forum members.

I am sure they will be ALL household names in the autograph business , the "rumor" is correct BUT since all of the name brands in the autograph business do not come cheap ...Mostly because they already have lucrative established businesses you will get the "experts" that need the dough ,
You get what you pay for. Slabbing has become the new "legos" for adults

chaddurbin 01-29-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1080641)
I am sure they will be ALL household names in the autograph business , the "rumor" is correct BUT since all of the name brands in the autograph business do not come cheap ...Mostly because they already have lucrative established businesses you will get the "experts" that need the dough ,
You get what you pay for. Slabbing has become the new "legos" for adults

Jim Stinson...NOT a cheap date!

JimStinson 01-29-2013 04:35 PM

JimStinson

Like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her”
Ernest Hemingway

tinkereversandme 01-29-2013 04:38 PM

Doesn't Jimmy just teach people how to be him anyways? There are like a dozen people authenticating for him that I honestly have never heard of and who is to say who actually authenticated anything? I guess anyone can learn how to authenticate autographs with that kind of thinking.

Larry

RichardSimon 01-29-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1080651)
Jim Stinson...NOT a cheap date!

Share a few beers with him for a very fun night :).

JimStinson 01-29-2013 04:53 PM

JimStinson

No I'm NOT a cheap date when it comes to autograph authentication ..because to do it right takes MONEY
And to put a 30 year reputation on the line does not come cheap, I'm not a SELL OUT whore that allows my name on any "so called certificate" there are plenty of those already.

HOFAUTOS 01-29-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean1125 (Post 1080437)
I would much rather give anyone on your list my business but when I go to sell at a show I show the cert or mention a name and they say "Oh so it's not PSA?"... So frustrating... :(

Yup same here. I've actually purchased from Jim on ebay and man did I get my items fast :D

But since most regular collectors only know of the big two authentication companies, they won't buy the item unless it has the certificate. Go on any other website in the hobby and post an autograph for sale. The first thing they ask is who is the cert from. They don't even care about the autograph itself.

JimStinson 01-29-2013 05:04 PM

JimStinson

1 Attachment(s)
Best Option in this hobby today.. put a 25 year old kid behind a curtain pay him slightly above minimum wage and call him an expert. The sheep will flock in droves. What a country ! what a hobby ! lol

Deertick 01-29-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman (Post 1080271)
in the meantime, i intend to stay the heck off shelly's lawn.

:D

JimStinson 01-29-2013 06:08 PM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOFAUTOS (Post 1080435)

If "most collectors" have never heard of Jim Stinson or Richard Simon its likely they have not been in this game too long. Pop quiz
1) Who were the original 4 consultants for PSA ?
2) Who was the consultant with the LEAST experience ?
3) Which consultant was a guest at Jim Stinson's wedding ? hint its the answer to #2
4) Is it important to you that the item have a COA or is REAL ?
and lastly if you think a COA is going to sell the item for you, REAL collectors ...REAL authenticators like the members who read this board are FAR smarter and informed than you think

shelly 01-29-2013 06:39 PM

All bull aside. This is just another place opening up for business. My question is why would the public accept them as people they should trust. They are not PSA or JSA . Global was a joke, why not them.
Jim and Rich might make jokes but who in the autograph authenticating world has any idea who they are. Every one on this site even David has respect for them, but what does it mean when your trying to sell something? Not anyone who is going to spend money or try and resell an item purchased from them.
Tell the truth if you had a piece authenticated by the above mentioned would you try and have it authenticated by PSA or JSA if and when you wanted to sell it?
If you had a great boxing piece would you send it to Travis. Not a chance in hell. This is all about money.:mad:

cubsfan-budman 01-29-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1080747)
All bull aside. This is just another place opening up for business. My question is why would the public accept them as people they should trust. They are not PSA or JSA . Global was a joke, why not them.
Jim and Rich might make jokes but who in the autograph authenticating world has any idea who they are. Every one on this site even David has respect for them, but what does it mean when your trying to sell something? Not anyone who is going to spend money or try and resell an item purchased from them.
Tell the truth if you had a piece authenticated by the above mentioned would you try and have it authenticated by PSA or JSA if and when you wanted to sell it?
If you had a great boxing piece would you send it to Travis. Not a chance in hell. This is all about money.:mad:

well, i think that it really depends on what your goals are when buying things. in general, i wait for someone to sell something on B/S/T or Richard or Jim's email blasts because i'm a collector, not a seller.

all i care about is if it is real. i dont give a crap whether i can sell it on ebay.

jgmp123 01-29-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman (Post 1080759)
well, i think that it really depends on what your goals are when buying things. in general, i wait for someone to sell something on B/S/T or Richard or Jim's email blasts because i'm a collector, not a seller.

all i care about is if it is real. i dont give a crap whether i can sell it on ebay.

+1:)

Deertick 01-29-2013 07:15 PM

Not to burst your ego (like I even could ;) ), but..... "most collectors" don't know you guys from Adam. Just like they don't know *ANY* authenticator. But they put their money on the generally accepted belief (hope) that a TPA knows what they are doing. (Which feeds the scammers that have pretty holograms and websites).

Put another way: Let's say you are a seller of precious metals. You are a good merchant, possibly even the best. You always give your customers a fair price and good quality. But you measure gold composition in stinsons instead of karats. Your stinson may be identical to karats. Those who have done business with you, love your service and price. However, when they try to resell, they're going to have a hard time selling an 18 stinson gold chain without having to convert it to karats. For those in the know, easy sell. For the vast majority...not so much.

Disclaimer: I have not had any dealings with anyone mentioned thus far, including ANY TPA.

HexsHeroes 01-29-2013 07:25 PM

I'll take a wild guess on question #3 .. .

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimStinson (Post 1080722)
If "most collectors" have never heard of Jim Stinson or Richard Simon its likely they have not been in this game too long. Pop quiz
1) Who were the original 4 consultants for PSA ?
2) Who was the consultant with the LEAST experience ?
3) Which consultant was a guest at Jim Stinson's wedding ? hint its the answer to #2
4) Is it important to you that the item have a COA or is REAL ?
and lastly if you think a COA is going to sell the item for you, REAL collectors ...REAL authenticators like the members who read this board are FAR smarter and informed than you think

. . . and say perhaps it was/could have been fellow autograph dealer Bill Corcoran ?

I'm only guessing BC just because of both of you had worked from Florida at one time or another, as well as co-hosted a hospitality room together at a Cleveland National, with Bob Feller as the visiting celebrity.

On a more serious note, I already feel that each and every one of my purchases from Jim Stinson, Richard Simon, Bill Corcoran, Ron Gordon, Doug Averitt, and Kevin Keating has come with a LOA (which may someday come in useful when the time comes to part with my collection); each came with a invoice written on company letterhead which I have saved. Nuf said.