Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   OT: Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238503)

Buythatcard 04-19-2017 05:29 AM

OT: Aaron Hernandez Commits Suicide

Shocking news.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aar...ide/index.html

Rookiemonster 04-19-2017 06:14 AM

Wow this guy can't do anything right

Joshwesley 04-19-2017 06:17 AM

Top 5 gator that I ever saw play at Florida field.

What a waste

D.P.Johnson 04-19-2017 06:30 AM

Al rato vato...

Snapolit1 04-19-2017 06:42 AM

People are somehow always shocked to learn that many of then men who excel in the extremely violent sport of football are not the most well adjusted rational folks.

Hernandez's pre-draft scouting report:

“Self-esteem is quite low; not well-adjusted emotionally, not happy, moods unpredictable, not stable, doesn’t take much to set him off, but not an especially jumpy guy,” the scout read.

Patriots probably found that to be a glowing report.

Bpm0014 04-19-2017 06:46 AM

F him. I read somewhere he may have killed upwards of 5 people in his life. May he rot in hell.

Snapolit1 04-19-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1652099)
F him. I read somewhere he may have killed upwards of 5 people in his life. May he rot in hell.

You must not be on Twitter. Conspiracy theories off and running. Beat double murder rap and was going to get sprung at some point. Very fishy stuff. Amazing how much sympathy people have for this guy.

iwantitiwinit 04-19-2017 06:57 AM

Peter_Spaeth 04-19-2017 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1652101)
You must not be on Twitter. Conspiracy theories off and running. Beat double murder rap and was going to get sprung at some point. Very fishy stuff. Amazing how much sympathy people have for this guy.

He was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole, how was he going to get sprung?

Snapolit1 04-19-2017 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1652111)
He was serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole, how was he going to get sprung?

Believe he was appealing the first conviction.

I'm not saying it's rational thought . . . just how the public mind works these days. Why look at the simple fact that some murderer hung himself if you can construct some wild ass theory that's a lot more interesting.

packs 04-19-2017 07:35 AM

Maybe this was the reason he asked for his daughter to come to the court the other day.

Peter_Spaeth 04-19-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1652113)
Believe he was appealing the first conviction.

I'm not saying it's rational thought . . . just how the public mind works these days. Why look at the simple fact that some murderer hung himself if you can construct some wild ass theory that's a lot more interesting.

Anyone can appeal anything, he was not going to get sprung at some point. I agree, this seems pretty straightforward.

KMayUSA6060 04-19-2017 07:58 AM

He spared people their tax dollars to house and feed him for life. He's scum. Good riddance.

JustinD 04-19-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1652098)
People are somehow always shocked to learn that many of then men who excel in the extremely violent sport of football are not the most well adjusted rational folks.

I think any large group of people will have a few bad seeds. I don't think football is a logical precursor.

For a Hernandez there is a Julio Machado (who had a Swiss cheese alibi),for a Ray Rice there is a Milton Bradley. Bad people just exist and this was one especially bad person.

I hope there is some money left in the estate for the families of the victims.

Snapolit1 04-19-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1652158)
I think any large group of people will have a few bad seeds. I don't think football is a logical precursor.

For a Hernandez there is a Julio Machado (who had a Swiss cheese alibi),for a Ray Rice there is a Milton Bradley. Bad people just exist and this was one especially bad person.

... and his daughter. Who is going to have this to carry around for the rest of her life. I haven't been following the trials. Hopefully the mother is a good person. (As compared to him who wouldn't be.)

ramram 04-19-2017 11:08 AM

And as far as history is concerned, due to a glitch in Massachusetts law, he will now go down as innocent of the murder he was convicted of.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...f:nbcnews:text

Marckus99 04-19-2017 11:21 AM

I wish I could have killed him.
No joke.

steve B 04-19-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 1652172)
And as far as history is concerned, due to a glitch in Massachusetts law, he will now go down as innocent of the murder he was convicted of.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...f:nbcnews:text

I just read that before getting on the board today. Pretty strange stuff.

Steve B

pclpads 04-19-2017 02:10 PM

To quote former VP Cheney: "So?"

DHogan 04-19-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1652101)
Amazing how much sympathy people have for this guy.

None here.

PhillipAbbott79 04-19-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookiemonster (Post 1652090)
Wow this guy can't do anything right

It sounds like in the end he got it right. He is dead, and now innocent. Likely a motive if you ask me.

clydepepper 04-19-2017 02:51 PM

What pisses me off about this is that his lawyer came out with a statement implying that he would never had committed suicide, even though there were a number of things jammed up against the cell door - from the inside - keeping anyone from stopping him from what he decided to do.

Isn't it time for him and all those who believed in Hernandez to finally admit that they really did not know him as well as they thought?

58pinson 04-19-2017 03:08 PM

AMF. And I don't mean adios my friend!

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I think someone said in a movie once, "Pantangeli's small potatoes."

I live for the day that those two freaks that did that home invasion in Connecticut a few years ago are found dead in their cells - and not from hanging.

Snapolit1 04-19-2017 03:34 PM

Killed some hard working dude who accidentally bumped into him at a club. Unreal. No tears shed here that this guy is off the earth.

conor912 04-19-2017 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1652265)
Killed some hard working dude who accidentally bumped into him at a club. Unreal. No tears shed here that this guy is off the earth.

Wow. The court of public opinion's lack of faith in the judicial system can be breathtaking sometimes.

Snapolit1 04-19-2017 03:48 PM

Don't know what that last comment means. He was convicted of first degree murder, was he not? Maybe I'm confusing the facts of what he was convicted of. And just because someone was not convicted of a crime does not mean he didn't do it. It means his guilt could not be established by the State beyond a reasonable doubt. See OJ Simpson.

conor912 04-19-2017 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1652274)
Don't know what that last comment means. He was convicted of first degree murder, was he not?

The first murder charge, yes. The second, where the drink spilling occurred, he was just acquitted on.

mark evans 04-19-2017 05:49 PM

Trash. Glad to see he's gone.

bmattioli 04-19-2017 06:06 PM

Just another thug.. See Ya..

1952boyntoncollector 04-19-2017 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustinD (Post 1652158)

He could of written a book about his life and made money for his family. He woldnt be allowed to profit of a crime, but he could talk about the allegations and his side of story around the trial that he won.

He still would of had visitation with his daughter....not sure why he did what he did

1952boyntoncollector 04-19-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1652274)
Don't know what that last comment means. He was convicted of first degree murder, was he not? Maybe I'm confusing the facts of what he was convicted of. And just because someone was not convicted of a crime does not mean he didn't do it. It means his guilt could not be established by the State beyond a reasonable doubt. See OJ Simpson.

However there appeared to be a lot more doubt on that second case versus the OJ case in terms of whether a guilty verdict was expected.

I know i would of been shocked that he would of been found guilty in that second murder trial considering the terrible witnesses involved etc. The OJ case to me it was more shocking of a not guilty verdict even though not totally shocking. I think you cant compare those two cases.

HercDriver 04-19-2017 07:19 PM

No loss

A gain for society. They should have more sheets in prison, with hooks from the ceiling and how-to videos. I grew up in Chicago and it makes me sick to see the scum that kill innocent people.

conor912 04-19-2017 08:13 PM

Would "have" been, not would "of" been. Consider this a grammer lesson from my third margarita.

And a bunch of smiley faces so you know I'm breaking balls and not (purposely) being a dick :) :) :) :) :)

wondo 04-19-2017 08:26 PM

Aaron Hernandez was a bad man. Why? Who knows. He comes from a middle class athletic family; perhaps too much was thrust upon him. Perhaps he felt entitled, invincible. Perhaps he had a screw loose. I certainly do not know. What I do know is that he was convicted of murder and, therefore, the lowest of human beings. It is pathetic that we, myself included, stoop to discuss him because of his athletic prowess. He did us a favor. In my advanced years I've come to have a distaste for the death penalty. Anything but 100% certainty taints the punishment - we ain't at 100%. I feel no remorse, no vindication with Hernandez's apparent suicide. May the families and victims somehow find peace.

Bpm0014 04-20-2017 07:01 AM

Wow. The court of public opinion's lack of faith in the judicial system can be breathtaking sometimes.

You're right. Killing 1 innocent person is so much better than killing 3 (or possible 4 or 5 they are saying?). Good riddance you waste of life.

bnorth 04-20-2017 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1652272)

Yes but it has been well earned.

I feel sorry for everyone involved. No matter how bad someone is there are people that loved them and will miss them dearly.

packs 04-20-2017 07:17 AM

Was reading today about how Lloyd's family won't be able to pursue civil judgments against his estate because he's technically innocent in the eyes of the law. This country's legal system really is something else. I remember the case of the Norfolk Four, four guys who were convicted of a crime they didn't commit and were later pardoned for. For years after one of the men got out he was forced to register as a sex offender even though another man had confessed to the crime the court convicted him of. The system's excuse was that because he had served a full sentence he wasn't eligible for exoneration. It took a full pardon from the state before he was allowed to stop registering as a sex offender for a crime another man confessed to.

Jason 04-20-2017 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1652425)
Yes but it has been well earned.

I feel sorry for everyone involved. No matter how bad someone is there are people that loved them and will miss them dearly.

I agree with you Ben. They consequences of ones actions are felt by family maybe more than the individual themselves.

conor912 04-20-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1652422)

You're right. Killing 1 innocent person is so much better than killing 3 (or possible 4 or 5 they are saying?). Good riddance you waste of life.

My comment was based on some confused facts that were later clarified. Hernandez was a bad dude and he did the world a favor yesterday. I do feel bad for Lloyd's family who is going to get screwed financially now. That's just not right and it makes me wonder if this wasn't Hernandez's plan all along....If/when acquitted on the double murder, kill himself while other case was under appeal so he would be exonerated and his family could keep his money. Why else go to the trouble of that entire trial just to hang yourself 2 days later?.....But who knows.

And yes, killing 1 person IS way better than killing 3, 4 or 5.

nolemmings 04-20-2017 09:17 AM

Why is it that people believe Lloyd's family is screwed financially now? Hernandez did not die an innocent man. He died unconvicted--there is a huge difference.

Frankly, even had he been acquiitted, he could still be found liable in a civil action--ask O.J.

packs 04-20-2017 09:27 AM

I'm not a lawyer but does the defendant being dead factor into a civil wrongful death suit? OJ was very much alive for his.

nolemmings 04-20-2017 09:45 AM

You won't be able to get incriminating testimony from the defendant but you still have all the other evidence, including witness testimony, and the burden of proof is not beyond a reasonable doubt but rather preponderance of the evidence. Sure a final conviction would have made it a slam dunk but unless there's something strange about Mass law the civil case can still proceed, although I suppose the defendant will have to be changed to the estate of Aaron Hernandez.

conor912 04-20-2017 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1652497)
You won't be able to get incriminating testimony from the defendant but you still have all the other evidence, including witness testimony, and the burden of proof is not beyond a reasonable doubt but rather preponderance of the evidence. Sure a final conviction would have made it a slam dunk but unless there's something strange about Mass law the civil case can still proceed, although I suppose the defendant will have to be changed to the estate of Aaron Hernandez.

Never underestimate the strangeness of MA law. Last I checked it was still illegal to sell alcohol on Sundays ☺️

pokerplyr80 04-20-2017 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1652244)
What pisses me off about this is that his lawyer came out with a statement implying that he would never had committed suicide, even though there were a number of things jammed up against the cell door - from the inside - keeping anyone from stopping him from what he decided to do.

Isn't it time for him and all those who believed in Hernandez to finally admit that they really did not know him as well as they thought?

Guilty or not I'm not buying that this was a suicide. It seems just as likely that the number of things jammed up against the door were staged to help someone else get away with murder.

Peter_Spaeth 04-20-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolemmings (Post 1652480)
Why is it that people believe Lloyd's family is screwed financially now? Hernandez did not die an innocent man. He died unconvicted--there is a huge difference.

Frankly, even had he been acquiitted, he could still be found liable in a civil action--ask O.J.

Irrespective of his suicide, I'm not sure Hernandez had much left in the way of assets. Those legal bills add up fast.

clydepepper 04-20-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1652537)
Guilty or not I'm not buying that this was a suicide. It seems just as likely that the number of things jammed up against the door were staged to help someone else get away with murder.

The items were, reportedly, jammed up against the door on the INSIDE and he was in a single person cell...come on Sherlock...think!

packs 04-20-2017 11:53 AM

I don't really understand the conspiracy theories either. I mean, this guy was HUGE. It would take more than one person to subdue him enough to hang him and I don't hear anyone reporting any external injuries on him.

drcy 04-20-2017 12:40 PM

Always expect conspiracy theories.

I remember when a collector showed me an original item he'd won at auction that he was worried was a fake. He brought up all these details, which I said weren't a problem. I finally said "You're just going to have to accept the fact that it's authentic."

Peter_Spaeth 04-20-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1652545)
The items were, reportedly, jammed up against the door on the INSIDE and he was in a single person cell...come on Sherlock...think!

Don't let the facts get in the way of baseless speculation now.

pokerplyr80 04-20-2017 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1652545)

Who reported that? A prison official? Has anyone seen proof of what was jammed up against the door, or that only Hernandez could have done it? If that has been released I haven't seen it. Until then I will have my doubts. If nothing else the timing alone is suspicious.