Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Jefferson Burdick revisited (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=65030)

Archive 04-21-2004 11:07 PM

Jefferson Burdick revisited

Posted By: <b>Bill Cornell</b><p>All-<BR><BR>I recently received an email from Sean Kirst, a writer based in Syracuse, about Jefferson Burdick. Sean read some of the posts here after Adam W's trip to the Met and was glad to see that there are others interested in Burdick. He had a collection of some of his columns from The Post-Standard published last fall as <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0786415789/qid=1082610033/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-3488177-2143005?v=glance&s=books" target="_blank">The Ashes of Lou Gehrig and Other Essays</a>. I bought a copy and recommend it highly. One story is a short bio of Burdick that includes a photo of him not seen before. <BR><BR>Sean was kind enough to send on another article that wasn't included in his book.<BR><BR>************************************* *********************<BR><font face="Georgia"><BR>Copyright 1997 Post-Standard, All Rights Reserved. <BR> <BR>The Post-Standard (Syracuse, NY)<BR><BR>August 1, 1997 Friday Metro Edition<BR> Sean Kirst; columnist<BR><BR>HEADLINE: THE KING OF CARD COLLECTORS HAS NO STATISTICS ON HIS GRAVE<BR><BR><BR>A million dollars' worth of baseball cards, on Wolf Street tucked in cartons.<BR><BR>John DeFlores saw them. Thousands of cards. Jefferson Burdick had them <BR>stacked and filed in his apartment. In the late 1950s, DeFlores helped Burdick pack <BR>up the collection. They were shipped to New York City's Metropolitan Museum of <BR>Art. <BR><BR>Burdick sorted them there. He cataloged them. He left the museum, went to the <BR>hospital and died. The son of a Hastings dairy farmer left behind the most <BR>important collection of baseball cards in the world.<BR><BR>He left them behind for me, and for you. He could have sold them. He could <BR>have used his lifetime passion as a means to a quick buck.<BR><BR>Instead, the man universally regarded as the father of card collecting made <BR>sure his collection was available to all.<BR><BR>"He was always talking about posterity," recalls DeFlores, 89.<BR><BR>Today, the baseball world begins assembling for the Hall of Fame induction in <BR>Cooperstown. Many of the game's immortals will fly into Syracuse. Their <BR>planes will pass above Central Square and its Hillside Cemetery. Burdick is buried <BR>there, on a bluff rising above an old baseball diamond.<BR><BR>Burdick's ashes lie between his parents, in a grave marked only by a piece of <BR>blank cement. "We always put those on the graves where you know no one would <BR>ever put up a headstone," said George Perfield, 74, the cemetery caretaker.<BR><BR>An unmarked grave. It infuriates DeFlores. "He deserves a stone," DeFlores <BR>said. "Not a little stone, either. He could have sold one card and paid for a <BR>big stone. It should have room, a lot of room, for a lot of writing: 'Here lies <BR>the greatest card collector of them all."'<BR><BR>DeFlores maintains the Met, as beneficiary of a collection worth a fortune, <BR>should pick up the bill. "One card," he said. "They could sell one card, and <BR>buy the man a stone."<BR><BR>Burdick and DeFlores for years worked back-to-back on a bench at <BR>Crouse-Hinds. Burdick was frail, his body twisted by a crippling arthritis that led to an <BR>early death. DeFlores had seen that kind of struggle before. His older brother <BR>never had the strength to walk, yet became a Linotype operator.<BR><BR>DeFlores saw a similar courage in Burdick. The two men were close friends.<BR><BR>To the best knowledge of DeFlores, Burdick never attended a professional <BR>baseball game. He was a bachelor. He lived to collect. In 1939, he published a <BR>book laying out the catalog system for baseball cards.<BR><BR>Today's great collectors say Burdick saw the future. He pursued rare cards <BR>when the hobby was perceived as kid's stuff. The late Frank Nagy of Detroit, for <BR>instance, once compared Burdick's role in the history of baseball cards to <BR>the mythical role of Abner Doubleday in the birth of baseball.<BR><BR>"Burdick is my hero," said Alan Rosen of New Jersey, who claims to be the <BR>world's largest dealer in old sports memorabilia.<BR><BR>For decades, Burdick was a prophet without honor. While baseball card <BR>collecting turned into a billion-dollar industry, the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown <BR>made no provision for honoring a peripheral pioneer like Burdick. "Maybe there <BR>should be," said Jeff Idelson, executive director of communications for the hall.<BR><BR>In 1993, the Met made the Burdick collection into a permanent attraction. <BR>Tens of thousands of visitors have now viewed the Burdick cards, which feature <BR>the rare Honus Wagner tobacco card of 1910.<BR><BR>"It absolutely serves as a gateway (to a new audience) for the museum," said <BR>Harold Holzer, a spokesman for the Met. "It brings in young people, who then <BR>go on to other things."<BR><BR>Holzer doesn't feel the Met is obliged to buy Burdick a tombstone. He said <BR>the card display, unique to any major art museum in the world, serves as the <BR>monument that Burdick himself wanted. But in Central New York, host this weekend <BR>to baseball's immortals, one truth remains unchanged:<BR><BR>The Babe Ruth of a great hobby has no last card of his own.<BR><BR><BR>Sean Kirst is a columnist for The Post-Standard.<BR></font>

Archive 04-22-2004 05:05 AM

Posted By: <b>Kevin Cummings</b><p>I found it extremely sad that the man responsible for the hobby as we know it today lies in an unmarked grave. <BR><BR>Hillerich & Bradsby put a spiffy new tombstone on hometown hero Pete Browning's grave. Why couldn't the execs from Topps, Fleer and Upper Deck do the same for Burdick? <BR><BR>Heck, we could chip in and get him something!

Archive 04-22-2004 08:05 AM

Posted By: <b>Mike McGrail</b><p>Great article! I hope to see the collection some day.<BR><BR>Now about the headstone travesty. The article is 7 years old, but I assume that nothing has changed in the mean time. Key question is .... Who is gonna take this project on? Count me in financially or what ever. If none of you folks state-side can run with this, I'll do it from here in Holland. We just gotta get this fixed.<BR><BR>Mike

Archive 04-22-2004 09:17 AM

Posted By: <b>Keith O'Leary</b><p>Really.....We certainly owe him much more then a headstone.<BR><BR>I know he was a lifelong bacheleor, does he have any family left? K<BR><BR><BR>

Archive 04-22-2004 09:25 AM

Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I'm talking to a friend of mine in New York about taking this on. If anyone else wants to handle this I'll be happy to contribute.<BR><BR>

Archive 04-23-2004 12:12 AM

Posted By: <b>Bill Cornell</b><p>I'm not sure if what was true in '97 is still the case, but I doubt it's been fixed, as Burdick had no family.<BR><BR>Let us know, Pete.

Archive 04-24-2004 04:03 PM

Posted By: <b>T206Collector</b><p>...we should be chipping in to give Burdick's collection a better home at the Met. When I asked what it would take to have more than 1/300th of the collection displayed at any time, a woman in the the Prints department told me to come back after I had struck it rich. Well, maybe as a group we could finance that. <BR><BR>Just a thought. I suspect Burdick would have rather had people flocking to NYC to see his cards, not Syracuse to see his grave.

Archive 04-25-2004 12:09 AM

Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I heard back from Sean Kirst regarding Jefferson Burdick's grave site. Happy to say Burdick does in fact have a marker on his grave. A gentleman named John DeFlores who worked with Burdick bought the gravestone out of his own pocket.<BR><BR>An exhibit of the collection would be great but it sounds rather time consuming and expensive. If anyone wants to pursue that route I'll try to help in some way if I can.

Archive 04-26-2004 01:54 AM

Posted By: <b>Mike McGrail</b><p>Pete, thanks for letting us know what the actual situation is on this.<BR><BR>Glad to hear that this has been taken care of.<BR><BR>Mike