Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why have a card simply authenticated? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246814)

greco827 10-29-2017 07:28 AM

Why have a card simply authenticated?

Other than a card which is clearly a disaster, why have a card authenticated rather than graded? Is it cheaper? Is it because the person submitting it for grade felt it could bring more money as authenticated rather than risk it being a 2 or 3?

I see some cards I am interested in which are only authenticated, but I am cautious of buying them. Should I be?

Batpig 10-29-2017 08:12 AM

A lot of times an auth card is trimmed or otherwise altered. It can also be given to hand cut cards that were cut too much.

greco827 10-29-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batpig (Post 1714926)
A lot of times an auth card is trimmed or otherwise altered. It can also be given to hand cut cards that were cut too much.

That's a good point, and I like that PSA makes note of it on the label. SGC however, does not. I'm a novice with pre-war cards, and really just looking at T206's at the moment, so it's hard for me to tell.

Here is an example. To me, this looks like a card that would get a 2 or 3, assuming it has no wrinkles or creases, which as far as I can tell it doe not. Seems to be well centered, and the corners are slightly worn, which to me, would indicate it's not trimmed. There's nothing special about it, just an example that maybe I can learn from. What are your collective thoughts on this particular card .... things I should look for or indications of trimming or other flaws?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-T206-B...53.m1438.l2649

Leon 10-29-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greco827 (Post 1714930)
That's a good point, and I like that PSA makes note of it on the label. SGC however, does not. I'm a novice with pre-war cards, and really just looking at T206's at the moment, so it's hard for me to tell.

Here is an example. To me, this looks like a card that would get a 2 or 3, assuming it has no wrinkles or creases, which as far as I can tell it doe not. Seems to be well centered, and the corners are slightly worn, which to me, would indicate it's not trimmed. There's nothing special about it, just an example that maybe I can learn from. What are your collective thoughts on this particular card .... things I should look for or indications of trimming or other flaws?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1910-T206-B...53.m1438.l2649

Once you look at more cards you will see things easier. To me, it looks like an obvious trim on top.

drcy 10-29-2017 10:01 AM

If a card is graded just authentic it's probably altered or in particularly bad shape (such as missing part).

The exceptions are with a particularly unusual/rare card or item that the company feels it can't assign a grade, and autographed cards, where people sometimes just want to know the card & autograph is genuine.

Sean 10-29-2017 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cards are given the "authentic" grade when they don't qualify for a numeric grade (usually due to trimming or some other alteration). Here's one that I would like to have received a numeric grade, but it was hand cut and can only be given an Authentic. It looks like about a seven.

Attachment 292758

ValKehl 11-01-2017 12:04 PM

Jason, I assume that every eBay seller knows why his/her card is graded "A." So, if the reason is not apparent and not mentioned in the eBay listing, I ask the seller. I feel that most sellers will respond with an honest answer.

bobbyw8469 11-01-2017 02:08 PM

Usually trim or color touch is the culprit....I personally, have had "A" cards get numeric grades from another grader.

tbob 11-01-2017 02:45 PM

I think any true collector is fine with a nice looking, very slightly trimmed example of a tough card, encapsulated in an "authentic" holder. Especially if the card is a scarce one. I am probably in the minority but I'd take a beautiful lightly trimmed card over one that looks like it went through a meat grinder, but grades.
If you are a set collector and run in to a card which may run four figures even as an SGC 10, you might be fine with an SGC A which is a great looking card with nice eye appeal but a tiny trim. At the very least it can be a nice placeholder until a gradable card comes along that fits the bill.
Just my 2 cents.

SAllen2556 11-01-2017 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As a novice I purchased this at a show in an "authentic" holder. The guy selling it pitched me this whole story of how he just wanted it protected and that he chose to simply get it authenticated so people would know it was real. What he didn't tell me was that the card was almost definitely soaked and pressed and possibly trimmed. At the very least it's warped to the point of no return, upgradable, and wasn't worth what I paid. Lesson learned: authentic means tampered.
Attachment 293103

skelly 11-01-2017 04:35 PM

I would be in the minority, but I don't like the term "poor." I feel it puts a negative spin / vibe on the card. I request just an "Auth" grade if I feel the card could be deemed a poor. On a couple occasions I have bought a poor and crossed to an "auth: grade.