Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   GAI original flips (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244375)

CMIZ5290 08-31-2017 04:17 PM

GAI original flips

What did the original GAI flips look like when they first came out? I'm possibly doing a deal/trade on a very high dollar card and hoping it was graded in GAI's infancy. They were silver/black correct? Not White/black... Any help would be greatly appreciated....

GasHouseGang 08-31-2017 04:27 PM

Kevin, try this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=196934

It's got photos of old and new.

RedsFan1941 08-31-2017 04:30 PM

if someone could post how ISA flips changed over the years, that would be helpful too.

cardsnstuff 08-31-2017 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 (Post 1696585)
What did the original GAI flips look like when they first came out? I'm possibly doing a deal/trade on a very high dollar card and hoping it was graded in GAI's infancy. They were silver/black correct? Not White/black... Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Here is an original flip; They were operating somewhere between 3 and 6 months at this point. Unfortunately for me I have 500+ that nobody wants.

Attachment 286134

Sean 08-31-2017 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kevin, here's one that I owned for years. I crossed it to PSA a few years ago without a problem.

JollyElm 08-31-2017 04:59 PM

Mr. Stuff beat me to it, but I have this one to show...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4278/...d4bf0cc7_b.jpg

Peter_Spaeth 08-31-2017 05:05 PM

They kept that flip for many years as I recall, well into the period they became less reliable. I wouldn't go by the flip.

irv 08-31-2017 06:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My only one that I purchased last year. At that time I had heard about GAI but someone on here, (forget now?) told me this was also an older flip and with the player and value, I likely had nothing to worry about.

Imo, it is a decent looking card for the grade. (lower left, Wally Westlake.)

DeanH3 08-31-2017 06:09 PM

The back of the label tells a lot as well. I believe the early labels are slightly different on the back.

DeanH3 08-31-2017 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what the back of an early label looks like.

CurtisFlood 09-01-2017 12:53 PM

The Chicago National previous to the Atlantic City National some guy came up to a company that was taking consignments for an auction with a GAI 10 Pete Rose RC that he had bought at the show. He seemed confused when the folks from the auction house told him the card was counterfeit and that he should take it back to the person who sold it to him for a refund. Something seemed a bit fishy about the way he acted.

Wonder if some of their flips made it out of the factory in an altered state after the company closed down. Much monkey business involved in card grading and altering. Beware anyone who sells you a graded 10 Pete Rose, especially from a company who just went out of business and the price is $1000.

DeanH3 09-01-2017 09:41 PM

Overall I think early GAI cards are fine in regards to counterfeits and alterations. Baker knew how to spot counterfeits and alterations. The only caveat would be how "his" type of grading standards holds up today. He, like PSA and SGC have different ares of focus. I know baker wasn't as harsh on surface wrinkles. He once told be personally if he couldn't see it with his naked eye it didn't concern him as much. SGC is tougher on surface wrinkles and back damage. Whereas PSA is tougher on corners.

Also, I would wager that most cards still left in GAI holders have been attempted at a cross over to PSA/SGC but have failed. Not because they are badly graded, but because of a difference in standards.

Early on I got caught up in the GAI hype and had a bunch of PSA cards crossed over. I then had great success at getting those GAI cards into SGC holders at equal grades. One card, a T206 dark cap Matty PSA 5 to GAI 5, would not cross to an SGC 60 due to a small very hard to see surface wrinkle. SGC was harder on surface wrinkles than Baker.

Never tried to cross the GAI cards back to PSA because after hearing the experience of other collectors, I felt PSA HATED GAI and therefore would never cross a GAI card. You'd have to bust the card out and resubmit (Sound familiar?) and didn't want to go that route.

Anyway, my 2 cents of rambling.

savedfrommyspokes 09-02-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeanH3 (Post 1696998)
Early on I got caught up in the GAI hype and had a bunch of PSA cards crossed over. I then had great success at getting those GAI cards into SGC holders at equal grades. One card, a T206 dark cap Matty PSA 5 to GAI 5, would not cross to an SGC 60 due to a small very hard to see surface wrinkle. SGC was harder on surface wrinkles than Baker.

I also got caught up in the GAI hype approximately 12-13 years ago but stopped within a month or two. I ended up with 15-20 key cards from my sets in these holders. Over time I have upgraded/replaced about half of these GAI cards and subsequently sold them off. Surprisingly, some of them sold for as much as similar conditioned BGS cards. IMO, this was because the GAI flips I had were some of their very early flips.

Peter_Spaeth 09-02-2017 10:50 AM

Say what you will about PSA, they have withstood some potentially significant competitive threats like their president and head grader defecting, and never really been hurt.

irv 09-02-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1697086)
Say what you will about PSA, they have withstood some potentially significant competitive threats like their president and head grader defecting, and never really been hurt.

What were the reason(s) for that?

Peter_Spaeth 09-02-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irv (Post 1697155)
What were the reason(s) for that?

They left to form GAI. I don't know the motivation, whether it was a rift with David Hall, and/or they thought they could make more money, etc.