Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

thetahat 04-16-2024 07:42 PM

Kyle and Gary,

A sometimes poster on this thread (not for awhile though) sent me pics of both the ‘15 Phillies and the ‘18 Red Sox but he asked me not to share. Maybe he reads this and will reconsider …

ooo-ribay 04-16-2024 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2427267)
Kyle and Gary,

A sometimes poster on this thread (not for awhile though) sent me pics of both the ‘15 Phillies and the ‘18 Red Sox but he asked me not to share. Maybe he reads this and will reconsider …

Cloak and dagger… :cool:

1.9 million views. :eek:

UKCardGuy 04-17-2024 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2427101)
Rob, I thought it was pretty good buy, actually. Even with the uncertain origin and damage.

I agree it was a pretty good buy. I would have paid that but I wasn't sure about it's legitimacy. The seller could have run an iron over the pennant and it would have presented A LOT better. For me the colors were different than other examples of the Dodgers pennant and I just wasn't sure. (Live and Learn <Sigh>)

Erik, with regards to the 1915 and 1918 Grommet pennants, it'd really be great to see them.

RaiderPennantGuy 04-17-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 2427238)
That graphic has always confused me. Is the raider ... riding a horse?? I get that he has a hook for a hand, and said hook got fouled up on the Raiders logo somehow ... but I always assumed he was being chased by another player/pirate. Now I'm not so sure.

The white felt actually brings the image into focus (even though the image is low res).

It's a logo the Raiders used in the early 60's. It's a strange logo but I guess with not much money in the early AFL days, graphics left a lot to be desired!

Attachment 618438 Attachment 618437

Fballguy 04-17-2024 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2427098)
Great points on the grommet pennants, Greg!

Somehow, I may have missed Kyle’s Pennant Factory grommet. Even though it’s D**gers, it’s damn cool. I love the color scheme.

Do you guys think $600+ was an overpay on the trashed ebay Dodgers? I’m not really a “condition guy” but, OMG, that thing was rough. Given how rare the grommet pennants seem to be, maybe some think $600+ wasn’t an overpay…

….for a grommet pennant with no grommets! :p

It was listed with a $500 Buy it Now price but someone bid insteady of buying it outright. They guessed wrong.

perezfan 04-17-2024 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domer05 (Post 2427238)
That graphic has always confused me. Is the raider ... riding a horse?? I get that he has a hook for a hand, and said hook got fouled up on the Raiders logo somehow ... but I always assumed he was being chased by another player/pirate. Now I'm not so sure.

The white felt actually brings the image into focus (even though the image is low res).

Haha.... no horse, and no hook-hand. Just a well-covered receiver reaching up for a pass. Agree it's an unusual logo, but still more imaginative and far superior to the simplistic and "corporate" looking NFL logos of today.

Take the de-evolution of the Rams logo, for example...

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/...045697/photo/1

Fballguy 04-17-2024 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2427397)
Haha.... no horse, and no hook-hand. Just a well-covered receiver reaching up for a pass. Agree it's an unusual logo, but still more imaginative and far superior to the simplistic and "corporate" looking NFL logos of today.

Take the de-evolution of the Rams logo, for example...

https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/...045697/photo/1

Ouch...Don't get me started on that one. I don't think it can get worse than the 2020 rebrand. They had it so right from the early 50s through the 70s. But it's too easy of a money grab to pass up. They know the suckers will re-buy everything with the new logo on it no matter how bad it is.

Now look what you did...You got me started. :D

Regarding the Raiders pennant...It's weird to me that the logo was still in use in 1965 yet that pennant is extremely rare. The Raiders have four "logo" pennants with the AFL trademark (well five if you count the white version Randy shared), more than any other team. They must've realized that logo looked like crap on a pennant and went with the more common Raider head with crossed swords instead...which may be the most common of the Raiders AFL logo pennants and yet sells as if it's very rare.

perezfan 04-21-2024 11:08 PM

Wowser... $11,700 with the BP....

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=177248

UKCardGuy 04-22-2024 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2428458)

I was watching that one. The price was incredible. I think that price was due to the condition - which is pretty stellar. I also think that REA did a good job describing it and attributing it to 1947.

There was one at Mile High last week that was much more reasonably priced....but with more wear.

https://milehighcardco.com/LotDetail...ntoryid=100218

I was surprised that the other Jackie Pennant at REA didn't go higher. https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=177268

Gary G01db3rg

Fballguy 04-22-2024 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKCardGuy (Post 2428480)
I was watching that one. The price was incredible. I think that price was due to the condition - which is pretty stellar. I also think that REA did a good job describing it and attributing it to 1947.

There was one at Mile High last week that was much more reasonably priced....but with more wear.

https://milehighcardco.com/LotDetail...ntoryid=100218

I was surprised that the other Jackie Pennant at REA didn't go higher. https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...?itemid=177268

Gary G01db3rg

I think the one in Mile High would've benefitted from better pictures. The black background didn't so it any favors.

thetahat 04-22-2024 08:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Mine is now available for the bargain basement price of $11,600 …. I’ll even throw in the holder!

But seriously, if this goes again it probably closes around 3K. I’d love to be wrong. Can’t really tell if this was two bidders just bashing each other over the head or not.

Now the JR “2nd Baseman” version? THAT is super duper rare. As is the elusive Luke Easter pennant of the same style and maker (WGN).

jsage 04-22-2024 09:34 AM

Jackie Robinson Pennant

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Mark -
The JR pennant looks like it could be a re-sale of the one I sold a few years ago. As you can see in the photo mine was perfect!
Jerry Sage

perezfan 04-22-2024 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsage (Post 2428539)
Mark -
The JR pennant looks like it could be a re-sale of the one I sold a few years ago. As you can see in the photo mine was perfect!
Jerry Sage

Yes, I think you're right, Jerry. I would bet it's one and the same as yours. The graphics and tassel placement look like a perfect match. And outside of Greg's, how many other NRMT-MT green versions could even exist?

ooo-ribay 04-25-2024 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I paid more for the Oxyclean ($6.99) than I did for the pennant ($5.00). :p

circa 1984-86.

thetahat 05-06-2024 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I’ve been collecting pennant strings and this here is a recent acquisition. Clearly from 1968 as it includes Oakland but neither expansion team. The pennants are a little bigger than the typical 9” ones on strings, these are almost 12”.

What’s interesting here is that this seems to have been an ASCO production. The “string” is the same wide cloth that they used for their spines and the stitching matches their “style”. Pennants are cloth.

But the pennants themselves are, with two exceptions, all Trench designs. This notably includes the Red Sox and Yankees stadium graphics. Only the Tigers and A’s appear to be copies of ASCO pennants. (The A’s full-size is super rare, I think it’s been posted here before.)

ASCO also used Trench’s swinging Uncle Sam on the 1969 trademarked “Old Timers” pennant.

Domer05 05-06-2024 06:22 PM

That is interesting. I agree: looks to be by ASCO; and they simply copied some Trench graphics for certain teams, which they (and others) were prone to do back then.

SAllen2556 05-08-2024 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this, unbelievably, hanging in a restaurant the other day. Just hanging over a booth. I'd love to go back and try to buy it. The waitress said someone just gave it to the owner. Does anyone know what it might be worth? Pretty sure it's from 1935, but I've never seen one like it anywhere. Thanks for any help!

Attachment 620905

Fballguy 05-08-2024 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAllen2556 (Post 2432463)
I saw this, unbelievably, hanging in a restaurant the other day. Just hanging over a booth. I'd love to go back and try to buy it. The waitress said someone just gave it to the owner. Does anyone know what it might be worth? Pretty sure it's from 1935, but I've never seen one like it anywhere. Thanks for any help!

Can I get the name of that restaurant? :)

perezfan 05-08-2024 12:38 PM

Jeez.... Tell the owner to get that thing protected, and moved away from that dusty/filthy air vent. :eek:

I've only seen that pennant one other time in many many years of collecting these things!

thetahat 05-08-2024 12:43 PM

Quote:

Attachment 620905

Yes, 1935, and this could anywhere between $1000-$1800 in my opinion in auction. Mark, what do you think?

Hankphenom 05-08-2024 01:23 PM

Quote:

What about the other pennants there? What were they?

UKCardGuy 05-08-2024 06:18 PM

That's an amazing Tigers pennant. What a find.

perezfan 05-08-2024 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2432586)
Yes, 1935, and this could anywhere between $1000-$1800 in my opinion in auction. Mark, what do you think?

That's a pretty wide range. I would think it falls in there, but significantly closer to the top of that range. Rarity, condition, great design and a championship year... this one has it all. Perhaps $1,500 - $1,800. Higher, if sold at auction and multiple people are gunning for it.

Apologies to anyone here who may have already made a lowball offer to the owner! :rolleyes:

ooo-ribay 05-08-2024 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 2432474)
Can I get the name of that restaurant? :)

Greg’s already googling “nautical theme restaurant detroit.” ;)

SAllen2556 05-09-2024 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info gentlemen. It's actually in a Northern Michigan bar on an undisclosed lake. I shall be back this weekend to attempt to buy the thing. I'll at least hopefully get them to put it somewhere safe and get it in some plastic.

gonefishin 05-09-2024 11:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Good luck obtaining the pennant!

I just acquired a collection of autographed Negro League items, and this pennant was included. I don't know a thing about pennants, but saw a similar one on ebay. Hoping one you experts could provide a little information on the pennant, era, etc. Thanks in advance.

thetahat 05-09-2024 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2432730)
Greg’s already googling “nautical theme restaurant detroit.” ;)

If it was a similarly desirable Giants pennant, you’d already be IN Detroit … 😄

ooo-ribay 05-09-2024 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2432898)
If it was a similarly desirable Giants pennant, you’d already be IN Detroit … 😄

Nah, I’m cheap. Ask bocca. :p

bocca001 05-09-2024 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rob- I told you that other people said you were cheap. I never said it. What I really thing is.... : )

Here is a pennant that just arrived for me today. It's 3/4 size. Not the fanciest thing, but the only other time I have seen it for sale was from the estate of an original Oiler player. It's likely from their very early years. That copy also has the same spine/tassel system (a single excessively long spine that extends well beyond the pennant). I suppose they could have both come from a string, but it may have just been a cheap and economical way to have something tassel like. It's also just a single line of stitching.

I also can't help but notice that the ping pong table I use for pictures (it is good at not giving much reflection in photos) is starting to get really beat up from my teens playing. I may need to find a new picture taking location.

ooo-ribay 05-10-2024 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2432996)

I also can't help but notice that the ping pong table I use for pictures (it is good at not giving much reflection in photos) is starting to get really beat up from my teens playing. I may need to find a new picture taking location.

It beats a white table or a strap chair!

Domer05 05-10-2024 07:07 PM

NFL Vertical pennant/burgee series

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Marc for making this beauty available to me:)

Always loved the look of these vertical pennant/burgees by Trench, ca. 1967. Such an interesting look. I only wish they made them in a full size--this one's not even a foot long!

bocca001 05-10-2024 08:35 PM

Sounds like a good pennant factory project. What would a full size look like?

Domer05 05-12-2024 11:58 AM

ASCO vertical pennant/burgees

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2433195)
Sounds like a good pennant factory project. What would a full size look like?

Challenge accepted. I've actually been wanting to make a similar looking design, based not on this Trench/NFL series; but, upon a series of vertical pennant/burgees manufactured by ASCO during the mid-1960s.

Unlike the Trench ones, ASCO's were full-size. They also featured individual portraits of select players--all of whom were Minnesota Twins. See below.

I was thinking maybe a '65 Sandy Koufax CY Young Winner version might look pretty sweet?

What do you think Rick?

bocca001 05-12-2024 12:49 PM

I'm not sure I've ever seen the ASCO full size. I do like those better, especially with the fish tail cut.

If you make Koufax for the Cy Young, you also need to make Mays for the MVP.

ooo-ribay 05-12-2024 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2433489)
I'm not sure I've ever seen the ASCO full size. I do like those better, especially with the fish tail cut.

If you make Koufax for the Cy Young, you also need to make Mays for the MVP.

Good point, bocca! And, I’m OK with Koufax but no current d**gers!

rlevy 05-12-2024 10:26 PM

Two thumbs up from me Kyle. Please make an extra, I'm already creating a spot for it:D

Rick

ooo-ribay 05-14-2024 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin (Post 2432880)
Good luck obtaining the pennant!

I just acquired a collection of autographed Negro League items, and this pennant was included. I don't know a thing about pennants, but saw a similar one on ebay. Hoping one you experts could provide a little information on the pennant, era, etc. Thanks in advance.

Thought I’d bump this. I can’t help (although the design is obviously familiar) but know some of you guys can.

Fballguy 05-14-2024 08:12 AM

Recent sales at Clean Sweep range from $400-$800. The problem with these negro league pennants for me is the prevalence of pretty decent reproductions which sell in the $20-$30 range. I'm sure plenty of people have bought a repro thinking they're legit. The one in question is obviously legit.

effe 05-16-2024 12:27 PM

Just picked this one up. Not that old but my quick search didn't turn up another one. Likely dates to 1977 as it came with this membership card.

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=37274

https://www.net54baseball.com/pictur...ictureid=37273

ooo-ribay 05-17-2024 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked this up for a whooping $27. I didn't even know they made this style in full size. Bocca surmises these were a later issue, maybe for the 1951 or '54 NL pennants? Anyway, the color is great. For whatever reason, my cameras don't like to photograph orange.

perezfan 05-17-2024 03:47 PM

Great pickup Rob… 1951 I believe. Love the orange felt.

ooo-ribay 05-17-2024 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2435186)
Great pickup Rob… 1951 I believe. Love the orange felt.

Thanks. It looks better in person. I think those light spots are a camera issue or sun spots.

perezfan 05-17-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2435192)
Thanks. It looks better in person. I think those light spots are a camera issue or sun spots.

Or….

Unless the pennant lies perfectly flat, the light will illuminate the undulations differently. It kind of depends upon the angle at which the light is hitting the felt.

thetahat 05-17-2024 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I concur on 1951. Full-size 1950 Phillies here:

ooo-ribay 05-18-2024 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 2435225)
I concur on 1951. Full-size 1950 Phillies here:

Good to know. Thanks to the experts!