Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Subtle Let-Down (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245530)

abothebear 09-29-2017 06:14 PM

Subtle Let-Down

I received a purchase in the mail and experienced a familiar subtle let-down upon opening it. I took a moment to reflect on what this disappointment may stem from and I realized it was because you spend a lot of time looking at listing, examining the front and the backs of items trying to gauge its value... and your mind gets accustomed to seeing two things... sometimes the front and back scans are even shown in the same photo/file... so, when you receive your purchase in the mail and open it up, somewhere in your mind you have an expectation of two things, and you open it up only to find one... and there is the irrational pang of disappointment.

Does that happen to anyone else? Or is it just me?

irv 09-29-2017 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abothebear (Post 1705783)
I received a purchase in the mail and experienced a familiar subtle let-down upon opening it. I took a moment to reflect on what this disappointment may stem from and I realized it was because you spend a lot of time looking at listing, examining the front and the backs of items trying to gauge its value... and your mind gets accustomed to seeing two things... sometimes the front and back scans are even shown in the same photo/file... so, when you receive your purchase in the mail and open it up, somewhere in your mind you have an expectation of two things, and you open it up only to find one... and there is the irrational pang of disappointment.

It has happened to me and I assume, at some point, it has happened to almost everyone on here.

OsFan 09-29-2017 08:42 PM

I think the term you are referring to is anti-climactic?

clydepepper 09-29-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

YES.

...and apparently, Dale

-

Leon 09-30-2017 07:38 AM

Quote:

That usually happens when I realize I screwed up (after looking at the card again) and missed an important fact, like I already have it. :eek:

ValKehl 09-30-2017 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1705907)
That usually happens when I realize I screwed up (after looking at the card again) and missed an important fact, like I already have it. :eek:

Been there, done that! :(

Jcfowler6 09-30-2017 02:11 PM

At least a dozen times I’ve felt the same thing. It usually passes quickly as I move on to picking something else up quickly in those cases to make up for the odd disappointment. It seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcard1 09-30-2017 03:58 PM

Could be worse. Could have been a mail order bride.