Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   E90-1, The Kraken (AKA The E-Monster) - post your collection progress (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247839)

brianp-beme 11-27-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve D (Post 1724005)
Please raise me to 93.

Also, you should remove Ty Cobb from the 7 point section, since you moved him to the 5 point section.

Steve

Thanks Steve for pointing out Cobb...looks like he was trying to swipe a few extra bases. Your Kraken # has also been updated.

Brian

brianp-beme 11-27-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 1724085)
Way back when, I remember the Mike Mitchell card was considered the key to the set. Lew Lipset even referred to it as the T206 Honus Wagner of the caramel cards. There doesn't seem to be so much interest in it these days, or at least that is my impression. Maybe that is because so few come to market. Any Mitchell stories?

I think time has proven that the Mitchell card is just not as scarce as it at one time seemed. The grading company #'s certainly seem to indicate it is not as tough as some other cards, but I think that is partially because a bigger percentage of Mitchell cards are graded, because of its reputation and the higher dollar amount the card brings when sold. That is why I believe it is justified to have him at the higher 7 point level...people are still willing to pay the $ for him, but just not as much as previously. If not for the reputation, I think I would have placed it at the 5 or 4 point level.

Brian

pkaufman 11-27-2017 12:07 PM

The Mitchell card is tough but available in lower grade. I would say that above a VG 3 grade, it gets very tough.

tedzan 11-27-2017 01:03 PM

E90-1 set

Hi Brianp

Thanks for including me on your list with "honorary mention". That's fine, since I don't have the set anymore.

I do not recall if I had Miller sunset in this set. Back in those days (circa 1980's-1990's), the primary concern
was getting guys like Bemis, Clarke (Pitts), Donlin, Duffy, Graham, Karger, Keeler, Lobert, McLean, M.Mitchell,
Shean, Speaker, B.Sweeney, Stahl, Upp, Walsh, etc.

I'll provide you the numbers on my current set later today (or tomorrow).

TED Z

T206 Reference

Leon 11-29-2017 01:16 PM

You can put me down at 4.....but highest graded should get at least another half point!!

brianp-beme 11-30-2017 01:08 AM

Feel free to post scans of your whole E90-1 collection, and I can break out the abacus and figure out your E-Monster number.

Brian

brianp-beme 11-30-2017 11:39 AM

The Kraken Abacus in Action

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an example of the Kraken Abacus in action. Please view the below scans.

Note that in the top row Cobb is worth 5 E-Monster points, while the Graham and Plank are worth 4 points each. Each card in the second row (Karger, Shean and Joss throwing) are worth 3 points each. The bottom row of Schlitzer, Hartzell and Donovan are worth 1 point. A few quick flips of the wrist on the Kraken Abacus would result in assigning this collection of 9 E90-1 cards 25 E-Monster points. Please note that condition is not relevant, nor are cards missing large portions downgraded (For example Cobb is still worth 5 points despite the fact that in actual cardboard material he would likely be only equivalent to 4 points, and the Karger would still be 3 points instead of 2.25 points).

The next Kraken Abacus calculation can be yours.

Brian

frankbmd 11-30-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1725163)
Here is an example of the Kraken Abacus in action. Please view the below scans.

Note that in the top row Cobb is worth 5 E-Monster points, while the Graham and Plank are worth 4 points each. Each card in the second row (Karger, Shean and Joss throwing) are worth 3 points each. The bottom row of Schlitzer, Hartzell and Donovan are worth 1 point. A few quick flips of the wrist on the Kraken Abacus would result in assigning this collection of 9 E90-1 cards 25 E-Monster points. Please note that condition is not relevant, nor are cards missing large portions downgraded (For example Cobb is still worth 5 points despite the fact that in actual cardboard material he would likely be only equivalent to 4 points, and the Karger would still be 3 points instead of 2.25 points).

The next Kraken Abacus calculation can be yours.

Brian

Brian,

You may consider the condition of the Cobb irrelevant, but I have never cared for an abdominal gunshot wound victim, who would agree with you.;)

tonyo 11-30-2017 12:15 PM

looks like I'm at 111 (not likely to change :) )

edhans 11-30-2017 01:24 PM

Re: E90-1, The Kraken (AKA The E-Monster) - post your collection progress

Please revise me to 187. Picked up four points without adding a card. :)