Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Who's the earliest HOF you met in person? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=200357)

commishbob 09-23-2018 08:05 PM

Early 60s...Yogi Berra at his bowling alley in Clifton, NJ. It was a promotional event of some sort and my father took me. He signed Yoo Hoo promo cards. I wish I knew where mine was.

Slightly OT:

In football, I was up-close-and-personal with a bunch of the Baltimore Colts during training camp a few times. Unitas, Berry, John Mackey..but I can't say I really 'met' any of them.

My only real extended encounter with a Hall of Famer was with one of my favorites.... Here is the abridged version of my 'brush with (somewhat drunken) greatness' in the person of Kenny Stabler. My wife and I attended Nolan Ryan's Houston Astros' debut game in 1980. Ryan went six and walked that many but homered and the game lasted 17 innings with the Dodgers winning, 6-5. We left early as we were going to Gilley's Club in Pasadena east of Houston for a show.

We were sitting at one of those 'picnic-style' tables near the front waiting for the show to start. Then a guy came up and asked us if we'd mind sharing our table with Kenny Stabler (he was the Oilers qb back then) and his group. Hell, why not?!?! And so he sat down with a couple of other people and introduced himself and said thanks for letting them sit there.

Stabler bought a couple of rounds of beer as I recall and had a guy fending off autograph requests while the live show was going on. He signed during the break and he signed an Astros cap my wife was wearing and a Gilley's bumper sticker I dug up. We felt like big shots. LOL

GasHouseGang 09-23-2018 08:27 PM

I've met Stan Musial, Warren Spahn, Duke Snider, and Johnny Mize that were all from around the same time frame. Which one is earliest? Probably Musial is the earliest inductee in that group I would guess.

Mark 09-23-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1814966)
I've met Stan Musial, Warren Spahn, Duke Snider, and Johnny Mize that were all from around the same time frame. Which one is earliest? Probably Musial is the earliest inductee in that group I would guess.

Big Johnny Mize broke in '36, 5 years before Musial.

VintageBen 09-23-2018 09:43 PM

Brooks Robinson

dabigyankeeman 09-24-2018 04:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
At card shows over a period of a couple of years a long time ago I met the big 3 centerfielders of my youth in NY, Mantle-Mays-Snider. I guess the Duke came up first so he would be the oldest, but Mickey was my favorite. It was great meeting them though and getting their autograph, and when you meet guys like this at a card show just saying one sentance to them and having them respond is something you remember your whole life. I got them to sign cards for me and I built this display for them to go along with the song about them, Talking Baseball, Willie, Mickey, and the Duke.

BuzzD 09-24-2018 06:12 AM

Bill Dickey

I met Bill Dickey (1954) at a card show in the early 80's and got a ball signed. He was a gentleman

GasHouseGang 09-24-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark (Post 1814975)
Big Johnny Mize broke in '36, 5 years before Musial.

That's true, but I said inductee. Musial was inducted before Mize.

riggs336 09-24-2018 03:29 PM

Dizzy Dean in an elevator of the Chase Park Plaza Hotel in St. Louis on 8/31/64. He was doing the telecast. Me: "Who's gonna win today, Diz?" Him: " I gotta go with that big ol' boy Drysdale. " End of meeting.

pclpads 09-24-2018 09:20 PM

Mine was Lefty Gomez. It was 1958. I was in LL. He came to a sporting goods store in Lemon Grove, Ca., east of San Diego, on a product promo appearance. Lefty then was a rep for Wilson Sporting Goods. He signed a ball for me which is gone. At the time, no idea who he was, other than just an old BB player. What I do recall is unlike now, there were only about 10 kids present.

Yoda 09-25-2018 10:02 AM

Not baseball, but I had the rare and exciting experience back in the 1950's, through a business associate of my father's, to visit the NY Giants (football) locker room after they defeated the 49'ers at the old Polo Grounds. Met and gathered autographs from the likes of Charlie Connerly, Kyle Rote, Frank Gifford and Sam Huff. What is forever seared in my memory, though, was the image of Rosie Greer coming out of the shower and parading naked through the locker room, which made quite an impression on this 10 year old.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-25-2018 11:00 AM

I don't really have much of a collection anymore, as a dealer it just doesn't make much sense to me. I do, however, have one piece I would never sell. I started doing shows at 14 years old in the mid 80's. The Mall and Hotel circuit in North Eastern PA, & Jersey. At one Mall show Phil Rizzuto was the guest. I didn't have much vintage at that point and what little Rizzuto stuff I had sold out in short order. I wanted to get an autograph though so on a piece of poster board I quickly drew a picture of Rizzuto and the Yankee logo. When he signed it he was curious as to where it came from and I had to tell him that I had just quickly drawn it in Sharpie.

"Holy Cow, that's great" which was about the coolest thing he could've said.

So for years it sat in a closet and then I moved out and kind of forgot about it. 2 years ago at Christmas my parents had gotten it professionally framed and it was under the tree. Had almost forgotten all about it. It had survived through a couple of moves and everything else. One of my prized possessions now, and not a half-bad drawing either!

ValKehl 09-25-2018 10:51 PM

Scott, how about showing us a pic of it?

qed2190 09-25-2018 10:58 PM

Carl hubbell.

Tony2311 09-26-2018 03:39 PM

Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio late 80's. Back in the day complaining on paying $15-$20 for an auto thinking it takes literally 10 seconds to sign your name on a ball - I wish I bought three dozen of each player. :)

Tony2311 09-26-2018 03:47 PM

In the late 60's Gene Hickerson was signing for a promotion at Higbee's Department Store outside of Cleveland. No one was in line and he was signing anything however giving away these 5x7 autographed photos. After going in line once, my brother and I went around the corner and changed coats, hats, etc. - to present a "different look" for Mr. Hickerson to get multiple photos signed for friends. He must of thought we were idiots - looking back, should have asked him I have several friends who could not attend tonight would you mind signing 4-5 other photos? No eBay, no forgeries, back in the day - probably would not have been an issue asking for multiples.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-26-2018 06:15 PM

Maybe I'll bring it to Chantilly! Will try and get a pic too though.

frankbmd 09-26-2018 06:24 PM

Posted when this was a new thread. Without reading the whole thread, has anyone topped Casey Stengel yet? :D

Fred 09-26-2018 06:56 PM

The Meal Ticket

Keith H. Thompson 09-26-2018 07:01 PM

Early HOF Inductees Met in Person

Rube Marquard, Harry Hooper, Red Ruffing come to mind at the 1974 HOF induction ceremonies.

Keith H Thompson

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-10-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1815697)
Maybe I'll bring it to Chantilly! Will try and get a pic too though.

Scooter will be at Chantilly for your viewing enjoyment!

riggs336 10-10-2018 09:12 PM

Can't remember if it was 1955 or 1956, but Ty Cobb was speaking at a banquet in Abilene, TX. My dad took me up to meet him afterwards. I got his autograph but it must have been thrown out since I've never been able to find it.

frankbmd 10-10-2018 09:29 PM

Companion Thread

Who’s the earliest HOFer you met in prison?

eliotdeutsch 10-10-2018 09:38 PM

1993 Spring Training in St Petersburg FL.

Cardinals had Ozzie Smith at SS and Joe Torre manager.
Orioles were at the same spot and met Ripken as well.

There was an old timers game with Mize, Feller and Palmer too.

Went to a signing with Roberto Alomar in early 90s and saw Paul Molitor in Toranto in early 90s.

CurtisFlood 10-10-2018 10:10 PM

Whitey Ford, Bob Feller, Fergie Jenkins, Gaylord Perry, Phil Niekro.

Guess Feller is the earliest of this group followed by Ford.

robw1959 10-10-2018 10:19 PM

Harry Hooper! I met him at his Cooperstown induction (1973) and even got him to sign a baseball.

Laxcat 10-11-2018 05:42 AM

I got to sit on Hank Aaron’s lap when I was 4 in 1985. If we are talking born the earliest, Al Barlick.

Mark 10-11-2018 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1818862)
Who’s the earliest HOFer you met in prison?

Orlando Cepeda.

Laxcat 10-11-2018 07:58 AM

My favorite HOFer I ever met was Monte Irvin. I got to slide for him at a show. One of the nicest people I ever have had the pleasure of meeting. 14 year old me got visibly upset when he told stories about traveling with in the South. He told me “don’t worry son, I promise I’m not treated like that anymore”

bjerome 04-14-2020 07:59 PM

Bob Feller on April 24, 2010 at his Museum. I bought a membership just to meet him after viewing his Studio 42 Interview with Bob Costas. I grew up in North Dakota and just never traveled prior to 2005, so this was a big deal. Also met Earl Weaver that same day.

Santo10Fan 04-14-2020 09:34 PM

Does John Goodman in character as Babe Ruth count?

Kidnapped18 04-14-2020 10:29 PM

Willie McCovey in the mid 80s
He and my Dad were playing golf in Birmingham and my Dad allowed me to tag along!

charlietheexterminator 04-14-2020 11:42 PM

Mickey Mantle in 1967/68, one of those years. He was signing baseballs outside the old Yankee Stadium, it was ball day.

BuzzD 04-15-2020 05:05 AM

Bill Dickey 1954

Bill Dickey and Lefty Gomez did a show together, maybe late 80s? Got a ball from both. Very neat

jakebeckleyoldeagleeye 04-15-2020 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottglevy (Post 1370602)
For me it was Eddie Mathews. He was signing cards at a local card show when I was around 10...but I didn't have any of his cards and also didn't have the money for the autograph.

I simply waived as I saw Eddie leaving. At which point he came over, shook my hand and asked me what I was holding (it was the flyer for the show). He took out a blue sharpie, signed his name, shook my hand again and told me to enjoy the show :)

Scott

I meant Mr. Mathews at a card show in St. Louis and he treated me like an old buddy. What a guy!

skil55voy 04-15-2020 01:39 PM

Hof

Jim Bunning. Before he was in the Hall of Fame at a card show in Toledo, Ohio. I had my 2 young daughters with me. I was standing in line waiting for him to sign and I told him he pitched in the first came I ever went to at Tiger Stadium. After he signed my ball, he asked me to stay and we talked about the game. He was great.

Also, Bert Blyleven before he was in the hall. I had him sign a Sporting News cover with and Jeff Reardon on it. He asked me if I wanted him to sign Jeff's name for him. Hilarious!

quinnsryche 04-15-2020 05:04 PM

Hank Aaron 1975 getting on the Brewers team bus for a game vs the White Sox. We used to go to the visiting team's hotel for autographs. Once gave Lou Piniella a ride to Comiskey Park when he missed the bus. The next day he gave me a game used bat. Pretty cool for a nine year old at the time.
Also - Feller, Appling and Lopez in the mid 70's too.

Tabe 04-15-2020 05:24 PM

First one I ever met was Lou Brock at a Sears store in Pontiac, MI around 1977 when he was hawking the Brockabrella. Got his autograph.

First guy elected to the Hall I ever met was Ernie Banks. Met him at a card show in Pontiac around 1984, maybe 1985. Got his autograph on an SSPC Hall of Fame card.

First one I ever met who was in the Hall when I met them was Al Kaline. Met him when he was signing autographs at a bank in 1980.

The only other HOFer I've ever met was Wayne Gretzky, much later.

lumberjack 04-15-2020 07:48 PM

oldest HOFer

In the mid to late 1970s I thought I was going to be the next Larry Ritter and there were a few dead ball era guys in Michigan and Ohio who gave me some interview time.

Waite Hoyt was very gracious. He would have been 80 years old. I guess he figured anyone who would spend ten hours on the road (round trip) was serious about meeting him. Waite Hoyt wasn't shy about sharing his opinions regarding baseball, by the way.

Ray Fisher isn't in the Hall, but he was the oldest man I met, having been born in 1887. The guy played for Frank Chance and Hal Chase. Think about that.

The one I kick myself about was Frank Bowerman's son. Bowerman was one of the last of the old Orioles and had been dead for 25 or 30 years, but his son was very much alive and for some reason, I had this opportunity to talk to him and I simply dropped the ball. UGH.
lumberjack

Case12 04-16-2020 09:35 AM

Earliest inductee: Bob Feller at a show

Next earliest inductee: Stan Musial in the men's bathroom standing next to him at a urinal. True story...

Den*nis O*Brien 04-16-2020 12:17 PM

Bronko And Robert

1 Attachment(s)
In 1962 I met Bronko at his International Falls Standard Oil service station. And to reiterate a previous poster ....those hands were unforgettable. He signed the Cubs book I was reading. Bob Feller was at this UP card show signing items. He was very conversational and friendly. I was getting a ball signed for a friend whose card shop had been burglarized 2 weeks previously and he took great interest in the story and details then proceeded to "Personalize" the ball. But was very sympathetic and dismayed that a sports card shop could be violated

CurtisFlood 04-16-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Hal (Post 1370645)
Back in the early '90's the Congressman who represents the Cooperstown area had a fundraiser every year during induction weekend and he would bring in several HOFers to meet and sign autographs. The best person to interact with was Harmon Killibrew but the oldest was Bob Feller. The man's grip even in his later years was freaking amazing and he was always cordial. Not a HOFer but a very cool person who would go was Buck O'Neil. The worst was Gaylord Perry.

I found Gaylord Perry to be most gracious. Same with Phil NIekro and Fergie Jenkins. Whitey Ford and Bob Feller as well. Mr. Feller did plug his museum non stop though!

SMPEP 04-16-2020 05:46 PM

When I read the title to this thread quickly, I thought it said "ugliest" and I was like ...

Wow! Two pages on who the ugliest HOFer is! Can't believe the thread got that many responses!

Guess I need to improve my reading comprehension skills,
Patrick