Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   After the Slab.... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=170389)

RedlegsFan 06-10-2013 01:15 PM

After the Slab....

Does anyone have any knowledge, experience, or theories, on prewar or 50s cards getting worse condition "after" being slabbed?

I was thinking perhaps slight moisture sealed in the holder may cause mold, and obviously prolonged direct sunlight is unhealthy. Im curious if this is ever an issue? Thanks!

Wes...
Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

D. Bergin 06-10-2013 01:34 PM

It most definitely must be an issue on occasion. I know I don't really handle many graded cards, but I've got a few PSA slabbed OPC cards that are graded 8 or so, that should be about 2 or 3's, because it looks like moisture got in and warped the cards pretty badly.

Unfortunately when I bought them from a prominent slab dealer in Ebay, when I was going through a certain collecting phase, this was not mentioned in the listings. It was cheap stuff and not worth sending back, but disheartening just the same.

auggiedoggy 06-10-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedlegsFan (Post 1144407)
Does anyone have any knowledge, experience, or theories, on prewar or 50s cards getting worse condition "after" being slabbed?

I was thinking perhaps slight moisture sealed in the holder may cause mold, and obviously prolonged direct sunlight is unhealthy. Im curious if this is ever an issue? Thanks!

Wes...

I have not seen this happen. Certainly not with my slabbed cards. I store my cards in plastic storage boxes. I keep these boxes in a closet in one of our upstairs rooms. The basement in our place is cool and dampish so I wouldn't recommend storing them there. These slabs are airtight so the only way I could see moisture getting in is if the holder was mishandled, dropped, etc., and a crack developed along an edge or the moisture somehow got in before the holder was sealed by the TPG company.

kmac32 06-10-2013 02:22 PM

Humidity and mold not an issue if you have your cards in the desert.

RedlegsFan 06-12-2013 01:09 AM

Thanks guys:D

tiger8mush 06-12-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedlegsFan (Post 1144407)

I've seen graded cards get dinged edges from hitting their edges on the inserts of the slab. In my opinion its most problematic with SGC (because the insert doesn't always fit the card correctly and allows movement of the card inside so the edges hit against the insert and cause damage), less with PSA, and almost non-existent with Beckett because of the internal plastic sleeve is very protective.