Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   This is the 82nd anniversary of Johnny Vander Meer's VanderMeeracle! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=284765)

Scott Garner 06-15-2020 12:32 PM

This is the 82nd anniversary of Johnny Vander Meer's VanderMeeracle!

5 Attachment(s)
On June 15th, 1938 Cincinnati Reds pitcher Johnny Vander Meer set one of MLB's most unassailable records by pitching his second consecutive no-hitter at historic Ebbets Field.

The story is well documented, but June 15th was also the first night game at Ebbets and all sorts of fanfare. Before the game, Vandy was presented a special engraved wristwatch by the mayor of his hometown of Midland Park, NJ in front of 500 locals. Drum and Bugle Corps played as they paraded around the infield. 1936 US Olympics star Jesse Owens had a 100 yard race plus a 10-yard handicap with Reds' Ernie Coy and Lee Gamble. Speedster Ernie Coy actually beat Owens by a yard in the contest.

The lights themselves initially malfunctioned, but finally worked to huge oohs and ahhs, but not before delaying the game for well over an hour and a half.

Babe Ruth was on hand that night as he was about to join the Brooklyn Dodgers as a coach. He stopped by the Reds dugout before the game to congratulate Vander Meer for his no-hitter 4 days earlier on June 11th in Cincinnati.
After the game, Ruth came by the Reds clubhouse again to give Vandy another round of congratulations for the 2nd consecutive no-hitter saying "Nice job, Kid".
Ruth and Vandy were both great outdoor sportsmen, and that evening cemented a great friendship that endured for many years.
Babe and Vandy hunted and fished every year, mostly in NY until the Babe's death.
One of Babe Ruth's interesting quirks was that he never called anyone by their correct given name. Vandy was always "Lefty" or "Left Hander"...

Here's a toast to the VanderMeeracle!

roarfrom34 06-15-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1990630)
On June 15th, 1938 Cincinnati Reds pitcher Johnny Vander Meer set one of MLB's most unassailable records by pitching his second consecutive no-hitter at historic Ebbets Field.

The story is well documented, but June 15th was also the first night game at Ebbets and all sorts of fanfare. Before the game, Vandy was presented a special engraved wristwatch by the mayor of his hometown of Midland Park, NJ in front of 500 locals. Drum and Bugle Corps played as they paraded around the infield. 1936 US Olympics star Jesse Owens had a 100 yard race plus a 10-yard handicap with Reds' Ernie Coy and Lee Gamble. Speedster Ernie Coy actually beat Owens by a yard in the contest.

The lights themselves initially malfunctioned, but finally worked to huge oohs and ahhs, but not before delaying the game for well over an hour and a half.

Babe Ruth was on hand that night as he was about to join the Brooklyn Dodgers as a coach. He stopped by the Reds dugout before the game to congratulate Vander Meer for his no-hitter 4 days earlier on June 11th in Cincinnati.
After the game, Ruth came by the Reds clubhouse again to give Vandy another round of congratulations for the 2nd consecutive no-hitter saying "Nice job, Kid". Ruth and Vandy were both great sportsman and that evening cemented a great friendship that endured for many years. Babe and Vandy hunted every year until the Babe's death.

Here's a toast to the VanderMeeracle!

Very nice Scott!

doug.goodman 06-15-2020 06:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have one of the same pictures...

todeen 06-15-2020 08:23 PM

I've never seen that Vander Meer and Ruth photo. That's awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Chris Counts 06-16-2020 08:15 AM

There's a board member here, Marty Kane, who was actually born in Brooklyn the night of the second no-hitter. Happy birthday Marty!

bigfanNY 06-16-2020 02:31 PM

My wifes Family is from the Netherlands and they settled in Midland park after arriving at Ellis Island in the early 20's. There they found a comunity of fellow Dutch like the Vandemeer's. And in 1938 the entire town turned out to celebrate Vandy he was given every award the town could dream up.And from all accounts was a gracious Gentelman who was always there to help the town and anyone in it in any way he could. To this day Midland park's favorite son.

Scott Garner 06-16-2020 06:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1990960)
My wifes Family is from the Netherlands and they settled in Midland park after arriving at Ellis Island in the early 20's. There they found a comunity of fellow Dutch like the Vandemeer's. And in 1938 the entire town turned out to celebrate Vandy he was given every award the town could dream up.And from all accounts was a gracious Gentelman who was always there to help the town and anyone in it in any way he could. To this day Midland park's favorite son.

Jonathan,
Thanks for sharing that info.
Here are a few pieces of memorabilia from Midland Park's Johnny Vander Meer Day on September 21, 1938:

An original program from Johnny Vander Meer Day

A Johnny Vander Meer medal that I believe was given to special guests at his Testimonial Dinner in conjunction with JVDM Day.

The last photo features Vandy as the Guest of Honor at the Testimonial Dinner.
The Testimonial Dinner was held at Swiss Chalet in nearby Patterson, NJ.

Many thanks to net54's Chris Gamble for allowing me to add these to my Vandy collection several years ago.

sayhey24 06-17-2020 08:20 AM

Those items are absolutely awesome Scott! Your laser focus on Vandeer Meer and no-hitter pitchers makes for what has to be one of the coolest collections in the country.

And I assume you will be picking this up shortly :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Simon-van-d...oAAOxy63FSq38z

Greg

GoCubsGo32 06-17-2020 08:22 AM

Thanks for sharing that Scott. I didn't know that story about Babe...interesting stuff! Learn something new everyday.

Doug - Great autograph photo!

Scott Garner 06-18-2020 05:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! I'm glad you liked the post.
Here is a letter response from Vandy with some content related to meeting Babe Ruth.
Until the day he died, Vandy had a larger version of the picture of him and Babe framed and on his wall at his house in Tampa.
He apparently valued their friendship tremendously...

jerseygary 06-18-2020 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a nice size Huskies ad I have of Vandy after he pitched his two no-hitters. Wish the corner wasn't torn, but it's from a 1938 newspaper

Attachment 405525

doug.goodman 06-18-2020 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And after you have your Huskies for breakfast, you can relax with a smoke...