Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Graded card advice - 56 Williams (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=272565)

IgnatiusJReilly 08-19-2019 07:32 PM

Graded card advice - 56 Williams

Hi all. I’m looking for some quick advice. I just bought a psa graded 1956 Topps Ted Williams and the card in the hand doesn’t look as nice as the pic on eBay. I paid a premium for eye appeal on this card and now that I have it I’m not sold. What should I do? I’m inclined to take the hit and sell it myself at a discount with better scans so I’m being more honest. I don’t think I have recourse with eBay, but I wanted to get your collective advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarmee 08-19-2019 07:44 PM

What is the seller's stated return policy?

IgnatiusJReilly 08-19-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1909860)
What is the seller's stated return policy?

“No returns on third party graded cards.”

I think the difference between the pic and a quality scan is significant. My error I guess.

IgnatiusJReilly 08-19-2019 07:54 PM

Here’s the pic from eBay

https://farm66.staticflickr.com/6553...36f32c2e_z.jpg

Here’s my scan

https://farm66.staticflickr.com/6553...2cbd53fe_z.jpg

I don’t think his pic captured the print line that well or the purple print marks on the right border. Perhaps I’m being hyperbolic, so it would be good to get some other opinions.

Steve D 08-19-2019 08:00 PM

I agree with you, and would definitely send it back.

Ebay allows you to send it back, regardless of the seller stating differently.

I would argue that this qualifies as a SNAD (significantly not as described), as it appears the seller doctored the photo to remove indications of the print line and lighten the ink dots in the right border. He also makes no mention of them in the description.

Steve

swarmee 08-19-2019 08:16 PM

Looks like his neck is going into a clothesline in the batting image. Image definitely oversaturated. Could be scanner settings, could be unintentional, or could be intentional. But yes, I'd send it back.

JollyElm 08-19-2019 08:21 PM

There is no way, none, that the results of the seller's scan are unintentional. It takes 5 seconds in photoshop to imitate what he did. Send it back.

IgnatiusJReilly 08-19-2019 08:25 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. This is one reason these boards are so valuable.

I have initiated a return. Let’s see how it plays out.

bobbyw8469 08-19-2019 08:26 PM

That doesn't even look like the same card. The purple marks are missing as well as the print line going across the front. He got a premium price based on a premium scan. Obviously, in hand, you see the card is FAR from being a premium card, and should probably not even get VCP average. I would be disappointed too.

IgnatiusJReilly 08-19-2019 08:35 PM

He won’t accept the return because it’s against his policy. I will wait the required few days and ask eBay to intervene.

I was nervous because of the old label, but there’s definitely some shady stuff in the original scans.

bobbyw8469 08-19-2019 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly (Post 1909887)
He won’t accept the return because it’s against his policy. I will wait the required few days and ask eBay to intervene.

I was nervous because of the old label, but there’s definitely some shady stuff in the original scans.

Agreed. He hid some serious defects to make the card appear better than it is. No way in hell should that card have gotten a premium.

daves_resale_shop 08-19-2019 09:12 PM

Ted

Geez,

That definitely appears to be some creative photo manipulation to me. Really surprised the seller wont make good on it.

IgnatiusJReilly 08-19-2019 10:45 PM

The seller is dug in. He claims these issues were obvious in his pic. So ridiculous. The folks on BO think he also manipulated the corners to sharpen them. This kind of crap drives me nuts.

His response: “Both of the items you describe as not as described can both be seen in the photo I listed of the front of the card. There is nothing for me to describe, they are both visible in the photo. I can see them and I'm sure you can to.”

Good work on the grammar to [emoji57].

hammer 08-20-2019 09:54 AM

Go the paypal way and tell them not as advertised.

jchcollins 08-20-2019 12:22 PM

While I empathize with your situation and hope you can come up with a mutually beneficial solution - I will play devil's advocate for a moment:

Yes, the card in the first scan looks much better than the photo you took, but I also think it is possible this was someone using an iPhone's "enhance" feature on the photo to make the color pop. That may be dishonest, or it may be a mistake, hard to say. In some respects though I cannot blame the seller for being dug in. They represented it as a 6, and it is a 6.

Don't get me wrong I would be ticked too, and it clearly looks like that print line issue at the level above Ted's brow was doctored or something. I'm not sure if just an auto-enhance of a photo can do that or not - but that may be your leg to stand on. I do think you are going to be lucky if eBay sides with you. Most graded cards are what they are, and unless the slab is damaged or something - I can see them buying the argument that a PSA 6 is a PSA 6. This is why for high dollar items especially, you need to find sellers that have decent return policies. Hopefully if it does not go your way, you can recoup most of your money in a sale. Don't use that first scan again though...:-(

jb67 08-21-2019 08:45 PM

The Ebay seller should lose this case is you stated item not as described. I would upload the pictures to Ebay to help present your case. Clearly the picture on Ebay is different than your pictures. Good luck.

IgnatiusJReilly 08-25-2019 11:28 AM

Update: eBay adjudicated and found in my favor. Thanks for the advice everyone.

pokerplyr80 08-25-2019 11:44 AM

Congrats on the positive outcome. I don't understand why ebay sellers put up such a fight in these situations. I get not wanting to deal with the hassle of a return but I would think it would be worse to have a case decided against you on record and ebay almost always sides with the buyer. Just take the return and move on.

vintagebaseballcardguy 08-25-2019 12:13 PM

Glad it worked out for you as it should have.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Steve D 08-25-2019 06:25 PM

I'm glad to read that!

Steve

Gr8Beldini 08-25-2019 08:38 PM

Seller even made the corners sharper in the new and improved scan.

jb67 08-25-2019 09:04 PM

Good to hear they ruled in your favor.

jchcollins 08-26-2019 08:01 AM

Glad to hear. Honestly I’m pleasantly surprised...I figured that eBay would say a 6 is a 6.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk