Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1939 Play Ball Complete Set Group Break ~ SOLD OUT (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=214600)

jburl 11-27-2015 09:06 AM

1939 Play Ball Complete Set Group Break ~ SOLD OUT

I am happy to offer a '39 Play Ball Complete Set group break for $34.99 per slot. For today, slot purchases will be limited to 1 per person. Tomorrow, you can purchase as many slots as you desire. Shipping is $3. Overall, this set is 33% EX to EX/MT, 67% VG to VG/EX. Check it out for specific rules/scans/condition info. http://burlssports.com/product/1939-...t-group-break/

http://i0.wp.com/burlssports.com/wp-...?fit=300%2C300

Also, I will be giving away 1 slot in the break--details will be posted Sunday evening on my Facebook page.

Several auctions up on eBay, if you're interested in that sort of thing. 33-38 Goudeys PSA and SGC, some 50's PSA cards, and high-grade '86 Fleer basketball. '58 Mantle, '52 Bowman Mays, '38 Goudey Feller, '53 Topps Mays, '52 Topps Reese, and more. Link to auctions

PayPal, Check, MO are all accepted.

In the interest of full disclosure, I did pay a fee to place this post in the main forum.

Let me know if you have any questions via PM or at burl@burlssports.com

Thanks,
Burl (Justin Burleson)

deltaarnet 11-27-2015 09:45 AM

I'm in! Thanks Justin.

jfkheat 11-27-2015 11:12 AM

I won a 1954 Ernie Banks rookie in one of Justin's set breaks a year or so ago. Good luck to anyone that joins in.
James

Danny Smith 11-27-2015 01:12 PM

Got one spot! Love these!

bbcard1 11-27-2015 03:33 PM

Love the breaks...have a nice DiMaggio, so I'll pass on this one but will be in again in the future.

Bretsky 11-27-2015 04:46 PM

Got my spot as I love the vintage breaks!

deltaarnet 11-28-2015 09:41 AM

Grabbed another spot with a discount and free shipping.

jburl 11-29-2015 01:44 PM

Thanks to everyone who has bought in so far! Down to 20 slots, so if you were waiting to get in, it's probably the right time! :)

Thanks again,
Justin (Burl) Burleson

Danny Smith 11-29-2015 02:29 PM

Assuming this sells out today (I just bought another - 15 left!) when do you think this will go down?

jburl 11-29-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Smith (Post 1477210)
Assuming this sells out today (I just bought another - 15 left!) when do you think this will go down?

I have one new buyer who paid by check. Assuming he doesn't decide to send paypal payment, likely Wednesday. If he paid via paypal, then it would happen next day.

Thanks!

MW1 11-30-2015 12:08 PM

I'm not singling out this particular seller/host, but I'm wondering if these group breaks would, by definition, constitute a lottery, which would be illegal per Federal law:

12 USCS § 25a , "lottery" includes any arrangement whereby three or more persons (the "participants") advance money or credit to another in exchange for the possibility or expectation that one or more but not all of the participants (the "winners") will receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced, the identity of the winners being determined by any means which includes--

(A) a random selection;

(B) a game, race, or contest; or

(C) any record or tabulation of the result of one or more events in which any participant has no interest except for its bearing upon the possibility that he may become a winner.

Leon 11-30-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MW1 (Post 1477440)
I'm not singling out this particular seller/host, but I'm wondering if these group breaks would, by definition, constitute a lottery, which would be illegal per Federal law:

12 USCS § 25a , "lottery" includes any arrangement whereby three or more persons (the "participants") advance money or credit to another in exchange for the possibility or expectation that one or more but not all of the participants (the "winners") will receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced, the identity of the winners being determined by any means which includes--

(A) a random selection;

(B) a game, race, or contest; or

(C) any record or tabulation of the result of one or more events in which any participant has no interest except for its bearing upon the possibility that he may become a winner.

This has been hashed out. Everyone (All) gets something (a card with value) so it's not really gambling....

I should also add, what is being done could very technically be against some law somehow I guess, but I don't think there are many victims coming forward. But technically, I guess it's conceivable it isn't legal. I am not a lawyer. (obviously)

1952boyntoncollector 11-30-2015 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1477454)
This has been hashed out. Everyone (All) gets something (a card with value) so it's not really gambling....

I should also add, what is being done could very technically be against some law somehow I guess, but I don't think there are many victims coming forward. But technically, I guess it's conceivable it isn't legal. I am not a lawyer. (obviously)

I think it also implies direct money, a card is only worth what someone will pay for it and each card is unique as to centering and other characteristics. There has been some dealings about the implied secondary card market in value purposes but in this instance who knows

jburl 11-30-2015 02:47 PM

I can see the cause for concern, but I'm very comfortable with it for the following reasons, although I'm certainly not an attorney.
1. Everyone is guaranteed to get a card from the set.
2. The value of that card is ascribed by a secondary market.
3. Given 1 and 2, it's not much different than what card companies do when they create a product - some cards are more desirable, and therefore "worth" more on the secondary market. The difference is that I'm not creating the product; I'm outsourcing it from several decades ago. :)
4. I give away one slot in every break. (P.S. details on this giveaway here)

Thanks for asking, and as Leon pointed out, I think it has been hashed out in other places as well.

On a separate note, the break is sold out and scheduled to broadcast on Wednesday afternoon at 4:45 PM CST. Link to the break broadcast page is here.

Thanks again,
Justin (Burl) Burleson