Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Vintage Baseball Card and Player Trivia (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148433)

sayhey24 03-06-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 973186)
I think Joe DiMaggio's most impressive statistic is his career strikeout total of 369. With 361 home runs he is the closest by far to achieving a HR/SO ratio of 1. In seven seasons Joe had more home runs than strikeouts. Can you name one Hall of Famer whose home run total exceeded his strikeout total in two separate seasons? There is at least one correct answer.

My first guess was Joe Sewell (since he almost never struck out), and a quick check of the records shows that he did do it twice. I'm guessing there might be others from the deadball era?

Greg

frankbmd 03-06-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 973192)
My first guess was Joe Sewell (since he almost never struck out), and a quick check of the records shows that he did do it twice. I'm guessing there might be others from the deadball era?

Greg

Correct. That one didn't last very long.

FrankWakefield 03-06-2012 05:58 PM

Walter Alston is correct, Mark.

And now you're turn to ask a question.

mark evans 03-06-2012 07:40 PM

I tried one a couple pages back that was intended for math junkies but maybe unfair. I'll rack my brain for a more appropriate question.

mark evans 03-06-2012 08:23 PM

What immortal pinch-hitter hit his first major league homer as a pinch-hitter for Roger Maris?

packs 03-06-2012 08:57 PM

He was also the only man to ever pinch hit for Ted Williams.

frankbmd 03-06-2012 09:15 PM

Mr. Hardy

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark evans (Post 973368)
What immortal pinch-hitter hit his first major league homer as a pinch-hitter for Roger Maris?

If I'm permitted to answer, my answer would be Carroll Hardy. I still have an unanswered question and hint pending on this thread.

Note also that this thread has exceeded 1000 views in less than 58 hours. I wonder what the record is for this milestone.

mark evans 03-06-2012 09:26 PM

correct

FrankWakefield 03-06-2012 09:46 PM

Mr. Musial is in the Hall, he had more home runs than strikeouts in both 1943 and 1948.

What major league pitcher has the most career wins among those pitchers who DID NOT ever win the Cy Young Award?

matty6 03-07-2012 03:36 AM

Nolan Ryan

Or is this a trick question? Is the answer Cy Young?

frankbmd 03-07-2012 05:52 AM

My favorite trivia question with a twist

I am looking for two players who:

Were born in the same year,
Played the same position,
Played for and achieved their success with the same team,
and both made it to Cooperstown (not in the same year)
but never played in the same game, and in fact they were never even teammates.

Look at the first line again and post images of these two players.

carrigansghost 03-07-2012 02:40 PM

Carroll Hardy also pinch hit for Yaz adding to his place in trivia history.

Rawn

Runscott 03-07-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 973429)

If Lefty O'Doul had a couple more good years with the Giants, I would say him and Ross Youngs.

frankbmd 03-07-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 973532)
If Lefty O'Doul had a couple more good years with the Giants, I would say him and Ross Youngs.

Not correct, Scott, but I learned something. Didn't know that Ross Youngs was in the Hall. Thanks for your guess.

FrankWakefield 03-07-2012 05:27 PM

A. Parks, it is Cy Young. Of the pitchers who did not win the Cy Young award, he has the most wins. I like that question!

matty6 03-07-2012 05:36 PM

Awwwwww....you sly dog!

frankbmd 03-07-2012 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 973558)
A. Parks, it is Cy Young. Of the pitchers who did not win the Cy Young award, he has the most wins. I like that question!

I like that one too. Now, Frank, answer either of mine Post #23 with a clue at #48 or Post #61.

Frank

Runscott 03-07-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 973565)
I like that one too. Now, Frank, answer either of mine Post #23 with a clue at #48 or Post #61.

Frank

Frank, give me a clue - I wasted about two hours today trying to figure that one out, and now I actually HAVE two hours to waste while waiting to get outbid on all the Legendary lots I'm currently leading.

I'm guessing it's someone who got in as a player, and someone who got in as a manager....or a blockbuster mid-season trade between leagues, where one player's career went down and the other one's went up.

frankbmd 03-07-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 973594)
Frank, give me a clue - I wasted about two hours today trying to figure that one out, and now I actually HAVE two hours to waste while waiting to get outbid on all the Legendary lots I'm currently leading.

I'm guessing it's someone who got in as a player, and someone who got in as a manager....or a blockbuster mid-season trade between leagues, where one player's career went down and the other one's went up.

PM sent

frankbmd 03-09-2012 08:34 AM

Bump for Answer

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 973429)

Amos Rusie had three 500 inning seasons with the Giants by the age of 21 and was essentially finished by the age of 28.

McGinnity joined the Giants after Rusie was gone and pitched with them in the following decade and continued to pitch in the minors until he was 54.

Both were also in the Legendary Auction recently, although McGinnity was harder to fin in Lot #446 I believe.

matty6 03-09-2012 09:17 AM

Wow! Good question!

But what was the "twist?"

frankbmd 03-09-2012 10:02 AM

To display the answer in images

matty6 03-09-2012 11:06 AM

Oh! Gotcha!

frankbmd 03-09-2012 01:30 PM

A comment and an answer

There is a misspelled name in the T206 set, that is unique for a reason not related to the spelling error. What is the error and why is it unique?

The misspelled player had a major league career that spanned 8 years, during which he hit two home runs.

Whether this thread lives in infamy or dies a slow painful death remains to be seen. I personally will not keep feeding questions as my supply is finite. I have learned a few good additions to my repertoire. Hopefully I can use them to win a few drinks at bars that I do not frequent. I will continue to follow the thread to the grave though.

Having made my comment, I will provide the answer to the above question.
Violat (actually Viola) and George Brown (actually Browne) are both valid answers, but the unique answer I was looking for was Sid Smith (actually Sydney or Syd Smith), who is unique because he is the only T206 player whose card includes his first name on the front. Yes there are some initials on other cards (H Davis, L Tannehill, and F Smith to name a few) and of course Happy Smith, but Happy is a nickname.

I'm including an image of Syd to complete this post. Let's get some more questions.