Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Authentic Grades (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=283886)

Clemaz 05-28-2020 09:05 PM

Authentic Grades

Always trying to learn. Why do cards get a authentic grade instead of a number one poor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drcy 05-28-2020 11:59 PM

Authentic will usually mean the card is altered or significantly damaged, like part missing.

Though someone submitting the card can ask for just an Authentic grade.

hcv123 05-29-2020 06:27 AM

There is authentic and authentic altered

Authentic Altered is clarity that in fact the card has been altered/doctored in some way (it would be nice if they added how). Trimmed, recolored, corners pressed are just a few possibilities.

Authentic is a bit less clear - Strong possibility of alteration as above (I don't think they started using "altered" till much later in their history). Also possibly outside of their grading criteria descriptions in some way but still a real (as opposed to counterfeited or reprinted) card. There are also certain issues (the 1967 and 1968 Topps Discs come to mind) that they will ONLY grade as Authentic - their position being that the cards are all proofs and never made it to final production stage.

robertamex 07-19-2020 08:07 AM

New PSA Submissions on Autos: Go Authentic or Grade Cards

I've got a 1964 and a 1965 Pete Rose card with his Autograph on them. Both are PSA graded. The Autos graded both 10s, but the cards are 2.5 and 4. I love the autos, but I hate that the grades are different and I'm thinking about collecting a full run of Rose with PSA 10 auto grades. I want the focus to be on the Autos and not the quality of the cards. Ultimately, I care that they are authentic cards with killer autos.

Should I keep all the random card grades or try to make it all look neat by reslabbing them as "Authentic Cards" with the existing 10 Auto grades?

bobbyw8469 07-19-2020 09:20 AM

I hate for you to waste money on a relabeling adventure. Keep them as is.

swarmee 07-19-2020 09:44 AM

Agreed; seems like a waste of money, but it's your money. If you did this, I would recommend you try to get this done as a Reholder which will cost significantly less than a regular submission.

Who knows what the buyers will want when you decide to sell. Those who are collecting for some type of registry set will probably want the card grades left there, so they don't have to regrade them with another round of payments to PSA.

perezfan 07-19-2020 12:16 PM

Leave them alone, and don't throw money to the wind. You would not be likely to recoup it for such an endeavor.

Just as lawyers are the only "winners" in a divorce settlement, PSA is the only winner with this type of action. Enjoy the pieces for what they are, and resist the compulsion to have a 3rd party dictate what you collect.