Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What i found in my basement... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=228637)

EvilKing00 09-15-2016 06:21 PM

What i found in my basement...

Almost 6 years ago i bought my house. About a year later im in the unfinished basement gettin a few beers out of my beer/wine fridge with a few friends. We wound up chatting and drinking for about an hour. As we are talking one friend looks up into the partially open celing and says.." Hey i found a bunch of money" as he laughed. We all thought he was kidding, but he wasnt... 73 singles, lmao. It gets better keep reading.

We go back to drinking laughing about the singles and same guy says , "theres something else up here" he pulls out a 199? Playboy magazine, lol

Way funny as the old owners were an old couple.

But i sure wish i found t cards instead

Anyone else find anything good in a house they bought?

Heres a great story worth the read-> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-50-years.html

irv 09-15-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilKing00 (Post 1585304)
Almost 6 years ago i bought my house. About a year later im in the unfinished basement gettin a few beers out of my beer/wine fridge with a few friends. We wound up chatting and drinking for about an hour. As we are talking one friend looks up into the partially open celing and says.." Hey i found a bunch of money" as he laughed. We all thought he was kidding, but he wasnt... 73 singles, lmao. It gets better keep reading.

We go back to drinking laughing about the singles and same guy says , "theres something else up here" he pulls out a 199? Playboy magazine, lol

Way funny as the old owners were an old couple.

But i sure wish i found t cards instead

Anyone else find anything good in a house they bought?

Heres a great story worth the read-> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-50-years.html

I remember this find years ago.

Do a "Cars in barns" search on Google and you will find a ton of great vids/info.
This one was incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luu0TWdFFnU

philliesfan 09-16-2016 08:18 AM

The only thing I found were a few Indian Head pennies. They were worn and common dates, but it was cool to find
Robert

philliesfan 09-16-2016 08:19 AM

Oh yeah.....back in the late 70's early 80's, my cousin found $7,000.00 in cash under the carpeting.

bbcard1 09-16-2016 08:21 AM

Bought an office building. Found a fair amount of old Double Cola memorabilia, which was not unexpected as it was a former plant. Also found a large spool of copper at the peak of the metal spike which we sold for a few hundred dollars.

brob28 09-16-2016 08:33 AM

Not a find in my basement, but another example of "stuff" being out there that no one knows about. About 8 years ago I took a chance on a local estate sale that offered baseball cards without too much description other than being "old". What they had was complete 1961 Topps and Nu Scoop sets in generally Ex-Mt to Mint condition. I ended up winning the bids on about 50% of the '61 Topps cards. While I was paying, the auctioneer told me that the wife (husband deceased) never knew about them. They were found on a shelf behind other items in the garage, had been there for years based on the amount of dust on the boxes. What I sent for grading came back mostly 7's and 8's. You just never know what's out there.

Republicaninmass 09-16-2016 09:06 AM

old clean out found a 1978 Bump Wills

Snapolit1 09-16-2016 09:09 AM

Found a stack of Sports Illustrated swimsuit covers all torn off, neatly stacked, up high on top of a cabinet. Quaint. Harkens back to a simpler time.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-16-2016 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1585467)

That's quite a find since his rookie was 1979!

bn2cardz 09-16-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1585473)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Republicaninmass (Post 1585467)

That's quite a find since his rookie was 1979!

:confused:
Bump Wills has a card in 1977 and 1978

http://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1977/...1efa&size=zoom

http://img.comc.com/i/Baseball/1978/...e0a3&size=zoom

Fred 09-16-2016 10:06 AM

Wow, a Mike Champion rookie card! Awesome!

MikeGarcia 09-16-2016 11:37 AM

Usa usa usa !!!

In North Korea , the penalty for sarcasm is.....trust me , you don't wanna know...

steve B 09-16-2016 11:40 AM

Our house is 1880's and was in one family for almost 100 years. The second owner who bought it in the 1890's invented a piece of mining equipment, and was into cars pretty early. While almost all of the antiques got cleared out about three years before we bought it there were some 1910 ish tire chains and a "new" sparkplug in a cabinet in the carriage house. The owner before us left a picture of the house as it was in 1910. There's also a few house parts, like extra pieces of unusual trim etc.

Steve B

bn2cardz 09-16-2016 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred (Post 1585486)
Wow, a Mike Champion rookie card! Awesome!

To be clear no one even said they found a Mike Champion card. Or a 77 Topps card.
Another poster mentioned the 78 Bump Wills card (which in and of itself itsn't a "find" and may have been sarcasm). To which someone replied that his RC was in 1979. I was confused by that statement and pointed out that there were two Bump Wills cards prior to 1979.

EvilKing00 09-16-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philliesfan (Post 1585453)
Oh yeah.....back in the late 70's early 80's, my cousin found $7,000.00 in cash under the carpeting.

wow thats awesome

LEHR 09-16-2016 09:36 PM

After my great uncle passed away in 1987 my dad was tasked with handling his estate since his wife had long since passed and he never had children. While going through an old trunk my dad found around 8-9 1933/34 Goudey commons. All were in VG-VG/EX condition. Dad brought them home to me and I spent the next week with him going through my great uncles stuff looking for more cards, but never found anymore. I was 13 and these were the oldest cards I owned at the time.

Jobu 09-16-2016 10:07 PM

I close on my first house next week ... so cross your fingers for me!

EvilKing00 09-17-2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobu (Post 1585667)
I close on my first house next week ... so cross your fingers for me!

congrats! Buying and moving are usually a huge headache, lol but once its over will be all good. Hopefully your deal went smoothly

Leon 09-19-2016 02:17 PM

We don't have many basements in Texas so we (my family) visit some antique stores. Over the last 20 yrs there has been almost zilch I have found. The few T cards were T206s and were approximately $100 for a common in gd condition. It is over a hundred years old and is a baseball card so It has to be worth a hundred dollars. :cool:

conor912 09-19-2016 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My brother in law was tearing out a wall in his Boston condo and found some old newspapers used as insulation. This was from one of them from 1922.

Tcards-Please 09-21-2016 10:35 AM

1914 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson find

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...kson+old+house

Pretty cool find by Kevin, that I was able to purchase at a cheap price.

r/
Frank

Beatles Guy 09-21-2016 10:44 AM

We gutted the kitchen of our turn of the century home and we found a Hohner harmonica, a handmade child's bow and arrow, a wall sconce, some player piano advertisements, several smooth river rocks, and a small wooden box. We also found a 1909 penny under the steps when we were repairing them.

Eric72 09-21-2016 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatles Guy (Post 1587087)
We gutted the kitchen of our turn of the century home and we found a Hohner harmonica, a handmade child's bow and arrow, a wall sconce, some player piano advertisements, several smooth river rocks, and a small wooden box. We also found a 1909 penny under the steps when we were repairing them.

I am not sure if you're aware that some 1909 pennies can be worth quite a bit of money. If it is a Lincoln cent with an S mint mark, bearing the initials V.D.B., it's a key date with a (relatively speaking) low mintage.

Any chance you can provide front/back images?

Beatles Guy 09-21-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1587106)
I am not sure if you're aware that some 1909 pennies can be worth quite a bit of money. If it is a Lincoln cent with an S mint mark, bearing the initials V.D.B., it's a key date with a (relatively speaking) low mintage.

Any chance you can provide front/back images?

Well, here is the problem. My wife gave it to the contractor doing the work. Still a sore subject around here, especially since I dabble in coins.

HercDriver 09-21-2016 04:56 PM

Basement find

My house has a big crawl space in the basement. As I was moving stuff in and storing crap in there, I found a bowl (the smoking pot kind). I just laughed, and decided to cut the poor kid a break and not send it to his dad! I also have a piece to an old baseball game of some sort. My brother found it in his adobe wall when he redid his house. It's a baseball player, about twice as big as those electric football guys we used to have. I've never figured out what it goes to...

Eric72 09-21-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatles Guy (Post 1587162)
Well, here is the problem. My wife gave it to the contractor doing the work. Still a sore subject around here, especially since I dabble in coins.

Sorry to hear. If the contractor knowingly poached a 1909 S V.D.B. from someone who didn't know what they were holding, I hope they experienced karmic justice somewhere down the road.

Heck, even if the coin was NOT the Lincoln Small Cent Holy Grail, shame on the contractor for asking for (and taking) something they had no right to.

Please PM me if you want to discuss coins. I also, "dabble."