Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1933 Exhibit? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152590)

texigator 06-17-2012 01:37 AM

1933 Exhibit?

I just bought a card billed as a 1933 Exhibit. It is a single card of Urbanski only. It is small and looks to me like a Four on One card has been cut up.

Does anyone know if the 1933 Exhibits were issued as single players, too, or only as Four on One?

Thanks

Rickyy 06-17-2012 02:27 AM

I think Urbanski was part of the 4 on 1 Exhibit Set in 1934... if its small its been cut up.

Ricky Y

FrankWakefield 06-17-2012 08:27 AM

Posting a scan with dimensions would help a bit.

It sure sounds like you've bought part of a 1934 Exhibit card. I don't think Urbanski was on any of the 1933 cards. Look at the edges of your card, you can probably see that two adjacent edges have a surface that looks slightly older than the other two. (But maybe not so if the Exhibit was cut apart soon after acquisition.) If you knew "1933" Exhibits were 4in1's, what were you doing buying what was described as a single???

wrapperguy 06-17-2012 10:41 AM

Cut ups

There is some guy on ebay selling cut up 4 in 1s and describing them as "rare singles" and pricing them at $99 each. Mercy. Contacted the guy once about his "mistake" and never got a response. Return it if you can or dispute it as it is misrepresented.

Chris Counts 06-17-2012 10:51 AM

Jeff, I've contacted the seller as well (he never replied) and complained to eBay. Here's his description ...

"This rare card is a 1933 Baseball Exhibit Card produced by Exhibit Supply Company of Chicago. When they are found they command a premium price because they are so difficult to locate. The card was originally issued as a 1933 Four on One Exhibit Card. Some were distributed as smaller single cards ..."

The guy has perfect feedback, so maybe he's never sold one. He's been offering these at ridiculous prices for years. I actually collect the cut-apart cards, but I've rarely paid more than $5 a piece, even for Hall of Famers. If he's so sure they're something special, why doesn't he get them graded?

There are other threads on this subject as well. I'd like to see the seller come on here and defend his opinion about these cards ...

texigator 06-17-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankWakefield (Post 1004432)
Posting a scan with dimensions would help a bit.

It sure sounds like you've bought part of a 1934 Exhibit card. I don't think Urbanski was on any of the 1933 cards. Look at the edges of your card, you can probably see that two adjacent edges have a surface that looks slightly older than the other two. (But maybe not so if the Exhibit was cut apart soon after acquisition.) If you knew "1933" Exhibits were 4in1's, what were you doing buying what was described as a single???

Good question, but I didn't know if the players were exclusively distributed as Four in One or if they also had individual players issued as well. That's why I came to this board and asked the experts (I didn't think to in advance because I thought it was full size).

Thanks for the information. I appreciate the help.

texigator 06-17-2012 12:52 PM

Thanks for all of the advice and info, guys. I appreciate you all!!

The card is small, 1 3/4 x 2 5/8. The seller has agreed to accept the return. I don't know much about the '30's issues and so I'm learning as I go. Dodged a bullet on this one.