Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Blum's Bulletins - Any experts out there? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=236489)

doug.goodman 03-07-2017 04:58 PM

Blum's Bulletins - Any experts out there?

1 Attachment(s)
I picked this up, but I'm not sure what to make of it.

It's the same paper as a Blum's, and the printing style seems to be the same.

Doug

doug.goodman 03-07-2017 04:59 PM

Sorry, I meant to post in the Memorabilia forum...

doug.goodman 03-09-2017 02:55 AM

See what happens when you collect weird shit that nobody else cares about?

Hahahaha,
Doug

Leon 03-09-2017 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 1639143)
See what happens when you collect weird shit that nobody else cares about?

Hahahaha,
Doug

Yes, as a collector of esoteric stuff it happens. Blums are kind of the red headed stepchild of other premiums. They are too big and on thin paper, if I recall correctly....I never found a lot of people collecting them though have had a type or two over the years. And I am not sure it matters where you posted this but it was moved for you. Maybe a pure memorabilia person will be the one? Good luck (as far as Blum's go, if it is one, it's a neat one)

jerseygary 03-09-2017 10:07 AM

Is that a bunch of International League players? Looks like TORONTO, and I think I see a couple Baltimore players in there with the black diamond and Old English "B" on the sleeve. I think Baltimore stopped using this style jersey circa 1918.

What's the story with these, how were they distributed?

bigfanNY 03-10-2017 01:14 AM

Hello I am no expert but did a little research recently when I posted a picture of my Lajoie. The checklist lists 3 teams two are Rochester and one is " All Stars" . My basic research also notes that not all of the premiums have the Blum's name. Hope this helps.
Jonathan

sporteq 03-10-2017 11:56 AM

Doug- This is a mysterious set of premiums that is difficult to complete. They're a lot of subjects that are unknown. I believe there's a incomplete checklist made. I had a few major stars that I sold over the last 10 years. I think the Lou Gehrig runs around $1k

bigfanNY 03-10-2017 01:01 PM

Maybe I was not clear I believe that the premium posted by the OP is the All star team listed in the checklist. I have not been able to verify as pictures of the premiums are as scarce as the premiums themselves. Looks like John Ramirez has a couple listed on ebay and a red bordered Gehrig comes up with a google search. But given the fact that the Gehrig has a completely different format and from the photo I could not make out any Blum's mark brings up more questions than it answers... Hope someone with source material answers the thread.

doug.goodman 03-10-2017 09:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1639642)
Maybe I was not clear I believe that the premium posted by the OP is the All star team listed in the checklist. I have not been able to verify as pictures of the premiums are as scarce as the premiums themselves. Looks like John Ramirez has a couple listed on ebay and a red bordered Gehrig comes up with a google search. But given the fact that the Gehrig has a completely different format and from the photo I could not make out any Blum's mark brings up more questions than it answers... Hope someone with source material answers the thread.

I think that you might be right about the one I just got being the All Star team. Somehow, I didn't have that one one my list of Blum's.

Here is my Gehrig, it looks similar to most other Blum's issues, except for Everett Scott being pictured in the background.

doug.goodman 03-10-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sporteq (Post 1639624)
Doug- This is a mysterious set of premiums that is difficult to complete. They're a lot of subjects that are unknown. I believe there's a incomplete checklist made. I had a few major stars that I sold over the last 10 years. I think the Lou Gehrig runs around $1k

Less difficult when you sell me the one that began this thread, thank you Albert.

Albert brings up a good point regarding the catalog, which I seem to have had wrong, in that I wasn't aware of the All Star team.

Here are the 20 members of the Blum's set that I know of, are there any others that any of you are aware of?

1911 Rochester Team
1912 Rochester Team
All Star Team
Grover Cleveland Alexander
Eddie Collins
Jake Daubert
Bill Donovan
Johnny Evers
Lou Gehrig
Heine Groh
Lefty Grove
Walter Johnson
Napoleon Lajoie
Rabbit Maranville
Wicky McAvoy
Babe Ruth
Bill Southworth
Tris Speaker
George Torporcer
Dazzy Vance

bigfanNY 03-11-2017 03:48 PM

This is the checklist from "old cardboard" which is specific to players and which type each player has been verified.

Card # Description Type*
(1) Grover C. Alexander 2
(2) Edward T. Collins 1
(3) Jacob E. Daubert 1
(4) Bill Donovan 2
(5) Johnny Evers 1
(6) Lou Gehrig 2
(7) Heinie K. Groh 2
(8) Lefty Grove 2
(9) Walter Johnson 1
(10) Napoleon Lajoie 1
(11) Walter J. V. Maranville 1
(12) James (Wicky) McAvoy 2
(13) Babe Ruth 2
(14) Billy Southworth 2
(15) Tristam Speaker 1
(16) George Toporcer 2
(17) Arthur C. (Dazzy) Vance 2
(18) Hans Wagner 2
(19) All Stars 1
(20) 1911 Rochester team 2
(21) 1912 Rochestter team 2

* The premiums are one of two Types (sizes):
Type 1 (1933): Narrow: 9-1/2 by 13-3/4 inches
Type 2 (1934): Wide: 11-3/4 by 13-3/4 inches
From My research I would say that type 1's seem to be scarcer than type 2's any thoughts?

bigfanNY 03-11-2017 03:54 PM

comparing the two checklists the Wagner is the one missing from your list. Of note is the fact that the All Star team previously known was a type 1.

doug.goodman 03-11-2017 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1640077)
comparing the two checklists the Wagner is the one missing from your list. Of note is the fact that the All Star team previously known was a type 1.

Thank you Jonathan, now I'm looking for two Blum's supplements.

sporteq 03-11-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 1640074)
This is the checklist from "old cardboard" which is specific to players and which type each player has been verified.

Card # Description Type*
(1) Grover C. Alexander 2
(2) Edward T. Collins 1
(3) Jacob E. Daubert 1
(4) Bill Donovan 2
(5) Johnny Evers 1
(6) Lou Gehrig 2
(7) Heinie K. Groh 2
(8) Lefty Grove 2
(9) Walter Johnson 1
(10) Napoleon Lajoie 1
(11) Walter J. V. Maranville 1
(12) James (Wicky) McAvoy 2
(13) Babe Ruth 2
(14) Billy Southworth 2
(15) Tristam Speaker 1
(16) George Toporcer 2
(17) Arthur C. (Dazzy) Vance 2
(18) Hans Wagner 2
(19) All Stars 1
(20) 1911 Rochester team 2
(21) 1912 Rochestter team 2

* The premiums are one of two Types (sizes):
Type 1 (1933): Narrow: 9-1/2 by 13-3/4 inches
Type 2 (1934): Wide: 11-3/4 by 13-3/4 inches
From My research I would say that type 1's seem to be scarcer than type 2's any thoughts?

This looks to be the complete check list. From the premiums I've owned and the premiums offered from various auction houses. The narrow format are tougher to find.

Thanks for posting the checklist!

doug.goodman 11-13-2020 02:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Since I just figured out that the Daubert I have been looking for already resides in my collection (I just hadn't scanned it), I have now completed the entire "known" set of Blum's Bulletins plus a Ruth variation that I haven't seen discussed.

This Ruth isn't on glossy paper, and is stamped on the back, leading me to think that it may have been enclosed in an issue of the bulletin (I have always figured that the "regular" supplements were a send away thing, due to their size.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Doug

PS - since the chase has always been the fun part for me, I might be willing to part with the entire set for a decent price. But I have no interest in breaking it up.

bigfanNY 11-13-2020 03:45 PM

Congratulations Doug

Congrats on putting the set together. Did you ever identify the players in the minor league All Star team that started this thread.. it is funny how you chase something and having found it the glow fades from the Rose. So Enjoy the set maybe find a way to display it?
Cheers
Jonathan

doug.goodman 11-13-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2034898)
Congrats on putting the set together. Did you ever identify the players in the minor league All Star team that started this thread.. it is funny how you chase something and having found it the glow fades from the Rose. So Enjoy the set maybe find a way to display it?
Cheers
Jonathan

I put some effort into trying to find the All Star Team picture, but haven't gotten anywhere.

I'm not putting any real effort into selling the set, besides posting it with a too high by-it-now on ebay. Doing so made me start thinking about the m101-2 set that I completed a couple years ago, and seldom look at... hmmmm...

It's a cool set. I'm actually more curious about the second Ruth than I am about the details of the All Star Team. I'll keep looking into both...