Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Louisville colonels photo ebay? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=195553)

Econteachert205 10-16-2014 05:36 PM

Louisville colonels photo ebay?

This photo is advertised as ca. 1899 louisville colonels. I don't see the people I should. Any thoughts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1899-LOUISVI...item2ed6e0c53d

Jaybird 10-16-2014 05:38 PM

1902 I believe. Patsy Flaherty and John Ganzel are present. But typically people don't like an auction outed right before it closes.

Econteachert205 10-16-2014 05:40 PM

My mistake, I was just concerned about what I thought was an improper id in terms of date. My apologies. Won't happen again.

bmarlowe1 10-16-2014 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 1334499)
...But typically people don't like an auction outed right before it closes.

I don't understand that. If it's post 1900 (and it may be as you said with Ganzel and Flaherty) then it isn't a major league photo as advertised. I never heard about any time limit on outing a photo, be it before, during or after an auction.

Jaybird 10-16-2014 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 (Post 1334570)
I don't understand that. If it's post 1900 (and it may be as you said with Ganzel and Flaherty) then it isn't a major league photo as advertised. I never heard about any time limit on outing a photo, be it before, during or after an auction.

If I was bidding on that auction, and it was mis-described, mis-labeled, etc. then I wouldn't want a thread started on it bringing attention to it. That's all I'm saying. Do whatever you want. I answered the question and gave my opinion.

bmarlowe1 10-16-2014 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 1334573)
If I was bidding on that auction, and it was mis-described, mis-labeled, etc. then I wouldn't want a thread started on it bringing attention to it. That's all I'm saying. Do whatever you want. I answered the question and gave my opinion.

I've done just that more times than I can count and I will continue to do so. Econteacher should know that your opinion is not universally held - that's all I'm saying.

Here is the same photo with IDs:

Jaybird 10-16-2014 08:21 PM

NM

UnVme7 10-16-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 1334580)
NM

You're ok, Jason. I don't like ppl posting items I'm bidding on either, especially so close to the end of the auction. Might as well waited until it ended, but it's all good.

sayhey24 10-16-2014 10:02 PM

Rest easy Jason -- you are absolutely in the right on this one. It has long been the very unofficial policy on this board that auctions are not outed -- I think it's even more of a no-no on the card side of the board.

Greg

bmarlowe1 10-16-2014 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhey24 (Post 1334610)
Rest easy Jason -- you are absolutely in the right on this one. It has long been the very unofficial policy on this board that auctions are not outed -- I think it's even more of a no-no on the card side of the board.

Greg

I've done it a lot (starting in 2009), including a number of times right before and after close and I've never heard anything negative from anyone, and I've yet to hear a good reason for your objection.

Jaybird 10-16-2014 11:00 PM

I don't really need anyone to defend me. I answered the thread and even gave the information (right information, BTW) to the OP before the auction closed.

If I know the information in a listing is not accurate, it gives me an advantage in the sale. Putting the correct information out on a public forum puts more people on an equal footing and lessens my advantage. Is that a good enough reason?

bmarlowe1 10-16-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 1334627)
I don't really need anyone to defend me. I answered the thread and even gave the information (right information, BTW) to the OP before the auction closed.

If I know the information in a listing is not accurate, it gives me an advantage in the sale. Putting the correct information out on a public forum puts more people on an equal footing and lessens my advantage. Is that a good enough reason?

My question was directed more to the subsequent posters than to you. In any case, I understand what you are saying if the photo is "under-identified" (e.g. it incoudes a HoFer that no one has noticed). But it is much more common that it is claimed to be more than what it really is. In that case I still don't understand.

Jaybird 10-16-2014 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmarlowe1 (Post 1334630)
My question was directed more to the subsequent posters than to you. In any case, I understand what you are saying if the photo is "under-identified" (e.g. it incoudes a HoFer that no one has noticed). But it is much more common that it is claimed to be more than what it really is. In that case I still don't understand.

In my case, that photo was misIdentified. I wasn't even bidding on it. But the seller had another photo that I was going to bid on. It was a Yale college photo with Ed Walsh in it. I thought it could go for cheap. But once this photo was highlighted, other people would start clicking on the other seller's photos and find the one I was looking at as well. I'd just rather people wait until the auctions are over and then start talking about who is and who isn't in the photo. I understand that I can't control anyone so I just mentioned it while also giving the information. Obviously people can do whatever they want to do.

He's a well known seller so likely everyone saw it already, so I'm sure my point is moot and everyone can go back to doing exactly what they want to do which is what they do anyway. YOLO as the kids say.

bmarlowe1 10-16-2014 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaybird (Post 1334632)
In my case, that photo was misIdentified. I wasn't even bidding on it. But the seller had another photo that I was going to bid on. It was a Yale college photo with Ed Walsh in it. I thought it could go for cheap. But once this photo was highlighted, other people would start clicking on the other seller's photos and find the one I was looking at as well. I'd just rather people wait until the auctions are over and then start talking about who is and who isn't in the photo.

OK - Though people do frequently question ebay/small seller photos during the auction on this board, I do now understand your reason. Nothing for us to argue about.

I would think that for a large AH, there should not be an issue. For ex the recent bogus JJ photo thread:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=194010

Econteachert205 10-17-2014 06:31 AM

When I created the thread I was only thinking about the photo in question being over-sold in terms of description because of the fact that an 1899 colonels photo is a hell of a different animal than a 1902. Since I couldn't ID the photo I wasn't even sure who it actually was, so I didn't perceive my self as costing anyone money, more I was thinking the opposite. What I was not considering was the collateral issue with the sellers other auctions and for that Jaybird I do apologize. Yes I will absolutely wait until the end of auctions to post similar questions. I wasn't even interested in bidding on any of his auctions, just kind of stuck on trying to ID that photo which led me to not think of unintended consequences.

Jaybird 10-17-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Econteachert205 (Post 1334676)
When I created the thread I was only thinking about the photo in question being over-sold in terms of description because of the fact that an 1899 colonels photo is a hell of a different animal than a 1902. Since I couldn't ID the photo I wasn't even sure who it actually was, so I didn't perceive my self as costing anyone money, more I was thinking the opposite. What I was not considering was the collateral issue with the sellers other auctions and for that Jaybird I do apologize. Yes I will absolutely wait until the end of auctions to post similar questions. I wasn't even interested in bidding on any of his auctions, just kind of stuck on trying to ID that photo which led me to not think of unintended consequences.

Seriously not a big deal. Since I was asked why I said what I said, I responded. The auction was open for 7 days. You asked your question 2 hours before closing. I think what struck me was more the timing than the question itself. I don't think I would have said anything if the question came up in day 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 or even the last day. But it was the last hours question that struck a nerve.

Again, no big deal. But since there was a question of my motivation, I figured I would explain.

Leon 10-17-2014 05:57 PM

Not that I necessarily need to reiterate what is well known but there are no rules against outing any ongoing auctions on this board. I don't personally like it done but there just can't be a rule against. We have debated this issue a lot and that is where the ball has bounced.