Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Need some help id'ing set (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248868)

cubman1941 12-15-2017 04:42 AM

Need some help id'ing set

I didn't know where else to post this question.

A friend sent me a set of mini cards - "Baseball Caramels mfg by American Caramel " 2016 World Series Champions Chicago Cubs. Was this done by Topps or someone else. I don't know a lot about the new cards and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jim

Ed_Hutchinson 12-16-2017 03:39 PM

Doing some research, will let you know if I Can figure them out

Ed

cubman1941 12-16-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_Hutchinson (Post 1730093)
Doing some research, will let you know if I Can figure them out

Ed

Ed,

Thanks. I am not familiar with the new stuff very much but I came up blank when I tried to research it - but have to admit I didn't try real hard:)

Ed_Hutchinson 12-17-2017 10:13 AM

SO it isnt issued by any of the major companies, its not an insert set, and its not a stadium giveaway. I have it narrowed down to: Maybe something given away in Chicago during the National this year- or it was a product produced to be placed in retail packages. Target and Walmart sometimes have boxes of stuff with a guaranteed auto/gu, some packs, and "unique retail items" so this might be one of those. Im still looking but they dont seem to be particularly common or particularly valuable...

Ed

cubman1941 12-17-2017 11:12 AM

Ed,

Thanks. The fellow who sent this set to me was determined to get a Cub set of everything produced in 2016 so maybe this was from a Walmart or Target product. I will check to see if I can find anything like that on line. Appreciate your continuing efforts.

Jim

Jantz 12-18-2017 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not so sure about the Walmart or Target theory. I hit those stores pretty hard for modern cards and never seen them before. I would have bought a set if I had. Now I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing them at any retailer in Ohio. Possibly a regional thing.

With that said, I found these in about a minute's time on Ebay. No mention of the manufacturer in any of the live or sold auctions.

cubman1941 12-18-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1730456)
I'm not so sure about the Walmart or Target theory. I hit those stores pretty hard for modern cards and never seen them before. I would have bought a set if I had. Now I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever seeing them at any retailer in Ohio. Possibly a regional thing.

With that said, I found these in about a minute's time on Ebay. No mention of the manufacturer in any of the live or sold auctions.

Jantz, Thanks. I did see these on Ebay also yesterday and sent a note to the seller asking him where they came from. Maybe he will respond. Appreciate it.

Jim

cubman1941 12-18-2017 06:14 AM

Just heard back from the seller of these cards who said:
"Have no idea"

The mystery continues.

mrmopar 12-19-2017 05:55 PM

Might be custom card?

Seems similar to Helmar issues of the past.

Those customs are becoming more and more commonplace and the quality is improving greatly. Imagine if the broder cards of the 70s-90s were of today's quality!

cubman1941 12-19-2017 06:02 PM

Very possible, familiar with Helmar issues. I figure maybe some Chicago company issued it. The quality is excellent and I remember when Broder was considered an illegitimate card issue and books would refuse to list them.
Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmopar (Post 1731041)
Might be custom card?

Seems similar to Helmar issues of the past.

Those customs are becoming more and more commonplace and the quality is improving greatly. Imagine if the broder cards of the 70s-90s were of today's quality!

cubman1941 12-24-2017 09:30 AM

Have heard back from Trey Treutel from Cardboard Connection who didn't know but gave me two links to EBay sellers who had sets to sell. One has not responded yet (from the 21st) and the second responded today that he didn't know and wanted to know why I asked. I told him I just like to know who produced cards I have and have had no success in finding out who made these.

cubman1941 12-27-2017 06:28 PM

Anyone else have any ideas?

HasselhoffsCheeseburger 12-28-2017 08:33 AM

Can't help but that's a really nice looking set. You would think the creator would want to get their name out there, you know, with that type of quality and all. Unless it's not licensed by MLB.

Arthur

cubman1941 12-28-2017 09:41 AM

I agree and I don't understand why the, at least three that I asked, sellers didn't know where they came from. Maybe they were afraid of Ebay doing something if they weren't licensed?