Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cain Throws Perfecto (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152460)

oldjudge 06-13-2012 11:30 PM

Cain Throws Perfecto

For those people who prefer great feats by non-steroid associated athletes, Matt Cain threw a perfect game tonight. Unfortunately, it may not be counted because it was against the AA caliber Astros.

itjclarke 06-14-2012 12:31 AM

Just got back from the game and...

... I don't care who it was against, sheer dominance.. 14K's, no hits, no walks. This was no fluke, given the guy has pitched 9 inning, 1 and 2 hit games already this year, and 2-3 complete game 1 hit shutouts prior to this year. Anyone who's been watching close knows this has been waiting to happen for a while. Most underrated pitcher in the game!

freakhappy 06-14-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1003487)
For those people who prefer great feats by non-steroid associated athletes, Matt Cain threw a perfect game tonight. Unfortunately, it may not be counted because it was against the AA caliber Astros.

LOL, I thought the same thing!

All kidding aside, Cain is having a fabulous year and is definitely in contention for the NL Cy Young if he keeps it up.

itjclarke 06-14-2012 01:01 AM

Too bad the Yanks won't get a shot at him this offseason, heh :p

Rickyy 06-14-2012 01:14 AM

He had the giddy up fast ball going full force tonite!

Ricky Y

yanks12025 06-14-2012 03:18 AM

Yet another perfect game or no hitter. Whatever happened to these being rare?

barrysloate 06-14-2012 04:27 AM

We're in the middle of June and there's already two perfect games and two no-hitters. And the Mets are protesting the only hit that R.A. Dickey gave up last night. If upheld (unlikely) that's the second Mets no-no in two weeks.

No real explanation why there have been so many perfect games lately.

esd10 06-14-2012 05:59 AM

this is crazy how many perfect games there has been in the last few years but anyway congrats cain.

scmavl 06-14-2012 07:46 AM

A deserving pitcher with a stellar performance.

DixieBaseball 06-14-2012 08:03 AM

Cain...

He has been dominating the last 3 years and is a quiet no frills kind of guy thus flying under the mainstream radar in MLB. He has the kind of stuff that will allow him to get multi-No-No's in his career... (I surmise he will throw 3 or 4 no hitters by the time he is done) I liken him to the quiet assassin. Love his game.

Nashvol 06-14-2012 08:08 AM

Cain

..and he's from Memphis, Houston HS grad (Germantown).

itjclarke 06-14-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashvilleBaseball (Post 1003533)
He has been dominating the last 3 years and is a quiet no frills kind of guy thus flying under the mainstream radar in MLB. He has the kind of stuff that will allow him to get multi-No-No's in his career... (I surmise he will throw 3 or 4 no hitters by the time he is done) I liken him to the quiet assassin. Love his game.

That's why we love him in SF. Lincecum has always been the rockstar, while Cain is just a rock. I think he's had the worst or 2nd worst run support since he came in the league, but has never complained, maintained total composure and is finally starting to see some W/L success. In 2010, his first and only postseason, he put up a 0.00 ERA over his 3 starts/21.3 innings. The guy is a complete stud.. thank you Tennessee.

atx840 06-14-2012 02:35 PM

I do not follow baseball but this was a nice catch!

Video

Anthony S. 06-14-2012 02:40 PM

Wasn't at Cain's perfect game, but I can now officially say I was at the next day's game when Barry Zito walked the bases loaded and promptly surrendered a grand slam, which is almost as good.

packs 06-14-2012 02:48 PM

Less steroids, more pitching dominance.

barrysloate 06-14-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony S. (Post 1003647)
Wasn't at Cain's perfect game, but I can now officially say I was at the next day's game when Barry Zito walked the bases loaded and promptly surrendered a grand slam, which is almost as good.

Agreed Anthony. Walking the bases loaded and giving up a grand slam is ever so close to a perfect game.:eek:

paulcarek 06-14-2012 04:23 PM

I was sitting two rows behind the Giants' dugout last night. Can't believe how lucky I was to be there.

birdman42 06-15-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1003503)
No real explanation why there have been so many perfect games lately.

There's an interesting article in this morning's Washington Post about the recent rise in no-hitters and perfect games. Basically it comes down to poor batter discipline. Lee Mazzone is quoted as saying that batters "are still swinging from their heels with two strikes. It used to be, guys would choke up and protect the plate with two strikes, but now there doesn't seem to be the same sort of stigma about striking out." Here's a link to the article. You do need to create a free WaPo account to read the second page. http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...4cV_story.html

Bill

barrysloate 06-15-2012 11:49 AM

Trivia question: what is the only month between April and October that no pitcher has ever thrown a perfect game?

And that's a good explanation of why there have been so many no hitters. But there is still an element of luck involved in each one.