Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question for nodder experts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=208127)

AustinMike 06-30-2015 07:59 PM

Question for nodder experts

1 Attachment(s)
I've attached a photo of two Mantle nodders I've picked up in the last month or two. I got the one on the right a couple of months ago and the one on the left just the other day. I'm perplexed because the bobble head on the right has a shiny finish, like it has a top layer of lacquer on it or has a glossy paint. The one I just received is not shiny. It has a flat finish. Is this normal? Should they both have the same finish? Also, they both have the same boxes. Should the boxes be different or is it okay that they are the same?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Mike

murphusa 06-30-2015 08:07 PM

One is the muscle Mantle and one the regular one. They came out the same year
The muscle is harder to find. Problem is most have been fixed at one time or another

Check with inside the park for more info

AustinMike 07-01-2015 06:23 PM

Jim, thanks for your response. I did know the Mantle on the left is the "Muscle" Mantle, but I didn't know it was harder to find than the other. Thanks for that info.

But my question was geared more towards the "finish" of the bobble heads. These are the only two I have and they have different "finishes." One is glossy and the other is not. I was curious if bobble heads are found with both glossy finishes and non-glossy finishes. Since these are two different bobble heads, probably made at different times, I suppose that I'm worried about nothing. But I'd like to know if both finishes are authentic. I can't find anything on the 'net that discusses the finishes.

More specifically, does anyone else have the "Muscle" Mantle? If so, what is its finish, glossy or flat? Mine has a copyright date of 1962 on the bottom (does that make it a 1966 vintage?) and is that a factor in the finish?

Does anyone else have the other Mantle? If yes, what is its finish, glossy or flat? Mine has "PATENT PENDING" on the bottom (does that make it an earlier version?) and is that a factor in the finish?

Again, thanks!

Mike

ooo-ribay 07-01-2015 06:42 PM

I understand your concern. I have a bunch of nodders....some are glossy; some have a flatter finish. There are definitely a LOT of retouched nodders out there. Whether the gloss finish is a flag, I couldn't really say. I will tell you, MOST of my nodders are glossy and, outside of a couple, I believe them all to be legit.

ooo-ribay 07-01-2015 06:46 PM

One more thing....these were $1.50 items, back in the day. I can definitely see them getting different paint treatments. I believe many of the dolls were made in Switzerland but painted in Japan....I'm not sure if anyone knows if there was only one or several paint facilities.

AustinMike 07-02-2015 06:25 PM

Rob, thanks for the info. Much appreciated!