Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Ideas for Storing Ephemera (Stubs, Postcards, etc.) in Binders (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=247042)

icollectDCsports 11-03-2017 11:53 AM

Ideas for Storing Ephemera (Stubs, Postcards, etc.) in Binders

I have an assortment of vintage ticket stubs, stadium postcards, pocket schedules, etc. for each MLB team. Right now, they're in stacks or in individual sleeves. Ideally, I'd like to organize them by team (not by item type) and somehow put them inside clear archival pages in one or more binders. Because the items are of varying sizes, I can't just put them in pages with pockets. I've thought of using clear adhesive corners to attach multiple items of varying sizes to acid-free paper or stiffer board backing inserted into one-pocket sheets, but I'd not be able to see the backs of the items.

If anyone has any alternative ideas -- particularly with photo examples -- please share. Thanks much.

ooo-ribay 11-03-2017 12:48 PM

I have many binders containing the types of ephemera you mention. I just use an assortment of single sleeves, two pocket, three pocket, four pocket, six pocket and nine pocket sleeves.

icollectDCsports 11-03-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1716602)
I have many binders containing the types of ephemera you mention. I just use an assortment of single sleeves, two pocket, three pocket, four pocket, six pocket and nine pocket sleeves.

That would work except I'd prefer to have items of different sizes on the same page for a particular team. For instance, combining a couple of full tickets, a stub or two, a pocket schedule, and a postcard. A mix that would be similar to that for each team.

Jason19th 11-03-2017 01:28 PM

I use scrapbooks with corner squares- if it's something really condition sensitive a put in a sleeve and mount the sleeve with double sided tape- for backs I make a nice color copy and mount right underneath

steve B 11-03-2017 01:49 PM

I do the photo corners thing, and often try to add some information if what makes the item special isn't quite clear - and in my collection that's pretty common.

Here's a postcard I chanced into at the stamp show, the card is on the front of the page, and the front of it is pictured on the back along with what looks like the photo the card was made from, and another pic from a boardmember.

I print the pages on acid free cardstock, and archival clear photo corners, which are getting hard to find in stores but easy to order online. Then into page protectors - Ultra pro are nice, but in an odd twist most office supply page protectors are made from archival materials. Nicer stuff gets "nicer" pages :)

Just be aware that this takes up a lot more space than stacking stuff, even if the stuff is in toploaders. When I did this with some of my stamps I went from 4-5 packed pages to about 1 1/2 two inch binders.

There are pages that fit tall cards that are nice for most tickets.
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=21493http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=21494

steve B 11-03-2017 01:51 PM

A lot of my other stuff is in magazine or comic book bags and backing boards in comic style boxes. Some of the better stuff is getting transitioned onto the custom pages, but I'm being slow about it.

icollectDCsports 11-03-2017 02:33 PM

Thanks for the responses and the great ideas. I like the idea of mounting individual sleeves, with various sizes as needed, using double-sided tape. And I could cut up multi-pocket pages to produce individual sleeves. For some items, I could use the corners.

Chris Counts 11-03-2017 05:50 PM

For years I've searched for the perfect solution to protect and display oddball items, and this part summer, I found it. There's a company called Vario that makes pages to display stamp-related items. They come in a dizzying array of sizes, and the pages are way sturdier than the ones designed for cards, so they can hold things with some weight too them, like programs. I bought them from this guy on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/benchez100/...53.m2749.l2654

Jason19th 11-03-2017 09:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pages from one of my scrapbooks

thecatspajamas 11-05-2017 08:57 AM

Why not use individual sleeves, and affix the sleeves themselves with double (or single) sided tape to a clear sheet rather than the archival paper in your scrapbook? That would allow you to see the actual backs.

While definitely better than most scrapbooking options, I'm a little leery of the corner mounts due to the number of photos I've handled with crimped corners after long years of storage in them. Definitely better than being glued to that standard black scrapbook paper, but they do still have potential to cause damage. This may be more of an issue of overloading the scrapbook, and could probably be pressed out, but I would lean towards mounting methods that do not bear directly on the item or result in uneven pressure on it for long-term storage.

icollectDCsports 11-05-2017 11:33 AM

Lots of creative ideas. I appreciate them all.

TCMA 11-08-2017 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1717123)
While definitely better than most scrapbooking options, I'm a little leery of the corner mounts due to the number of photos I've handled with crimped corners after long years of storage in them. Definitely better than being glued to that standard black scrapbook paper, but they do still have potential to cause damage.

This, and the paper corners can also stain the cards if they are held in the album for many years. There certainly are polypropylene corners out there and those would solve that issue. Plus, I believe the polypropylene variety are more flat than the paper corners and virtually invisible.