Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   This is why I like where I live (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248443)

Leon 12-05-2017 12:19 PM

This is why I like where I live

1 Attachment(s)
The view as I am on the forum. My wife left some leftover food in the fridge so when I got home from the Philly Show I could feed our friends. :) Many times there are committees. This is a single bird wake out in the lawn, near the driveway. It is much more clear in person, of course.

A group of vultures is called a committee, venue or volt. In flight, a flock of vultures is a kettle, and when the birds are feeding together at a carcass, the group is called a wake.

http://luckeycards.com/vulture3.jpg
and
http://luckeycards.com/vulture4.jpg

vintagetoppsguy 12-05-2017 06:48 PM

Nice, but too urban for me. I'm more of a country kind of guy :D

LuckyLarry 12-07-2017 04:41 AM

I had a bit of a mole problem in my yard that I was ignoring. Then this guy shows up. (notice the owl on the corner of my neighbors barn).
http://www.net54baseball.com/picture...ictureid=23623

tschock 12-07-2017 06:13 AM

You ARE Lucky, Larry. I wish our hawks would concentrate on the moles, chipmunks, and tree rats (squirrels, in polite society) and leave the birds alone. Not worried about the koi as much, since they are probably too big for the hawks to pick up at this point. And "Big Fatty" would probably eat one of the hawks if it was close enough anyway.

Snapolit1 12-07-2017 07:22 AM

I just learned more about vultures in the last 30 seconds than I have in 50 years. Cool stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1726707)
The view as I am on the forum. My wife left some leftover food in the fridge so when I got home from the Philly Show I could feed our friends. :) Many times there are committees. This is a single bird wake out in the lawn, near the driveway. It is much more clear in person, of course.

A group of vultures is called a committee, venue or volt. In flight, a flock of vultures is a kettle, and when the birds are feeding together at a carcass, the group is called a wake.

http://luckeycards.com/vulture3.jpg
and
http://luckeycards.com/vulture4.jpg

samosa4u 12-07-2017 09:20 AM

Leon, I just love where you live. You have a lot of space around your home, privacy, peace and quiet. When my father purchased our Toronto home in 1985 it wasn't too bad, but now it's becoming a nightmare. Condominiums are being built everywhere, and it is getting so congested. I can't even pull the car out from the driveway anymore. And early in the morning I can hear all the f***ing cars and trucks going past. In the summer I have to listen to people's lawnmowers. I'm only 34, so I can put up with this for a while longer, but when I'm older, I'm getting outta' here!

Leon 12-07-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosa4u (Post 1727243)
Leon, I just love where you live. You have a lot of space around your home, privacy, peace and quiet. When my father purchased our Toronto home in 1985 it wasn't too bad, but now it's becoming a nightmare. Condominiums are being built everywhere, and it is getting so congested. I can't even pull the car out from the driveway anymore. And early in the morning I can hear all the f***ing cars and trucks going past. In the summer I have to listen to people's lawnmowers. I'm only 34, so I can put up with this for a while longer, but when I'm older, I'm getting outta' here!

Thanks!! Exactly why (peace and quiet) I picked our 6 acre lot to build on 23 yrs ago, when we bought the land. We are at the end of a cul de sac, with no HOA, and can barely see any neighbors at all. Our block has around 12 houses on around 150 acres. WE don't have blinds or drapes in the house as they aren't needed. Our house is built north and south so the sun never comes directly in. When I sold my collection we bought a house to downsize to, about a mile from here, but decided to stay here. The other house has 4 acres but not as many trees....and it's on a cul de sac with no HOA but not at the end, which is prime. Hopefully we stay here until we are pushing up daisies somewhere else.

rgpete 12-07-2017 07:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My view of the the front and back yard along with with my farm field.

rgpete 12-10-2017 05:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We have a few Bear, Deer, Quail, and Turkey on our 13.5 acres

BillCross 12-15-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1727217)
I just learned more about vultures in the last 30 seconds than I have in 50 years. Cool stuff.

Same here, man, but make mine 30 instead of 50. :D

minibatsman 12-15-2017 01:40 PM

In and out of the city

1 Attachment(s)
My 5 acres is 3 miles from the beach. were I make my living. I am on a dead end road. surrounded by a state park. you find my house your lost.
I pass the state game warden? coming and going. he is like 90. sometimes I stop just to see if he is still moving ..
I haven't locked a door to the house in 15 years. sit on the back porch drink my coffee and watch the deer. there pets the golf course feeds them. what is that you have planted wish my field looked like that.
All I did know about buzzards was they don't have feathers on there heads so they can easily get in and out of a carcass.
one other thing after 30 years they have decided to put a road through my living room. the state appraised the house a month ago. haven't got that yet.
Its not how much do you want . it is this is what its worth get out.

FourStrikes 12-18-2017 04:28 AM

Leon, Bobby, et al:

plenty of "vultures" in the hobby - YOURS are of the good, natural variety:)

p.s. - beautiful properties! I'm in a SoCal condo and i ain't got shit except a minuscule patio!

Leon 12-18-2017 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minibatsman (Post 1729774)
My 5 acres is 3 miles from the beach. were I make my living. I am on a dead end road. surrounded by a state park. you find my house your lost.
I pass the state game warden? coming and going. he is like 90. sometimes I stop just to see if he is still moving ..
I haven't locked a door to the house in 15 years. sit on the back porch drink my coffee and watch the deer. there pets the golf course feeds them. what is that you have planted wish my field looked like that.
All I did know about buzzards was they don't have feathers on there heads so they can easily get in and out of a carcass.
one other thing after 30 years they have decided to put a road through my living room. the state appraised the house a month ago. haven't got that yet.
Its not how much do you want . it is this is what its worth get out.

I would be heartbroken if the city wanted to put a road through my house. I am a believer in not allowing eminent domain to happen. If you own something no one, or the govt., should be able to take it. Just my half cent....LL

minibatsman 12-19-2017 12:38 PM

eminant domain

Get this they want to know how much money I make.So they can properly appraise my home. What dose that have to do with the value?.
Mr strikes I was stationed in San Diego and San Fran wile in the service. Beautiful area defiantly a different culture of people . married a girl from Chino
no idea were that is . her uncle has condos somewhere in that area. we are considering moving there? . the next couple months will decide our move?.

LEON I think the columns on your home are fiberglass and pickets also . irrelevant at this time . when the time comes to paint them consider dry ice blasting before painting. you should never paint over chips or flacking on the rails. they look worst after painting if not brought back to a smooth surface. the cost of blasting will provide years of clean exterior handrails. if those are growing vines I believe you will hate them in the near future. there roots attaché and penetrate any surface. and become a real pain to remove and clean up.your call.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YAWL.

clydepepper 12-20-2017 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't compete with what has already been shared, but I'm happy here:

This is out my back door - several ducks, good fishing, and no vultures.

Attachment 299420

Leon 12-20-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minibatsman (Post 1730950)
Get this they want to know how much money I make.So they can properly appraise my home. What dose that have to do with the value?.
Mr strikes I was stationed in San Diego and San Fran wile in the service. Beautiful area defiantly a different culture of people . married a girl from Chino
no idea were that is . her uncle has condos somewhere in that area. we are considering moving there? . the next couple months will decide our move?.

LEON I think the columns on your home are fiberglass and pickets also . irrelevant at this time . when the time comes to paint them consider dry ice blasting before painting. you should never paint over chips or flacking on the rails. they look worst after painting if not brought back to a smooth surface. the cost of blasting will provide years of clean exterior handrails. if those are growing vines I believe you will hate them in the near future. there roots attaché and penetrate any surface. and become a real pain to remove and clean up.your call.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL OF YAWL.

Thanks for the tip, Bobby. Those columns got painted 2 yrs ago for the first time. They are the least of any issues. The underhang is another story. The top balcony has leaked a little bit for 17 yrs when it rains. I have sealed the deck as well as I can and it hasn't worked. I have given up. IN about 30-40 yrs I don't think I will care. :)

minibatsman 12-26-2017 10:39 AM

Homes

Raymond looks quite cozy to me. a bit cold for a gulf coast resident?.

Leon decks leak from improper or rusted out flashing could be a window in the area?. something is going on there. a water hose directed at specific areas will give you a idea of were its coming from . water follows the path of least resistance. it could be entering from 30 ft. from were you see it?. its the water that you don't notice that can create the most damage. I live in a high humidity area were moister intrusion creates severe rot and mildew . not trying to make it out as a national disaster . just something that you may want to resolve.

clydepepper 12-27-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minibatsman (Post 1732862)
Raymond looks quite cozy to me. a bit cold for a gulf coast resident?.

Leon decks leak from improper or rusted out flashing could be a window in the area?. something is going on there. a water hose directed at specific areas will give you a idea of were its coming from . water follows the path of least resistance. it could be entering from 30 ft. from were you see it?. its the water that you don't notice that can create the most damage. I live in a high humidity area were moister intrusion creates severe rot and mildew . not trying to make it out as a national disaster . just something that you may want to resolve.

Bobby- my picture is from a few years ago...it's normally very humid here except for the few months of 'real' winter. It rained last night and this morning but it isn't cold enough for snow...next week it will be, but there won't be any rain...so we have to document the few times we do get snow that sticks.

David W 12-30-2017 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This was the view out my back porch window 2 years ago when we had an early snow the day after Thanksgiving in Northern Indiana.

Needless to say....

This is why I like where I live.

minibatsman 12-30-2017 09:43 PM

beutiful

Dave I love your place. what's that house in the back used for?.

Raymond as for documenting snow I assume you are far south as I am. if we get snow in Gulf Shores al. though it has happened everything shuts down.

David W 12-31-2017 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minibatsman (Post 1734191)
Dave I love your place. what's that house in the back used for?.

Raymond as for documenting snow I assume you are far south as I am. if we get snow in Gulf Shores al. though it has happened everything shuts down.

That little house is a tree house I built for the kids when they were younger

rgpete 01-04-2018 01:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Enjoying the Snow Day

drcy 01-16-2018 02:21 AM

I live in the city (Seattle), but it's on the sea so we get eagles, hawks and such. Below is a bald eagle on a sidewalk a few blocks from my home. Seattle has actually gotten a bear and a mountain lion in the city. Animal lovers will be happy to know they were captured and return unharmed to the mountains.

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...79&oe=5AE7F9B6

Stampsfan 03-09-2018 02:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 308195

This is the back of our place, taken around Christmas. While I live in the middle of a city of over 1M people, we are lucky enough to back onto a provincial park.

The park is home to owls, deer, and the lagoon even has several beaver (how Canadian). I can hop on the bike path behind our place, and pretty much get anywhere.

joshuanip 03-10-2018 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my view.

Attachment 308505

Paul S 03-14-2018 09:41 AM

Spectacular view, Josh. When do the training wheels come off?:D

npa589 03-14-2018 12:20 PM

I'm loving this thread everyone! I don't have a picture to add at the moment - but I have 2 acres in South Florida (a lot for down here) and wouldn't have it any other way. Both my wife and I have to drive 30+ minutes to work everyday, but I'd go insane if I lived amid the hustle and bustle!

I also have a pole barn that I have begun to expand and close in. It was 25 ft x 30 ft to begin, and will be 25 ft x 45 ft when it's finished. It's my "little project". I'm not even sure what I'll use it for - probably half cedar-smellin' workshop and half cedar-smellin' man cave.

joshuanip 03-14-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul S (Post 1757407)
Spectacular view, Josh. When do the training wheels come off?:D

Not for a while. I got a third on the way...

minibatsman 07-26-2018 08:20 PM

eminant domain

the state took position off our home this weak. anyone to ever be in this situation fight. do not hire a attorney until after the state has there 3 panel jury . they will make you a second offer.
if not happy after this consider a attorney. this is your choice.
I did . I wouldn't if I new what I know now. you are guaranteed a jury trial. take it. no attorney and do your best . honestly is not there best policy.

2dueces 08-03-2018 01:28 PM

I feel for you. I just found out last week that a proposed route of the new I-369 goes right through our neighborhood. One of the 4 routes will displace us if that's the way they decide to go. Plans are 2-4 years. My house has been paid for since 2016. We thought this was it. 1 acre in the county, dead end road. We know all the neighbors. So, I might be downsizing, I mean really down sizing and become a full timer. RV full timer. Just buy a nice size RV, a diesel truck to pull it and travel and live wherever we want for as long as we want. Might have to give up the Harley, my art collection and card collection but oh well life sometimes throws curveballs and you just have to learn how to hit again. BTW I live in East Texas.