Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Starting on Tobacco Cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234312)

Hardspun8 01-23-2017 11:29 AM

Starting on Tobacco Cards

Hi, I want to get into the Tobacco Cards. I know a little about them from looking at them for years and reading on here and other forums. I was really wanting to know what a fair price on a low grade PSA or SGC should be on a common type card. My Girlfriend is just now getting into collecting cards and she loves the T206's or as she puts it the small cute cards. I was wanting to pick up a few low grade in the 1-2 grade range for her as a present and a way to get her involved in the world of vintage cards.

mrvster 01-23-2017 11:41 AM

Wow!!

hold onto that girl!:)

you are picking the right set....

some labeled me as an "expert"....but I'm just obsessed with t206...

email me any questions you have...

there are literally a ton on ebay/ or B/S/T section here on the board...

Hall of Famers and Cobbs are always a safe bet to hold value:)

pop me an email, I will help

peace

Johnny

Hardspun8 01-23-2017 11:49 AM

Thanks very much for the support and the help. I will defiantly send and email if I find something that stumps me lol. I do love the Ty Cobb cards. I have always wanted the 1914 with the bat off shoulder. I have been kicking the tires on it for some time now. I'm just torn between it in a nice condition or a Joe Namath 1965 Topps rookie. I collect vintage football as well too.

drcy 01-23-2017 12:18 PM

I would buy a lot of ungraded low grade commons. Skip the graded part.

trdcrdkid 01-23-2017 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1623400)
I would buy a lot of ungraded low grade commons. Skip the graded part.

I agree with this. Buy some reasonably nice raw commons first to get a feel for the set and the cards. If you and your girlfriend still like them, then go on to more expensive graded cards.

nat 01-23-2017 12:29 PM

Not advertising for him, and I don't know him at all, but somebody over on the BST side has (very) low grade commons for sale for $12-15. Maybe you can do better on the bay, I dunno (I'm not a set collector, so don't know what commons sell for there).

Hardspun8 01-23-2017 12:32 PM

Cool I will have to look at some of what he has. I'll let the GF pick the commons that she thinks are pretty lol. I get to pick the big boys like Cobb, and the rest of the gang.

Yoda 01-23-2017 12:34 PM

I applaud your decision to pursue the, "cute, small cards," and your lady friend sounds like a keeper, but do some more reading about the set. You mention the 1914 Cobb bat off. Well, the T206's were issued from 1909-
1911 for all the different tobacco companies involved. In my opinion the best reference remains Bill H.'s, "The Monster." Good luck.

gabrinus 01-23-2017 12:45 PM

coupons

You should start with T213 type 2 Coupon Cigarettes.....specifically ones that are up for auction on ebay right now.............Jerry

irishdenny 01-23-2017 12:57 PM

Mr. Scot Reader's,

"Inside T206's"
( A Wonderful Introduction inta T206's !!! )

http://www.oldcardboard.com/t/t206/i...al-edition.pdf

iS Always a Good Place ta Start Your T206 Journey...
Oldcardboard.com will give You n Enormous Amount of Info fir Free
Then I Recommend a Subscription inta Their World!

Email'n & Even CalliN Johnny is a Sure Bet( Howzit Johnny !? )
He'll Gladly Talk wit Ya to the wee Hours of the Morn ;)

Ya Also Can't Go Wrong Wit Any & All of the Other Paths
THaT Came & Will Come!

Welcome Aboard Ta Your BriLLianT Lady & Yourself...
THiS Place iS FuLL of Magical Wonders!!!

You Really OnLy Hav Ta Ask... "Truly!!!"
As You Hav JuST SeeN!

As Always my Friend...

Jobu 01-23-2017 01:38 PM

Lol :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrinus (Post 1623410)
you should start with t213 type 2 coupon cigarettes.....specifically ones that are up for auction on ebay right now.............jerry

buymycards 01-26-2017 05:23 AM

T213-2's

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabrinus (Post 1623410)
You should start with T213 type 2 Coupon Cigarettes.....specifically ones that are up for auction on ebay right now.............Jerry

Just don't bid on the ones that I am bidding on. :)

Jerry always has some great auctions on his eBay site. It is worth checking it out.

Rick

Leon 01-29-2017 04:03 PM

Decent looking but lower grade T cards can be found in the $15-$20 range if patient. Maybe even a few bucks less. I am doing a lower grade T205 set (T206s are great too) and am taking it very slow. Happy hunting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardspun8 (Post 1623381)
Hi, I want to get into the Tobacco Cards. I know a little about them from looking at them for years and reading on here and other forums. I was really wanting to know what a fair price on a low grade PSA or SGC should be on a common type card. My Girlfriend is just now getting into collecting cards and she loves the T206's or as she puts it the small cute cards. I was wanting to pick up a few low grade in the 1-2 grade range for her as a present and a way to get her involved in the world of vintage cards.