Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question for the board - USPS issue (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=224484)

ghooper33 06-25-2016 09:55 AM

Question for the board - USPS issue

Hello all - I am seeing if anyone has any advice on my situation. I purchased a very nice 1948 Bowman Berra from PWCC earlier this month, and the card was shipped promptly to my correct address. Between Amazon and eBay I usually get 9-10 packages a week, but because this card was almost $800 it was shipped with signature confirmation.

Here is where things went south: Instead of going to our door for a signature, the postman signed for the package himself and says he left it in my mailbox. Of course I have not received this package. I went to my local post office and explained my situation and they said they would ask postman for details. The next day the postman came to our door and said he signed for our package himself so we wouldn't have to make a special trip to the post office to get my package (my wife works from home and is available to sign at any time).

We go back to the post office and the postmaster confirmed with the postman that he in fact signed for our package and that they would look for our bubble mailer. The postmaster is asking me to file a claim to get the money back, but because the package wasn't insured I can't even file the claim online and have to file the claim at the post office.

PWCC sent the package to the correct address so I don't feel like they can help and I am afraid that I am just out this money (which is a huge sum for me to loose). Any advice on a course of action?

Snapolit1 06-25-2016 10:28 AM

That sucks. The postman clearly violated regulations doing that, regardless of his good intentions. Or not good intentions. I am very suspicious of the whole event as described.

Peter_Spaeth 06-25-2016 10:33 AM

PWCC probably has its own insurance. Not sure if it applies to this situation but at least ask. And go back to the postmaster and tell him or her that this is unacceptable, THEY broke the rules and need to make you whole or you will take it up the line.

By the way my postal lady does this ALL the time even when I am home. Just leaves stuff in the mailbox at the street rather than walking up our short driveway to get a signature.

7nohitter 06-25-2016 10:34 AM

I've recently purchased a flurry of cards...most arriving in bubble mailers. I happened to be home the other day when the mailman delivered them. He told me they were a 'pain' to scan and he hated doing it.

Hmmmmm......

ghooper33 06-25-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1554689)
That sucks. The postman clearly violated regulations doing that, regardless of his good intentions. Or not good intentions. I am very suspicious of the whole event as described.

The postman seems like a nice person, but it is a coincidence that of all the packages I have received over the years, the one he signed for is the one I never received. Then again I have received other packages with signature confirmation with no issues.

Peter_Spaeth 06-25-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghooper33 (Post 1554692)
The postman seems like a nice person, but it is a coincidence that of all the packages I have received over the years, the one he signed for is the one I never received. Then again I have received other packages with signature confirmation with no issues.

It doesn't matter whether he stole it, or someone else did, or there is some other explanation. They are required to get YOUR signature, or someone authorized to receive, not A signature.

pclpads 06-25-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1554691)
I've recently purchased a flurry of cards...most arriving in bubble mailers. I happened to be home the other day when the mailman delivered them. He told me they were a 'pain' to scan and he hated doing it.

Hmmmmm......

Postman sounds like a good candidate for a job change . . . maybe a dishwasher at Denny's? No gummint pension or bennies, but he wouldn't have to scan dirty dishes either. :mad:

RichardSimon 06-25-2016 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pclpads (Post 1554694)
Postman sounds like a good candidate for a job change . . . maybe a dishwasher at Denny's? No gummint pension or bennies, but he wouldn't have to scan dirty dishes either. :mad:

+1
He was just too damn lazy to do his job the right way.

gnaz01 06-25-2016 11:02 AM

I think Brent needs to chime in here. At the end of the day, he sent the card with signature confirmation with the understanding that it be YOUR signature, and I feel he can make a claim with the PO.

ALR-bishop 06-25-2016 11:12 AM

Confirmation

If you pay for signature confirmation and carrier fails to get such signature and package is lost, what is your remedy as the one who purchased the signature confirmation ?

ghooper33 06-25-2016 11:19 AM

Great advise so far - thank you so much everyone. This is incredibly frustrating.

I will reach out to Brent to see if he can help and I found the number to the post office Consumer Affairs. I believe him signing for the package is illegal and I don't think the postmaster at the local post office has the authority to help.

Jantz 06-25-2016 12:43 PM

You might want to get copies of the signature confirmation form, if you haven't already.

Then sidestep the postmaster and take this higher. You can deal with it now or deal with it when it happens a second time. Your postal delivery person, whether it was good intentions or not, isn't being paid to make an $800 decision with your property.

4815162342 06-25-2016 01:00 PM

Question for the board - USPS issue

This happened to me before, but luckily the package was actually in my mailbox.

http://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=190723

ghooper33 06-25-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1554733)
You might want to get copies of the signature confirmation form, if you haven't already.

Then sidestep the postmaster and take this higher. You can deal with it now or deal with it when it happens a second time. Your postal delivery person, whether it was good intentions or not, isn't being paid to make an $800 decision with your property.

I have made copies of everything. I am hoping the Consumer Affairs number can help, but otherwise I am not sure how to find who I can escalate past the postmaster.

iwantitiwinit 06-25-2016 03:37 PM

The Post Office has to be liable in this case. Their employee, good intentions or not, fraudulently signed for your package you clearly have a viable action against them. This has to have happened many times so there is most likely a standard remedy. P.S. Word is many postal employees have primo card collections....

ALR-bishop 06-25-2016 03:54 PM

The question is, liable for what. When you put something of value in their hands what is their liability beyond what it is insured for. Not looking for an argument. The signature requirement was purchased by the seller. I am curious what remedy the seller has for the fraudulent signature beyond the cost of the service if there was no insurance. Maybe there was ?

buymycards 06-25-2016 04:00 PM

Po

The carrier absolutely is not allowed to sign for your package. Tell the postmaster that you want the carrier to pay for the package. Btw, the postmaster can use Google maps to pinpoint the exact location of where the package was scanned. The carrier may have put it in the neighbors mailbox.

CTDean 06-25-2016 04:11 PM

Postal Inspector

I have had very good luck by requesting assistance from the USPS Postal Inspectors in Washington, DC. File a report on the Postal Inspector website and your Postmaster will have to answer to the Postal Inspectors, trying to explain what happened to your $800 package.

nebboy 06-25-2016 04:37 PM

I was once a USPS carrier and, my suggestion is the you hammer the manager hard with a phone call or in person and tell him/her it it's is not turned over to the postal inspector ASAP you will report it your self and you must stay in the lope with what ever happens.

jimq 06-25-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1554813)
The carrier absolutely is not allowed to sign for your package. Tell the postmaster that you want the carrier to pay for the package. Btw, the postmaster can use Google maps to pinpoint the exact location of where the package was scanned. The carrier may have put it in the neighbors mailbox.

I haven't tried yet because it doesn't make sense, but do our "new" scanners have an option for anything but delivered to an individual when it comes to signature items?

tedzan 06-25-2016 06:45 PM

Situations like this with USPS can be very frustrating.

However, the best solution to avoiding them (or significantly minimizing them) in the future is to rent a PO Box.

I have had a PO Box mailing address for all my collectibles since 1969. And, I can tell you for a fact that I have never had any problems with USPS in 47 years.

Nowadays, Box rental fees vary from $60 to $100 per year, depending on the size of the Box. This is a really small price to pay in order to have peace of mind.

Oh, one more piece of advice here......try to find a small branch PO near your residence. Believe me, in most cases you will experience friendly personal service
from the postal employee(s) at these branch offices.

TED Z

Stonepony 06-25-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1554868)

However, the best solution to avoiding them (or significantly minimizing them) in the future is to rent a PO Box.

I have had a PO Box mailing address for all my collectibles since 1969. And, I can tell you for a fact that I have never had any problems with USPS in 47 years.

Nowadays, Box rental fees vary from $60 to $100 per year, depending on the size of the Box. This is a really small price to pay in order to have peace of mind.

Oh, one more piece of advice here......try to find a small branch PO near your residence. Believe me, in most cases you will experience friendly personal service

TED Z

I use a UPS Store rental box for all collectibles bought/won

chaddurbin 06-25-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

TED Z

being friendly is how we got here in the first place. i don't need a friendly post office, just a staff that does the job competently.

bobbyw8469 06-26-2016 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1554908)
being friendly is how we got here in the first place. i don't need a friendly post office, just a staff that does the job competently.

You are taking his advice the wrong way. There is a difference between being friendly and being LAZY! Your mail carrier was LAZY! You definitely need to be friendly with your local postal clerks. Ted Z is 100% right. Get a small PO Box in a small office. Know the postal clerks by name. They can make getting packages SOOOOOOOOOO much easier!

ALR-bishop 06-27-2016 07:29 AM

This is a recent thread on CU

https://forums.collectors.com/messag...&enterthread=y

ghooper33 06-27-2016 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALR-bishop (Post 1555374)

I read this article - I guess too much temptation for some people to behave honestly.

For my situation, I contacted consumer affairs today and they have started a case for investigation. More to come...

begsu1013 06-27-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1554693)
It doesn't matter whether he stole it, or someone else did, or there is some other explanation. They are required to get YOUR signature, or someone authorized to receive, not A signature.

100% and if they signed "your" name, it's a felony.

the felony angle usually puts some fuego under some culos.

sbfinley 06-28-2016 02:01 AM

Quote:

TED Z

I can't agree with this advice any more. I moved from the city, past the burbs, and straight to the country after my father passed five years ago and the difference in service is night and day. Not that the metro PO was bad, but things went missing, lines were long, and shipping/receiving was just a hassle. Here I purchased a PO box at a small (two employee branch) and it has just been amazing. The two ladies know me and they know what I collect. They make sure everything is handled correctly. If I need stamps I leave cash and note a note in my box and they're there the next day. After two years of receiving numerous packages weekly they offered me the largest box they offered for a discounted rate (they had several open). My wife and I now have three boxes with the branch, but use only one address. If it's to my wife or her business it goes to one, to me another, and any packages to either of us are placed in the large box. Unless the package is twice the size of a shoe box, I never have to wait to receive it.

buymycards 06-28-2016 05:37 AM

postmaster

The Postmasters boss is called the Postal Operations Manager, who is usually located in another city, but threatening to call the Operations Manager may help. You may also want to tell your "nice" carrier that you are going to contact the police. The carrier cannot sign for your items. Period. It is not allowed.

Our new scanners have many options - delivered, attempted, business closed, etc, and after a delivered scan, you have to enter something such as - in the mailbox, in the garage, etc. The Postmaster can use the tracking number with Google Maps and pull up a map that will show exactly where this package was scanned by the carriers scanner. It only takes a couple of minutes, and I have been able to tell my customers that the package was put in the garage, or on their deck, and on occasion, I can tell them that the package was delivered to their neighbors box, or to 406 E. Oak instead of the correct address of 406 W. Oak.

Good luck