Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Card Flippers List on NET54 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=242398)

BleedinBlue 07-15-2017 09:56 AM

Card Flippers List on NET54

Does anybody have a list of known card flippers here on NET54? After missing out on a T206 Speaker on the BST board the other day that I wanted to fill a hole in my collection, I was disappointed to see the card appear on eBay within a week for $200 more than the BST sales price.

I'm not claiming anything dishonest occurred here. But as an occasional seller through the BST I would prefer not to sell to known flippers.

Does anybody have a list I can put on my "blocked buyers" list?

bnorth 07-15-2017 10:04 AM

I would guess most members are flippers to some degree. I know if I see a card cheap I can resell for more I will buy it. I see nothing wrong with flippers as long as they don't lie to get the card. I know when someone begs for a lower price because it is their favorite player(or any BS story) then relists it for more I will never sell to them again.

Just my 2 cents worth.:)

quinnsryche 07-15-2017 10:16 AM

If someone buys a card for a set price, isn't it their's to do with what they please? I don't understand the OP's complaint. Sour grapes because you didn't get what you wanted? Not trying to start a fight but that's a ridiculous complaint. Are we all supposed to declare our intentions on every purchase from now on? Someone got something at a good price and is trying to make a profit. This is still The United States of America last I checked.

markf31 07-15-2017 10:23 AM

I think once you start down this road, you will find yourself getting into some really grey areas. For example how long must someone hold a card before they try to sell it, where you would no longer consider it a flip? To the OP, hi Brian, you obviously don't think a couple weeks is sufficient, so what if someone holds a card for 1 month before selling it, is that a long enough time? Or maybe 6 months would be sufficient? What about 1 year?

There are very few things that I purchase, that I would not resell if I net a profit by selling it. Sometimes that is measured in years, but sometimes that has been measured in weeks. Would I be one of those people on your banned list then?

And is this not the business model that each and every single card dealer out there utilizes? They buy cards cheap to sell for a profit.

frankbmd 07-15-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnorth (Post 1681152)
I would guess most members are flippers to some degree. I know if I see a card cheap I can resell for more I will buy it. I see nothing wrong with flippers as long as they don't lie to get the card. I know when someone begs for a lower price because it is their favorite player(or any BS story) then relists it for more I will never sell to them again.

Just my 2 cents worth.:)

Yes, Ben, I guess I'm a flipper of some degree. However, my typical sale is a card that I have held for over five years.

So you can call me a tortoise flipper if you choose.

Hare flippers who list before their mail is delivered, particularly when some form of deceit or collusion is involved in their purchase from me (and this can happen here on good ol' Net 54), rankle me as well though. I doubt that this thread will generate a list though, but I have one.;)

bnorth 07-15-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1681159)
I doubt that this thread will generate a list though, but I have one.;)

Honest Frank that story I told you to get a better price was true. That T206 Jim Scott is being displayed nicely at the place I instantly flipped it to.:)

Tennis13 07-15-2017 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedinBlue (Post 1681148)
Does anybody have a list of known card flippers here on NET54? After missing out on a T206 Speaker on the BST board the other day that I wanted to fill a hole in my collection, I was disappointed to see the card appear on eBay within a week for $200 more than the BST sales price.

I'm not claiming anything dishonest occurred here. But as an occasional seller through the BST I would prefer not to sell to known flippers.

Does anybody have a list I can put on my "blocked buyers" list?

Flipper or not, once you own the card you can do whatever you please. It's certainly your right. The other day I saw beautiful 1933 Goudey cards I wanted, but the guy was on the shill bidder list, so I reluctantly passed on buying anything ever from him. To each their own I suppose.

I mean, if there is a single dealer on this site, they are a flipper. They find a buyer and a seller and play middle man and take the spread. I didn't know buying a card low and selling it high was a crime, whether it's 70 minutes or 70 years. I would be more worried about card burners, card cutters and card counterfeiters.

BleedinBlue 07-15-2017 11:00 AM

Clarification

To all.

I fully accept the principals of capitalism. And I understand that every card purchased will at some point most likely be resold either by the buyer or their heirs. Collecting focuses change. Financial situations change. People upgrade. I get it.

All of which misses the point of my question. In this case a card was relisted in eBay within days of being offered here. Probably the same day it arrived in the mail. So clearly this is an opportunity for somebody to make a buck.

When I sell I PREFER that the buyer want the card, not the profit. I don't sell often. This is not a business for me. When I sell here I generally list for 10-20% below eBay to account for fees I won't be paying. When I get several I'll take it responses I'd prefer to skip over those looking to make a buck. It's an imperfect request.

As for the card in question, if the net54 seller had asked $100 more for the card I might own it today because there might not have been enough profit for a flipper to go after. He didn't. Somebody got a GREAT deal. And I continue to search for that card. I'll get it. Just not this week or from this eBay seller.

pokerplyr80 07-15-2017 11:00 AM

I don't think publicly calling out members for buying then reselling a card is appropriate at all. Reneging on a deal or committing some sort of fraud is one thing. I would have no problem creating a list of buyers or sellers who actually did something wrong in a transaction. This doesn't qualify in my opinion.

martingale 07-15-2017 11:02 AM

Guess I'm in the minority here but I agree with the OP.

This type of action goes against the spirit of the board, if everybody behaved like a 'flipper' then nobody would offer items in B/S/T at community friendly/generous prices and would go straight to eBay themselves to sell for maximum reward.

Not seeing the item currently up for sale in eBay so maybe the 'flipper' recognized he did something wrong and/or is feeling remorse?