Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Why does Topps love to destroy history? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=165687)

RichardSimon 03-20-2013 06:27 PM

Why does Topps love to destroy history?

Here is an ebay auction with a chase card bearing a signature of "heodore roosevel"
Why must they cut up a letter and then destroy the signature on top of that?
F--- Topps,
from a Theodore Roosevelt collector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-TRIPPL...item3380ca2315

Mr. Zipper 03-20-2013 06:49 PM

Truly disgusting.

Chopping the end off a common Mickey Mantle signature is bad enough. Chopping up a Theodore Roosevelt autograph is nearly criminal.

The mind boggling aspect is this signature on a letter with routine content might be $700 give or take. The same signature cut up and out of context on a cheesy card and they are asking $2,500?

http://www.comiccollecting.org/forum...n_e_screwy.gif

jgmp123 03-20-2013 07:32 PM

Absolutely disgusting...showed to wife and her words exactly; "they're destroying history"

shelly 03-20-2013 08:16 PM

Richard you are 100 percent correct and those that have also agreed, you are all correct. I agree with everyone that said it is sad.
I have this one question. You have ten Lou Gehrig's autographs.Topps calls on the phone and offers you a more than fair price. Do you say no I wont take your money or do you say yes?
Be honest. Yes or No nothing else. What ever they do with those autographs are up to them.:confused:

clutch 03-20-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1105928)
Truly disgusting.
The mind boggling aspect is this signature on a letter with routine content might be $700 give or take. The same signature cut up and out of context on a cheesy card and they are asking $2,500?

Maybe the other $1800 is made up from that awesome authentic piece of White House floorboard embedded in it also.

r2678 03-20-2013 09:51 PM

On the Roosevelt auto for example, are the ends actually cut off or are they hidden under that fancy matte? Also, has anyone torn one of those cards apart to see how the auto is mounted? Are they taped or glued,or just there, held in tight by the pressure of the cardboard front and backs?

Bored5000 03-20-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1105928)

Well, it's 1/1 this way. ;)

packs 03-20-2013 10:33 PM

I hope Topps at least buys the signatures as cuts. Has anyone spotted a before item that got made into a card?

RichardSimon 03-21-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1105975)
Richard you are 100 percent correct and those that have also agreed, you are all correct. I agree with everyone that said it is sad.
I have this one question. You have ten Lou Gehrig's autographs.Topps calls on the phone and offers you a more than fair price. Do you say no I wont take your money or do you say yes?
Be honest. Yes or No nothing else. What ever they do with those autographs are up to them.:confused:

Answering hypothetical questions is pointless.
Give me 10 good Gehrig autographs and I will have 10 happy customers.

RichardSimon 03-21-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2678 (Post 1106034)
On the Roosevelt auto for example, are the ends actually cut off or are they hidden under that fancy matte? Also, has anyone torn one of those cards apart to see how the auto is mounted? Are they taped or glued,or just there, held in tight by the pressure of the cardboard front and backs?

John - these cards sell for such a ridiculous premium, when compared to a cut autograph, that nobody would actually take them apart to try to answer what you are asking. Why pay $2500 for an autograph that appears to be short two letters? You can pay a whole lot less for a much better example.
Just because some card company created a totally phony shortage by labeling the "thing" 1/1? Is that worth the premium that sellers try to sell it for. This is just the greater fool theory at its finest example.

RichardSimon 03-21-2013 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1106055)
I hope Topps at least buys the signatures as cuts. Has anyone spotted a before item that got made into a card?

I have not.
However, in the example I cited of Theodore Roosevelt, it is much easier to find a letter or document signed by him than it is to find a cut signature.

Mr. Zipper 03-21-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1106134)
I have not.
However, in the example I cited of Theodore Roosevelt, it is much easier to find a letter or document signed by him than it is to find a cut signature.

Right. With the exception of card companies, I have not heard of any dealer or collector cutting apart a letter signed by a president to make a "cut." They are sold and collected in letter form.

RichardSimon 03-21-2013 10:07 AM

And for $2500 I can get some nice signed pieces, yes plural, of Theodore Roosevelt, instead of one cut of "heodore roosevel"

GrayGhost 03-21-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1106173)
Right. With the exception of card companies, I have not heard of any dealer or collector cutting apart a letter signed by a president to make a "cut." They are sold and collected in letter form.

Coach's corner does that w their Hysterical autographs. (Note: NOT historical:)).

mighty bombjack 03-21-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1106131)
John - these cards sell for such a ridiculous premium, when compared to a cut autograph, that nobody would actually take them apart to try to answer what you are asking. Why pay $2500 for an autograph that appears to be short two letters? You can pay a whole lot less for a much better example.
Just because some card company created a totally phony shortage by labeling the "thing" 1/1? Is that worth the premium that sellers try to sell it for. This is just the greater fool theory at its finest example.

I'm with you on the chopping of a letter and the incomplete auto, but you must not understand why people collect baseball cards and why they hold any value at all.

Autographs? ZERO intrinsic value. Trading cards? ZERO intrinsic value. The value of these things is socially constructed, and it happens to be multiplied at their intersection. Greater fool theory? Lots of people think we members of this board are all fools for putting values on slips of paper that used to go in the trash. If people approached these things rationally, there would be no autograph dealers at all.

RichardSimon 03-21-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mighty bombjack (Post 1106233)
I'm with you on the chopping of a letter and the incomplete auto, but you must not understand why people collect baseball cards and why they hold any value at all.

Autographs? ZERO intrinsic value. Trading cards? ZERO intrinsic value. The value of these things is socially constructed, and it happens to be multiplied at their intersection. Greater fool theory? Lots of people think we members of this board are all fools for putting values on slips of paper that used to go in the trash. If people approached these things rationally, there would be no autograph dealers at all.

You are right in many respects Wayne but I can sell a Theodore Roosevelt autograph all over the civilized world but I could only sell a rookie card of Mike Trout in the good old USA. So autograph dealers might survive a bit longer than baseball card dealers in a rational world :);):D. But this is not a rational world, so why me worry?? :D

Wymers Auction 03-24-2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1106131)

A fool and his money are soon parted!

HRBAKER 03-24-2013 08:17 AM

Their products have become so non-compelling that even in despite of the lack of any meaningful competition they still have to have these "gimmick" cards to sell it. IMO

thecatspajamas 03-25-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1107476)
Their products have become so non-compelling that even in despite of the lack of any meaningful competition they still have to have these "gimmick" cards to sell it. IMO

It's actually come full circle in a way: Originally, kids bought packs to get the bubble gum, and would flip, thumbtack, or subject to their spokes the rest of the cards in the pack. Now, they buy packs for the insert, and still could pretty much care less about the base cards in the pack. It's just that now, the "inserts" are slightly less edible :)

GrayGhost 03-27-2013 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Someone on a FB page on my feed posted this "pulled beauty". IM SICK

mighty bombjack 03-27-2013 06:28 PM

That Jackie Robinson is god awful.

thecatspajamas 03-27-2013 07:17 PM

Is the 2/3 the amount of the signature visible?

r2678 03-27-2013 07:32 PM

I would still like to know if the autographs are truly trimmed or just covered by the matte.

GrayGhost 03-27-2013 08:10 PM

Fair question. if trimmed, as many of us suspect, its a travesty, as we have all said.

thecatspajamas 03-27-2013 10:39 PM

Whether trimmed or not, isn't the whole thing glued together? (Meaning, it's a moot point whether they trimmed the graph before sandwiching it between layers of cardstock and glue).

RichardSimon 03-28-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2678 (Post 1109285)
I would still like to know if the autographs are truly trimmed or just covered by the matte.

John - if you truly would like to know then there is only one way to find out.
:);):p

r2678 03-28-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1109431)
John - if you truly would like to know then there is only one way to find out.
:);):p

I know, I know. I'm going to a card show Saturday and will be looking for something to break apart. I have a few already but not so bad as that Jackie Robinson. I have a Nellie Fox I can crack open but prefer something a little less expensive in case I get carried away with the hammer.

:)

GrayGhost 03-28-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2678 (Post 1109451)
I know, I know. I'm going to a card show Saturday and will be looking for something to break apart. I have a few already but not so bad as that Jackie Robinson. I have a Nellie Fox I can crack open but prefer something a little less expensive in case I get carried away with the hammer.

Not to mention that if they ARE just "hidden by matting" and YOU CAN get the stupid fake crap assembled phony "chase card" apart without damage to the signature, the FULL SIGNATURE cut would be worth more than the made up, artificially inflated rare originally purchased crap chase insert "card":)

RichardSimon 03-28-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1109461)
Not to mention that if they ARE just "hidden by matting" and YOU CAN get the stupid fake crap assembled phony "chase card" apart without damage to the signature, the FULL SIGNATURE cut would be worth more than the made up, artificially inflated rare originally purchased crap chase insert "card":)

I don't think you are right there Scott.
The chase cards with cut sigs sell for much more than the individual cut sig.

GrayGhost 03-28-2013 11:27 AM

Oh, I know Richard. Why did I type what I did? haha.

RichardSimon 03-28-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrayGhost (Post 1109521)
Oh, I know Richard. Why did I type what I did? haha.